Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 31-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Master
where does society fit into modern spirituality?

The 'old order' was integrated into society. Religion was part and parcel of normal life. In the west society and religion did not contradict each other. I have apprehensions about what the new spirituality will do to society.

How can one have a society when the world is not actually a real thing? If our senses are deceiving us then how on earth can we organise ourselves into a functioning society? If other people are just part and parcel of our own self then how will that affect inter society relationships?

As far as I am concerned the society in India is very basic and dysfunctional. The west has a far stronger society than in India. At least it *used* to until the eastern spirituality came crashing through. With values such as community and love thy neighbour the western society was strong. The point here is "united we stand, divided we fall".

There is no unity between people as far as eastern spirituality is concerned. Because we are all our own autonomous God. How do you see the relationship between society and modern spirituality?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 31-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
The 'old order' was integrated into society. Religion was part and parcel of normal life. In the west society and religion did not contradict each other. I have apprehensions about what the new spirituality will do to society.

How can one have a society when the world is not actually a real thing? If our senses are deceiving us then how on earth can we organise ourselves into a functioning society? If other people are just part and parcel of our own self then how will that affect inter society relationships?

As far as I am concerned the society in India is very basic and dysfunctional. The west has a far stronger society than in India. At least it *used* to until the eastern spirituality came crashing through. With values such as community and love thy neighbour the western society was strong. The point here is "united we stand, divided we fall".

There is no unity between people as far as eastern spirituality is concerned. Because we are all our own autonomous God. How do you see the relationship between society and modern spirituality?

' There is no unity between people as far as eastern spirituality is concerned '

I presume you haven't studied Buddhism Honza...
Old 31-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:

It depends where you are.

Islam is the new Christianity as far as I see it - I think it will increase exponentially & become the most influential overall.

If that is the case then anyone under the blanket of Islam is a brother or sister - however as we see with Sunni & Shia that doesn't mean plain sailing.

America is going to be influenced by Latino cultures more & more so whatever faith that brings with them will hold far more sway than the "original" Christian preachers.

Under Islam food & music will be effected as will fashion however the western influence will likely still hold some sway so moderate views may keep the peace or at least one can hope.

Ultimately I believe that provided that there are no EMP issues that cyber augmentation will take over from religion or faith.

20 years ago we could imagine flying cars or beaming up because of SciFi shows, however I still don't think that we ever fathomed the internet or mobile phones in the way that we have them now.

I'd guess that the Singularity ala Ray kurzweil will be where society begins it's new era - whether or not it is an enlightenment ... who knows ..

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 01-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Master

Quote:

Maybe you aren't focusing on a meaningful question ... It all depends on your view of reality.

If you look from a vantage point, both society organization, and modern spirituality, are psychological constructs of secondary importance in relation to the purpose we incarnate for, here on Earth: to experience and learn reality creation.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Maybe you aren't focusing on a meaningful question ... It all depends on your view of reality.

There are always many variables at work in any given situation. It always *depends*........we need to communicate despite the ambiguity.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 AM
Master
Quote:

Greetings Honza.

As I recall my childhood in Bali, Indonesia, I am made aware of the country's motto, which was coined during a time when Indonesia was under more of a Hindu influence and there weren't as many Islamists or the persecution of Christians and Hindus:

Bhinneka Tunggal Ika...it is Sanskrit (Old Javanese) which means "Unity in Diversity".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhinneka_Tunggal_Ika

Quote:
“It is said that the well-known Buddha and Shiva are two different substances.
They are indeed different, yet how is it possible to recognise their difference in a glance,
since the truth of Jina (Buddha) and the truth of Shiva is one.
They are indeed different, but they are of the same kind, as there is no duality in Truth.”

The society in India is 'dysfunctional' due to the whole Caste System and that is something that New Age idealism does not have, so no comparison can really be made between pure Hinduism and New Age thought.

In actuality, New Age bears no semblance to Hinduism whatsoever either in philosophy or practice. Sure, they share similar notions of Chakras, Reincarnation etc, but that's about as far as it goes.

Also, in actuality, we could even say that society in India is 'dysfunctional' due to almost 1.5 billion people living in an area of about one-third of the whole USA, but when we look at the country, with all it's different sects, teachings, schools of thought which has been brought under the banner of Sanatana Dharma, there isn't as much 'dysfunction' or 'social unrest' as one would expect there to be, in a country with such a massive and diverse population...Hindus, for the most part are rather a tolerant bunch who do not instigate any political or social unrest, but will retaliate in 'self-defense' if provoked hard enough and for long enough.

Also, there are many/most in India who do not ascribe to the notion of Advaita Vedanta, or the world being an 'illusion'...in much the same way that the majority of those who follow a New Age path do not follow this rationality either.

How do we cope? by realising that we are ALSO an 'illusion' and so we are actors just playing a part, fulfilling a role out of duty (dharma) without getting the ego involved in it, by adopting the practice of Karma Yoga, or doing action without any expectation of reward, without any expectation of notoriety and fulfilling our purpose as we are meant to fulfill it...and this is called "Leela" or "Divine Play" - sort of like we're in an interactive video game and we're playing along and enjoying it, even though we realise that all the other inhabitants of "Sim City" are not real either, but we try and make them comfortable...give their lives meaning through compassion and empathy.

I hope this explains it somewhat.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 AM
Master
Hi Shivani,
It sounds like I criticise India and Hinduism a lot. I'm not trying to criticise but rather protect what I hold dear to me. The west has many problems. But it is all I know. There is a lot of virtue in the west too. It is all a complex issue. I don't see the west solving its problems by adopting eastern values. I think both the east and the west ought to adopt each others values, but keep their own values too.
By sharing the virtues of both sides of the argument we may end up with something more complete.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:21 AM
Master
How I see it and please forgive the bluntness, but both East and West will never be able to adopt each others values in any such way that it will be 'Eastern Values' and 'Western Values' in relation to how they are practiced in their societies of origin. The West will try and 'Westernise' it and the East will try and 'Easternise' it and much will be lost in the translation.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Master
You may be right. What I believe the east brings to the argument is the holiness of the inner "I". I have learnt a lot about how holy the inner "I" is since hearing the teachings from the east.
The west on the other hand teaches that God is objective and greater than the "I".
So between the two we end up with a holy "I" and a holy "God". Its all that we need!

Old 07-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Master
Wink Religion is useful to society

Religion was part and parcel of society yes, but it wasn't particularly spiritual was it? At least not in the so called 'west'? Sure majority lived according to a book, to traditions, and to beliefs.. but to most this probably meant trying to follow some rules, going to church, and having a fixed set of beliefs..

I can see where some of your criticism comes from though. Spirituality is often a very individualist thing. I prefer it that way since we are all at different stages in life. That doesn't mean you are alone or there is no sense of community for you. I do get it though.. it does help a society to have some sort of established religion out in the open sunshine... and have individual spirituality in the shadows... so to speak. But that is ultimately more a society's concern and less so a spiritual one I think.