Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 26-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Ascender

Buddhism/Christianity

I'm just putting this out there in case someone on here knows something that I don't.
Is there a religion out there that combines the teachings of Jesus and buddha. As far as I know there isn't although there may be some very small sects/cults that do.
The reason I am asking is that I was born a Catholic but have practiced Buddhism for over 20 years and have come to view Jesus as the ultimate bodhisattva and I could see myself practising such a religion without any problems at all.
Thanks. Good luck and best wishes. Shaun.
Old 29-01-2017, 06:19 AM
Ascender

I've had no answers to the question so I'm going to try and re-word it another way.
To anyone's knowledge, has a religion ever been started that honors the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha.
I am aware of cao dai, a vietnamese religion that would fit this criteria however they also honor quite a few other people as well.
Thanks Shaun.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Master
There have been several streams of esoteric thought that take more of a Buddhist approach to Christianity, yes. "Jesus as the ultimate Bodhisattva," and not "Son of God" sort of thing. You have to approach esoteric thought though from a whole-picture view, otherwise you can get stuck in the specific belief tenets of each. The philosophy that uses the actual word "Bodhisattva" to describe Buddha and Jesus, is Theosophy. And an offshoot of Theosophy is the esoteric Christian philosophy Anthrosophy, which speaks in depth of Buddha as well and has its own kind of Eight Fold Path.

Other philosophies that relate to your question are Hermeticism (non-religious) and Rosicrucianism (Christian). Even Taoism actually. But that's a much larger and broader discussion.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
I've had no answers to the question so I'm going to try and re-word it another way.
To anyone's knowledge, has a religion ever been started that honors the teachings of Jesus and the Buddha.
I am aware of cao dai, a vietnamese religion that would fit this criteria however they also honor quite a few other people as well.
Thanks Shaun.

Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ' may interest you Shaun. Have you read his book ' Living Buddha living Christ ' it's beautiful
I know you asked for a Religion but he uses the teachings of the Buddha and Jesus in a unique way which could be what you are looking for...
Old 29-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh ' may interest you Shaun. Have you read his book ' Living Buddha living Christ ' it's beautiful
Just ordered it on Amazon!
Old 29-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Just ordered it on Amazon!

You will enjoy it

TNH says ' If you are a true Buddhist you are a true Christian ' and vice versa....
Old 29-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Master
Quote:
you are a true Buddhist
Yes I know.
Quote:
you are a true Christian
Yes I know.

Other things I know:
I am a true Taoist.
I am a true Hermeticist.
I am a true Druid.
I am a true Qi Gonger.
I am a true Thich Nhat Hanh believer.

I don't let things like religion and beliefs get in my way.
Old 29-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Yes I know.Yes I know.

Other things I know:
I am a true Taoist.
I am a true Hermeticist.
I am a true Druid.
I am a true Qi Gonger.
I am a true Thich Nhat Hanh believer.

I don't let things like religion and beliefs get in my way.

Yes you have to let go to be a free spirit
Old 31-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Ascender

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I'm quite familiar with TNH and plum village and I have a lot of time for his 14 precepts. I suppose we'll (my wife and I) just keep going on in the same way as usual.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes I'm quite familiar with TNH and plum village and I have a lot of time for his 14 precepts. I suppose we'll (my wife and I) just keep going on in the same way as usual.

I've posted in the past how, compared to the old testament, the New is Eastern in style and manner.
Buddha told the Truth. Spoke of oness and unity with The Truth.
Jesus is The Truth as it says.
God is Truth.

In Catholicism there is that which is referred to as, "The Eastern Rite".

http://easterncatholicchurch.org/metropolitan.html

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein