Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 23-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Guide
Book recommendation

Can anyone recommend a book I can buy (from amazon) that would be a nice "literal" translation of the Hebrew book of Genesis to English?
There are a number of things I am curious about

Thanx
Old 27-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnrr
Can anyone recommend a book I can buy (from amazon) that would be a nice "literal" translation of the Hebrew book of Genesis to English?
There are a number of things I am curious about

Thanx

I'm not quite sure by what you mean by "literal."

There are words in Hebrew that have multiple meanings. Often context provides the one meaning out of many that is correct. There are times, however, when different readings, in context, could be correct.

For example, Genesis 1:2 - רוח אלהים מרחפת על פני המים

One word for word translation would be - a wind from G-d moved over the face of the waters.

Another word for word translation would be - the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.

Both are equally correct, both fit the context.

What is it you are curious about?
Old 27-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Guide
A large part of my exploration involves integrating modern physics into my spiritual understanding. I have done alot of work in this regard using the English version of the book of Genesis from the Christian translations, but I am aware that there may have been a number of differences introduced from the old Hebrew.
As such I am looking for something potentially "cleaner" to work from as a reference.
Old 18-09-2018, 03:50 AM
Master
What would probably help you out a lot would be a Hebrew interlinear.