Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 14-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Master
Love Your Neighbor as yourself.

This Commandment must be extremely hard to follow for those who don't love themselves.
We see so much self-hatred amongst Society.

When asked about self hatred the Dalai Lama said, "Self hatred 'what is that, he couldn't understand that some people actually hate themselves.

Where does it come from? I personally think some Religions play a big part in this ' State of mind '. Scriptures interpreted wrongly can cause so much Mental Anguish for some that they need Medical intervention to be able to get back on track, so sad.

So how can you love your Neighbour as yourself, if you can't love yourself ?.
Old 14-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Master
The earth is harsh enough to facilitate self hatred. Bad things happen to people when they are young and this sows the seed of self hatred within them. There are so many reasons why people hate themselves.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Master
That scripture today, is part of a core Christian teaching that is also a core teaching under the Mosaic Law which Christians still follow.

The full context is:

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

“Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

NOTE: the scripture also places equal emphasis on loving God as it does with loving your neighbor.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 14-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Master
I don't think it's impossible for someone that has self hatred to love others. Can make it harder to. Everyone is different, so it'll work differently in each case I'd say.

As you say, the Dalai Lama had no concept of this state of being. Hopefully this is his quote (please correct if it isn't) “I thought I had a very good acquaintance with the mind, but now I feel quite ignorant.”
Old 14-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
The earth is harsh enough to facilitate self hatred. Bad things happen to people when they are young and this sows the seed of self hatred within them. There are so many reasons why people hate themselves.

Yes your right but why hate yourself, that's puzzling. I know from speaking to others that some Religious Organizations play a part especially if they lure you in when you are young and fresh minded...
If you don't love yourself would you know what love is to give to your Neighbour?
Old 14-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I don't think it's impossible for someone that has self hatred to love others. Can make it harder to. Everyone is different, so it'll work differently in each case I'd say.

As you say, the Dalai Lama had no concept of this state of being. Hopefully this is his quote (please correct if it isn't) “I thought I had a very good acquaintance with the mind, but now I feel quite ignorant.”

The difference in Buddhism and Christianity is that there is no evil, no sin, no right/wrong, no guilt ect: as Western belief systems teach so they perceive things very differently, but that's another story

If you suffer from self hate can you understand /feel love and in return give it to others, from the experiences I've had by talking to people with these problems I don't think they can but as you said, everyone is different.
Old 14-01-2020, 02:25 PM
ImthatIm

As BigJohn said.

The first is to Love God with all your mind,soul and Heart and strength.

This is where one develops a true sense of Love.

But if your God is a condemning, punishing god you may be in for some hardships.

I listen to the Dali Lama like I listen to the Pope.They are just my neighbors.
Old 14-01-2020, 02:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The difference in Buddhism and Christianity is that there is no evil, no sin, no right/wrong, no guilt ect: as Western belief systems teach so they perceive things very differently, but that's another story

I am slowly learning about the eastern spirituality. I some ways I am drawn to it. But my past beliefs put up a fuss.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-01-2020, 04:13 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

I think this is a romanticized view of Buddhism.

There are all kinds of do's and don't in Buddhism.
As I understand Buddhism the main goal is to end suffering.

So the path that leads to suffering is discouraged in Buddhism.
This can be viewed as right/wrong IMO.
There are some of the same social failings in Buddhist countries I've been to
as there are in non Buddhist countries.

Though the wordings and phrases maybe different and translated differently
human nature is still human nature.

I try to boil everything down to 2 aspects, Love or fear emanating from within. Which direction is one traveling?
Old 14-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Master
' After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church. (Ephesians 5:29) '

Paul assumed that we love ourselves as it's part of human nature, part of what it means to be a human being, but that is wrong as we all know some who do not love themselves...

I wonder if self hatred is something not recognized so much by our Ancestors....
Closed Thread