Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Master
Mindfulness

Knowledge does not mean mastering a great quantity of different information but understanding the nature of the mind. This knowledge can penetrate each of our thoughts and illuminate each of our perceptions ~ Matthieu Ricard.

When we are mindful, deeply in touch with the present moment our understanding of what is going on deepens and we begin to be filled with peace, love and joy ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
Knowledge does not mean mastering a great quantity of different information but understanding the nature of the mind.
Only in the context of this monk's life this expression may be appropriate.
In other professions knowledge is mastering a great quantity of different information.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
Only in the context of this monk's life this expression may be appropriate.
In other professions knowledge is mastering a great quantity of different information.

Indeed, lucky we not talking other profession aint it?

But in saying that, I wouldn't say mastering a great quantity of different information for other professions, sustain the profession alone. So where you cut short with a childish cheeky grin, I choose to be a little more masterful in my noticing..hehehe

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 13-05-2017, 02:34 AM
Suspended
Guide

Why is it called mind-full-ness?

Full of mind? I think something went wrong in the translation to English.

Source in Buddhism = sati..."to remember"

In the Satipaṭṭhāna-sutta the term sati means to remember the true nature of phenomena. How things become phenomenal.

To remember or be aware of what you are and are not.

Thomas William Rhys Davids (1843–1922) coined the term "right mindfulness: the active, watchful mind"

In 1845, Daniel John Gogerly translated it as "correct meditation,"
Old 14-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Master
Mindfulness is a meditation practice of observing one thoughts.

Many start of with observing the breath and with the silence from that they are able to then observe thoughts feelings, sensations as non attaching phenomena.
Old 14-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Master
When I was a young one, my parents would tell us kids to be 'mindful' -- in other words, pay attention. It makes me wonder if they were Buddhists in a past life. It just simply means pay attention, as I said. There's nothing really tricky about the word.

Since I started to study Buddhism a couple of years ago, I feel I easily picked up on what mindfulness practice is, and its benefits. I started out with common everyday stuff, like the dog a few houses away, and his barking and mournful howl on occasion, or the train nearby as it moves through my neighborhood, or the birds singing and chirping, etc. I never 'took in' that it had anything to do with observing one's thoughts - I think that's more like meditation than mindfulness practices. fwiw.

Old 14-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
When I was a young one, my parents would tell us kids to be 'mindful' -- in other words, pay attention. It makes me wonder if they were Buddhists in a past life. It just simply means pay attention, as I said. There's nothing really tricky about the word.

Since I started to study Buddhism a couple of years ago, I feel I easily picked up on what mindfulness practice is, and its benefits. I started out with common everyday stuff, like the dog a few houses away, and his barking and mournful howl on occasion, or the train nearby as it moves through my neighborhood, or the birds singing and chirping, etc. I never 'took in' that it had anything to do with observing one's thoughts - I think that's more like meditation than mindfulness practices. fwiw.

Fwiw you are right, mindfulness was not taught by Buddha, he taught 'mindfulness meditation, slightly different '
Old 14-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Master
What is Mindfulness?

Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance, without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/mindfulness

It's all the same :)
Old 14-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Mindfulness is a meditation practice of observing one thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I never 'took in' that it had anything to do with observing one's thoughts - I think that's more like meditation than mindfulness practices

One could also say:

Mindfulness is the practice of dropping the observation of thoughts.

I would say the word mindfulness is describing the action or higher and more alert/awake state of awareness that ends thoughts becoming phenomenal.
By phenomenal I mean thoughts producing or having an effect. You basically become aware enough to experience you are not your thoughts.

Being "non-verbal" internally in the present moment. Dropping the heavy backpack one has been carrying around.

Really mindfulness is about self understanding. It is about a person knowing from experience what liberation from their own thinking feels like and is.
Being able to recognize in themselves when they are there and when they are not. Then from these insights into self and experiences in different levels of
being or consciousness, they can try to "find" or achieve these states more often and deeper.

Things like "observing" the thoughts, ignoring your thoughts, meditating, watching the breath are all just exercises designed to give a person a different
experience in order to facilitate an insight into the nature of themselves. Maybe an insight happens or maybe it doesn't but that's why these things exist.
They are not "insights" in themselves as one can do all of these activities while staying completely in ego. But yea they can help lead to important insights.

The norm is a consciousness seeing and experiencing the world though the filter of thought and mind. Mindfulness is an escape or liberation from this experience.
Then one can experience the world as it is directly.

If you are experiencing the world through the filter of your thinking, even in the sphere of "spirituality" or philosophy, you are not practicing what the word "mindfulness" is pointing at.

Mindfulness is just the realization of what we are or perhaps better said, it is the ending of the doing that obscures where and what we are.
Old 14-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Master
Yes, Bodhiyana, this is what I've learned from my studies.

Definitely worth reading your post again a time or two - well put.