Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Master
Awareness, Potential, Consciousness, the flow of it

Hello,

Through listening to a few talks and wandering through my mind put together some pieces.

Mind you this is my wanderings and have not practiced or deeply studied these matters.

The thoughts came up and found them interesting.

So in my way presenting them here.

The Universe and us (being of it) seem to have awareness.
What lay within this awareness?

Potential(s) seem to, in my view.
From the potentials form manifests in its many varieties.

Does form give rise to consciousness?

As I look at this question it seems it does. For consciousness seems to be where one places focus. Which leads down the path to the next inquiry.

Can the Universe have consciousness without the manifestation of form?
Is the potentials (that may be) with in awareness where consciousness is formed?

If there is nothing (formless) to have or express that consciousness or there is no focus being done, then is there just awareness?

The formless being aware of the potentials, but nothing has formed in which focus can be placed, so there is just awareness and potentials without consciousness. Is how I'm viewing this.

A bit of riddle I know.

Looking at the progression or if you will the flow of it.

It seems at the moment, there is awareness, then thru this potentials are realized, then form rises and brings consciousness (focus). Form brings consciousness to the Universe, without it there is just awareness and potentials.

Perhaps some are willing here to shed further insight and thoughts upon this.

Thank you.

The interesting bit is can there be just awareness without consciousness?

Hopefully this is presented clearly enough.
Old 17-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Medicine_Dog

Consciousness is the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. Something that is not conscious cannot be aware.

Quote:
The Universe and us (being of it) seem to have awareness.
What lay within this awareness?

Or it seems to have consciousness and in that consciousness is awareness.

Quote:
Does form give rise to consciousness?

Consciousness creates form.

Something that is not conscious (aware). Couldn't or wouldn't need form, form is something that is manifested from consciousness.

Quote:
The formless being aware of the potentials, but nothing has formed in which focus can be placed, so there is just awareness and potentials without consciousness. Is how I'm viewing this.

If the formless is aware then wouldn't it be conscious?

Quote:
The interesting bit is can there be just awareness without consciousness?

Awareness comes from Consciousness so it's a paradox.
Old 17-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Can the Universe have consciousness without the manifestation of form?

IMV, no. I'm a hard emergentist. The universe has plenty of potential for consciousness, but you need the right forms to actualize that potential.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 17-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Master
If what we are is the sun then the suns rays is likened to our awareness . Consciousness is the medium of how one's awareness can shine upon their very self that's likened to a window .

The clearer the window the the clearer the reflection via awareness of the self or what we are becomes ..

Without a window there is nothing to be aware of within mind .

Without the suns rays there will be no reflection upon the window had and there will be no self to be known ..

Beyond self or beyond mind there is no window nor sunlight .

x dazzle x
Old 17-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Master
Hello,

Thank you for your insights.

Playing around a bit with this.

If consciousness gives rise to awareness, then what gives rise to the consciousness to have awareness to begin with?

The OP was a spark and admit was a little clumsy in the presentation.

So will present further thought.

Lets say I have an idea that enters into my mind. Now am aware of this idea. Yes, would agree that now it is in my consciousness. With in the idea are all these potentials. Now can just let the idea flow on by and not become conscious of these potentials or can focus upon the idea and bring the potentials into consciousness and manifest them into form.

At a base level energy or whatever may flow in the space may have an awareness/conscious of existing and may be aware of its potentials, but without giving form to these how would it know what they can do or become?

Perhaps its a loop, one playing off the other. Consciousness gives rise to awareness, which gives further expansion to consciousness and so on.
With in the loop lays the potential.

Is awareness and consciousness just reflections? Beyond these there is nothing? Yet it seems with in what may appear empty space there is potential for something to rise from it.

Perhaps missing something here that is tying this together.
Old 17-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Moonglow,
Even tho it has been explained, I still have a hard time with the diff between
awareness and consciousness...let alone what my dinner partner was talking about
the Christ Consciousness being the son of the Creator..(he's not Christian.)

My addition to this thread will be that you would SO like "I Am That" ...
Talks, Q and As, with Nisargadatta.

My friend who is very much into Nisarg. talks about the Nothingness and taking the seed of
the apple tree back to ...oh, I dunno...it makes my head hurt....but guys like
you would love the Maharaj Nisargadatta (deceased now).

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 17-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Medicine_Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
Hello,

Playing around a bit with this.

If consciousness gives rise to awareness, then what gives rise to the consciousness to have awareness to begin with?

by default, perhaps a Super-Conscious.

The OP was a spark and admit was a little clumsy in the presentation.

So will present further thought.

Lets say I have an idea that enters into my mind. Now am aware of this idea. Yes, would agree that now it is in my consciousness. With in the idea are all these potentials. Now can just let the idea flow on by and not become conscious of these potentials or can focus upon the idea and bring the potentials into consciousness and manifest them into form.

At a base level energy or whatever may flow in the space may have an awareness/conscious of existing and may be aware of its potentials, but without giving form to these how would it know what they can do or become?

Does it know what it can do or become?

Perhaps its a loop, one playing off the other. Consciousness gives rise to awareness, which gives further expansion to consciousness and so on.
With in the loop lays the potential.

Is awareness and consciousness just reflections? Beyond these there is nothing? Yet it seems with in what may appear empty space there is potential for something to rise from it.

Perhaps missing something here that is tying this together.

sounds right, it's a bunch of nothingness, that when heaped together makes somethingness, something being a subjective form of nothingness ..

It all perfectly makes no sense...
Old 17-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hi Moonglow,
Even tho it has been explained, I still have a hard time with the diff between
awareness and consciousness...let alone what my dinner partner was talking about
the Christ Consciousness being the son of the Creator..(he's not Christian.)

My addition to this thread will be that you would SO like "I Am That" ...
Talks, Q and As, with Nisargadatta.

My friend who is very much into Nisarg. talks about the Nothingness and taking the seed of
the apple tree back to ...oh, I dunno...it makes my head hurt....but guys like
you would love the Maharaj Nisargadatta (deceased now).

Hi Miss Hepburn,

Thank you for the link.

Checked it out and find it interesting.

I'm not one who ponders upon this constantly and agree if ponder too much on it feels like my head will explode.

At times curiosity rises and so present such ideas.

All in all it is the living of it it seems the best answers arise.

Can be fun though to toss the ball around a bit (so to speak) and see what others may inspire or shed light upon.
Old 17-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine_Dog
It all perfectly makes no sense...

Hi Medicine Dog,

Yes, it does all perfectly makes no sense when attempting to apply reason to it. For it seems to me this can be overshadowed by ones understandings and how one may view it to be. Which may not be as it is, in and of itself.

Exploring a bit the wanderings and expect no absolute answers, but what gets presented can at times give to me a new way of looking at it or calm the waters (so to speak)

Old 18-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Medicine_Dog

Quote:
Exploring a bit the wanderings and expect no absolute answers, but what gets presented can at times give to me a new way of looking at it or calm the waters (so to speak)

Introspection at its finest, thanks for your insights as well.