Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 27-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Master
Squats

Hail weightlifters.

Last month I hit 60 kilos on the squat, but it was a bit of a grind and not good form. I dropped back the weight to 45 kilos adding 2.5 kilos each training time, to get the perfect squat technique.

Today I hit 60 kilos (135 lbs) with flawless technique, straight down, all solid, and straight up again.

Not that heavy you say? No, it isn't. But 6 months ago I couldn't even do a squat due to poor body mobility, but every week I continued my mobility drills until I could complete the full range of motion.

To hit 60 kilos is a big landmark because that is putting full plates on the bar for the first time - and rocking it!

It is the minimum for what can be called 'strong'. Now it goes up from there. There is no more 'weak'. And after hitting 60, there is no more 'strong', either. There is only 'stronger' going forward.

Anyone who squats understands what a thing it is. It's the ultimate lift.

Personally, I think the deadlift is 'equally ultimate', and last time I pulled 100 kilos for for 5.

Come out of the woodwork you strong, strong people, for a new strong one has emerged from weakness!
Old 30-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Master
You work your way, there is no easy way, to that point where it is as much as you can do, and then you push that limitation to go past it. It hurts - and it is daunting because if you get it wrong you might get injured. The squat is not one to mess up on.

Because the squat is such a mammoth movement, it will show you where your limitations lie. There will be mobility issues - we all have these somewhat - and weakness areas such as legs, back, glutes, and the core strength which holds you stable.

Most important thing is to get it right. Unfortunately, most video instruction by professional fitness people on you tube is wrong! I presume that many personal trainers are not giving good advice. The trainers at my gym do this, and I see people who squat incorrectly and unsafely.

Because everyone has a different body type, one has to find the correct squat for their own body.

The best advice I have found on you tube comes from Dr Layne Norton, Juggernaut Training Systems and Supertraining06.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Experiencer

Congratulations Gem! Hard work getting there I'm sure, but good for you (in so many ways).
Old 08-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Master
Thanks debrah.

It's a lot of discipline, just to get it done, for the lazy bone is one's strongest, and it is the one which is practiced mostly.

What drive is there, motivation, the reason it is better to than not to? Especially this work of the heavy lift which is really very strenuous.

Look people, everyday I read of people experiencing life difficulties that drag them down, but all the research in psychology has shown that getting physical has positive effects. I ain't gunna solve anyone's life issues, do reiki or anything like it, but I can tell you for free that lifting heavy stuff will return in kind to lift your spirits.

If you're lucky you'll get bit by the iron bug and suffer a life long infection, and this is the sort of illness which can do no harm, a disease that doesn't debilitate - it gives you superhuman powers - yep, serious. It's a psychosis, an obsessive disorder. The diet is an as yet undiscovered eating disorder, and the pain is only for the masochist. Its the craziest sh1t there is. Totally SiCk!
Old 19-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Experiencer

You're not that old yet Gem but I can guarantee you, that if you continue and even were to just plateau (forever) where you are, when you get to my age, you will be thrilled that you did at least one thing right in your life which was to start taking care of your body!

I started exercising back about the same age as you and now, at the age of 62, I've scaled back the level of my workouts and found exactly the right amount that's needed to maintain the health, strength and flexibility that makes me feel like 'getting old ain't so bad'. So often I've thought how awful I'd be feeling right now if I hadn't picked up the weights 'way back when'! I have creaky days now which is natural, but I'm not shuffling, stooped, fat or breathless from walking across the living room. It pays off so kudos to you for just doing it! Now just make sure you keep doing it and you'll cruise into your old age just fine!
Old 20-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
You're not that old yet Gem but I can guarantee you, that if you continue and even were to just plateau (forever) where you are, when you get to my age, you will be thrilled that you did at least one thing right in your life

(and about time)

Quote:
which was to start taking care of your body!

I started exercising back about the same age as you and now, at the age of 62, I've scaled back the level of my workouts and found exactly the right amount that's needed to maintain the health, strength and flexibility that makes me feel like 'getting old ain't so bad'. So often I've thought how awful I'd be feeling right now if I hadn't picked up the weights 'way back when'! I have creaky days now which is natural, but I'm not shuffling, stooped, fat or breathless from walking across the living room. It pays off so kudos to you for just doing it! Now just make sure you keep doing it and you'll cruise into your old age just fine!

I was 49 at the start, and I thought to myself - almost 50, and if I keep going like this I'll be terrible by 60, or I could do something an be really strong and vital at 60. Now I'm almost a year into training, from bad shape to actually pretty good, and its just the beginning.