Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolite
Exactly!! Actually wild life activists and forest rangers (me too!) are quite excited that there have been cougar sitings in the last 10 years or so. They hadn't been seen in so long, that they were feared extinct -- at least in Virginia.
Maybe there are more sightings because man encroaches on more cougar territories?
Or have the hunting rules become more strict? (on cougars and their pray)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Maybe there are more sightings because man encroaches on more cougar territories?
Or have the hunting rules become more strict? (on cougars and their pray)

No, the blue ridge mountains are still protected park land. The sitings were in protected land.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:30 PM
iolite

In the news here in Virginia recently. The Federal Government has moved the eastern cougar from the endangered list and declared it extinct. Though folks believe they still exist and sightings continue to be reported.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/ma...t/?partner=RSS

He's a handsome fella, isn't he?
Old 20-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Ciqala

we only have cougars, lynx and mountain lions here - and sightings for those are normal. Mostly cougars.
We had lots of cougars on our farm, i used to walk through their dens, never came across one thankfully. They do attack, anything that gets in their way, they are probably the only vicious wildlife we have here, and are of the least liked wildlife around here. No one wants to say they've sighted one because for those who have, they've been ripped to pieces. Many of my neighbours have had to keep guns handy, my one friend chased a cougar off his buddy with a chainsaw, i know of a lot of people who were attacked. Despite the myth of them only attacking small things, they go after adults.
They don't usually disturb the piece unless they are on the hunt, or someone gets in their way. They often disturb farms, try to get to the animals. Dogs are usually the most popular victims, just because they aggravate the cougars. But for whoever said that big cats don't attack, that's not true, they are predators, they are hunters. All animals attack when threatened. Even deer! A mother deer with a fawn will stomp down other animals to death, charge and stomp at humans, and dogs. I watched one try to stomp a dog, and a human to death once. Other than that, they are gentle in nature, but whenever many wild animals are threatened, especially protecting it's young, it attacks.

As far as the theory of what kind of big cat where - well on the island we have had grizzly bear sightings, when grizzlies don't originate from here. The theory is that they swim over to the island. Because who in their right mind would transport a grizzly bear. We've also had buffalo farmers here, buffalo originates from the plains, the buffalo got lose, and now they roam the mountains here! Maybe some animals travel across the lands and go do different locations, some may have been brought to places.