Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 15-08-2019, 08:04 AM
Knower

Need Help ! Sambhavi Mudra

I am facing problems of numb legs during meditation. 95% of the times, its my right leg. The way its goes numb freaks me out and disturbs me from meditation. I notice that during meditation and if i try to ignore it and choose to move on with my practice, after few minutes my riggt leg go NUMB completely. As if it dosent exist . Which freaks me out alot.

I put cushions beneath my buttocks while in crossed leg position, i also tried putting two cushions. I changed my leg position. Still the problem is there.

Now i do meditations mostly sitting on a chair. But i really want to do it in crossed leg position since i believe it not only helps in reaching that state quickly but more effectively.

Please help if any body faced this issue and solved it.
Old 15-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Master

How long can you sit before your leg goes numb? Not everyone can sit cross-legged comfortably for any period of time. But it gets easier with practice.

You could try doing hatha yoga to make your body more flexible. Nowadays hatha yoga is considered as an end in itself but in some traditions hatha yoga is considered as preparing the body to sit more comfortably in meditation.

And the body should be comfortable when sitting in meditation otherwise it becomes a distraction, as you are finding out.

Peace
Old 15-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.kishan
I am facing problems of numb legs during meditation. 95% of the times, its my right leg. The way its goes numb freaks me out and disturbs me from meditation. I notice that during meditation and if i try to ignore it and choose to move on with my practice, after few minutes my riggt leg go NUMB completely. As if it dosent exist . Which freaks me out alot.

I put cushions beneath my buttocks while in crossed leg position, i also tried putting two cushions. I changed my leg position. Still the problem is there.

Now i do meditations mostly sitting on a chair. But i really want to do it in crossed leg position since i believe it not only helps in reaching that state quickly but more effectively.

If I am correct, according to Patanjalis Yogasutras, Asana is that which is light and easy. There is no requirement to sit in padmasana or sidhasana or this pose or that pose; all you need to do is find a nice and easy posture.

If you sit cross legged and fall into pain, that is not asana but self-torture. For example, Asana can be seen when we sleep... we assume a posture which is nice and easy for the sake that the body sleeps and the body achieves its goal... This is asana.

It truly does not matter how the body is positioned, let it be light and easy!
Old 16-08-2019, 01:17 AM
Master

There is truth in what Aknaton says, but at the same time there are good reasons to sit cross-legged for meditation, ideally in the full lotus. This is to do with the flow of subtle energies within the body. And for those who are fortunate enough to be able to sit comfortably in the full lotus, then it is a natural position for sitting upright and steady.

But self-torture does nothing for meditation. Whatever posture we choose, it is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Peace
Old 16-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Knower

I can sit in crossed leg position and can meditate for good 22 mins before i notice my right leg going numb. Sometimes its only 15 minutes. I have tried so much to keep my right leg at ease while in crossed leg position but still it ends up getting numb.

Stretching or hatha yoga before meditation is what ill try now.
Or else, some other posture.
Old 16-08-2019, 04:42 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.kishan

Hi jay.kishan,

The same problem is facing here. We need Asana Siddi for sitting long time, try yoga are pranayama before you sitting meditation
Old 16-08-2019, 05:21 AM
Master

In my view, posture is irrelevant. Be at ease. Lie down and meditate if we so prefer. In fact, it has the advantage that if we fall asleep, we do so at a higher vibration than what Netflix offers!

Old 30-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Newbie ;)

Doctors can help you because it seems to me you have pinched nerves.A being with certain capabilities can also help you !