Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 15-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter light
The thread is about upbringing. And I just checked the terminology per a major website and found this: "Child development includes physical, intellectual, social, and emotional changes "... Not sure the best term but I think it works. So I mean deep emotional issues over long term during childhood development.

When the family dynamics are messed up there are chronic long-term ongoing trauma. As opposed to a single event. This forms layers and secondary trauma called complex PTSD. So you can apply the EFT to certain issues but then other issues come up. It takes a while to work through it. And it may even be painful to attempt EFT until one is ready to deal with the issues.

Another factor is what the age range is when the major problems occurred. Some people have pre-verbal trauma as well where one cannot even get to a story to work on cognitively. In those cases one really needs someone else to be present with them in a safe space and listen for a while. And sometimes you make some progress but then regress and need to rebuild trust again. I'm not a therapist just someone who has worked through this. I cannot imagine doing this in 5 sessions of EFT. Maybe that is also why I never resonated with CBT as it seemed way too advanced for the self I was healing.

One more thing I need to suggest is don't try to compare another person's trauma against your own. This is very personal. What matters is how it affected you and whether you got overwhelmed. You will know by how hard it is to let it go and have to respect that. Becoming your own worst enemy and expecting yourself to "get over it" based on some arbitrary time scale just makes it harder. Must be patient and allow it to unfold.

You are right, I misspoke. Someone else pointed it out, I was talking about EMDR, but I have problems with acronyms and usually get them wrong.

Still, the OP's first post indicated trauma. I know all about what you describe and agree that there are layers, but you have to start with what ever is the most traumatic and then work on the other layers. For example a child that lives in a chaotic environment with inconsistent parents and no major trauma would benefit most from cognitive therapy. But someone who grew up in a chaotic environment with trauma would be better served addressing the trauma first.
Old 16-04-2019, 04:12 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHairedWoman
You are right, I misspoke. Someone else pointed it out, I was talking about EMDR, but I have problems with acronyms and usually get them wrong.
That's ok. I realized that developmental could mean lots of things, physical for instance. So I had to check myself. Wondered if I had been out of the game for too long and terms had changed.