Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 AM
What does this mean, No good deed goes unpunished

No good deed goes unpunished.
Any exp with it?

I don't exactly get it.
I'll take all views. Thanks.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 AM
Master
I believe that it stems from the old adage: "you can't please everyone"

When someone does a good deed, there will always be someone who doesn't agree with it, and tries to decimate what good you are doing.

There was an incident mentioned on here a little bit ago about how a woman bought ice cream for a child who never tried it. It was a sweet, and generous thing to do. But some people were up in arms over it for varying reasons, some of them logical some of them just emotional.

Either way, whether the reasons are logical or just emotional reaction, the person who did the deed was punished and belittled by several people.

That's my take on it anyway
Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Experiencer

I understand it to mean, someone helps someone else, and a third person or party takes issue with that and starts an argument/creates a problem. For example, I remember one case where someone provided blankets for homeless people in the winter. They were arrested for encouraging homelessness, or some such nonsense. This was in the States.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:46 AM
Master
i see the statement "No good deed goes unpunished" as an affirmation that
the basic structure of the universe is hostile towards life and "goodness".
whatever is desired is thought to be contrary towards how things are geared.
it is, essentially, a defeatist philosophy of existence.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
it is, essentially, a defeatist philosophy of existence.
I would say that is partially correct. From my 45 years of recalled experience, and observation it is not a philosophy, it's fact. No good deed goes unpunished. I have spent my entire life being a good person. I have never had any good deed go unpunished. I routinely tell myself quit being a good person, don't do good deeds as it always ends badly. You need only look at the world to see evil has a upper hand over good.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Master
Like, 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions...'
Old 04-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Like, 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions...'
Good intentions and good deed are two separate things. A good deed is save some ones life. Which incidentally I have. And ended up wishing I hadn't. A good intention is meddling in some one's affairs because you know best. Which is always a bad idea.

Ironically I experienced. No good deed goes unpunished right after I posted my first post. I cut a little old lady a price break on a huge job. Naturally she kicked the bucket last night. Putting me in a bad spot. As I have invested a lot of time and effort in it.

If I had it to do over again. I would not save any creature, which I have many. I would not help a living soul, which I have many. I keep telling myself that's how I'm going to be. But like a idiot I just can't do it.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Master

If you do something you could get burned and taken advantage of. I've never heard it used in any other way. It is usually associated with acts of kindness or kindness taken advantage of.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownparadox
If I had it to do over again. I would not save any creature, which I have many. I would not help a living soul, which I have many. I keep telling myself that's how I'm going to be. But like a idiot I just can't do it.

Well then I'm glad you're "like an idiot"

I feel bitterness and sadness in your words, and I can relate to those sentiments. I have also done many good things and been criticized and even attacked for them. It's a lonely feeling isn't it?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Unknownparadox: Good intentions and good deed are two separate things.
actions and reactions are different things.
the way i figure it, people ought to be true to their own self... be authentic.
to set your intentions to maintain personal integrity is "proper" in my estimation.
it's fine to be 'responsive' to circumstances, but to be 'reactive' has the feeling of
being out of control over one's own behavior... a servant to circumstances.
i figure you've lent a hand, and rescued those endangered people or creatures
because it's in your nature to actually care about the welfare of others.
you hadn't done those things in order to gain some personal benefit, as evidenced
by results, and you haven't truly required rewards from those actions.
i see it as a good thing to be true to one's own values; to be authentic.
there's no need to fix something that's not broken.