Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Yes, it is different living in a Spiritual culture and a matriarchal one at that.
Matriarchal? Really? Well, little do I know then.

I thought only Pacific Islanders came from matriarchal societies, islands where women beat the drum and men dance the warrior dance and are good garden boys.
But yes, the mentality is different and I thought it might be a bit difficult for those males to define their roles in a Western society, plus they tend to put their (western) spouses into that matriarchal position.

Thank you for expanding on the ‘vision quest’ a bit more.

Oh, I found the Inuit words for what I had called/remembered (& perhaps not entirely accurately) as the child’s ‘first vision’ - they call it qaatenneq or silattorneq or ilitterineq (depending on which one of the 3 Greenland Inuktitut languages one speaks I guess... Avanersuarmiutut, Kalaallisut or Tunumiit oraasiat).

Online I found these quotes:
Quote:
Silattorneq in kalaallisut. Literally translates to ‘when your weather gets widened/bigger’. Weather and consiousness are kinda the same thing in my language.
And
Quote:
in Iñupiaq, there’s a word to explain the moment you remember becoming aware of the world. Qauġri is like your earliest memory of realizing you’re a part of this world you been observing.

Knud Rasmussen:
Quote:
The child gets a distant look in it's eyes.
The information retained at those moments or times is as authoritative as information obtained later in life.

Aboriginal Elder:
Quote:
Remember that one very special, magical moment you had in your early childhood .... That is who you are.
For me it was realizing who I was (a reverse coconut), where my consciousness (reality orientation) came from, with the vision – because gran and gramp came as if from ‘different races’ and from very different cultural backgrounds. So I do get this concept of ‘Ancestors speaking through you – giving you visions’ thing.

Quote:
Good to read your posts again, Friend.
Good to read yours too – and I also consider you as a Friend.

Old 28-08-2019, 05:18 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Matriarchal? Really? Well, little do I know then.

I thought only Pacific Islanders came from matriarchal societies, islands where women beat the drum and men dance the warrior dance and are good garden boys.
But yes, the mentality is different and I thought it might be a bit difficult for those males to define their roles in a Western society, plus they tend to put their (western) spouses into that matriarchal position.

Thank you for expanding on the ‘vision quest’ a bit more.

Oh, I found the Inuit words for what I had called/remembered (& perhaps not entirely accurately) as the child’s ‘first vision’ - they call it qaatenneq or silattorneq or ilitterineq (depending on which one of the 3 Greenland Inuktitut languages one speaks I guess... Avanersuarmiutut, Kalaallisut or Tunumiit oraasiat).

Online I found these quotes:

And

Knud Rasmussen:

Aboriginal Elder:

For me it was realizing who I was (a reverse coconut), where my consciousness (reality orientation) came from, with the vision – because gran and gramp came as if from ‘different races’ and from very different cultural backgrounds. So I do get this concept of ‘Ancestors speaking through you – giving you visions’ thing.

Good to read yours too – and I also consider you as a Friend.

It would have been more correct if I stated remnants of a matriarchal society.
Actually matrilineal may be more correct. But still remnants.
This is why the men form hunting parties. LOL

I would have to say that when a problem occurs the women are on it
and going after it, while the men are sitting back waiting for instructions.
I witnessed a group of women here on the reservation/rez chasing outside gang members off the rez.
I was impressed because it was fast and with one purpose and they had achieved their goal
and was back before I really knew what went down.
Old 29-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I would have to say that when a problem occurs the women are on it
and going after it, while the men are sitting back waiting for instructions.
Yep, yep, yep, that is what I meant by saying that they tend to put their (western) spouses also into that matriarchal position.
Taking it for granted they expect their women to play the role of a conductor/instructor.

Ahh, the temptation
http://www.punarua.nz/sites/default/...tCover_0_0.jpg
but ugh, the responsibilities …..

I prefer to make an idiot of myself in indig. egalitarian style …. i.e. searching for instruction from each other’s faces & then laughing yourselves silly at each other’s clueless expressions. Talking about love & joy.

Though going bush, well then you just shut up, space out & tune into the totality and take your cues from there …… magic

Old 25-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Master
P.S. ImthatIm

By accident found this video about the matriarchal system of the Tlingit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiTUsTpl8wc

Interesting.

Old 25-10-2019, 11:33 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
in Iñupiaq, there’s a word to explain the moment you remember becoming aware of the world. Qauġri is like your earliest memory of realizing you’re a part of this world you been observing.

Many years back I shared a memory with my mother from my family's summer camp on a lake in the mountains. It was midnight and back in those days many radio stations went off the air at midnight and played a going of the air melody or tune. What I remember is dad was sitting on one side of the kitchen table and mom on the other, cradling me in her arms. I was wailing up a storm and it was something about the sign-off tune coming from the radio. It was a cheesy ensemble of strings, percussion and a tick-tock sound like the clicking one makes with one's tongue and roof of the mouth. I remember it so clearly and from a third-person perspective. It's the most vivid memory of my life, bar none. I was witnessing the scene from somewhere slightly behind and over my mom, detached from the emotion of my crying body, mom trying to comfort it and dad quietly chuckling.

Mom was taken aback, and after a moment of silence and look of disbelief told me I couldn't possibly remember because I was just four or five months old.