Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 26-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Experiencer

Self Knowing. Fact or Fiction ?

Having an understanding of who you are is in some circles ( quiet a lot actually ) considered important. That said... Everything seems to be a matter a perspective .

That is to say, Once you have developed an understanding of you that sits well enough with you. You come across other perspectives of You from external sources. Quiet possibly differing views of how you consider yourself are made apparent from these outside looking in influences.

So just how can you be 100% certain that you are who you consider yourself to be?

I suppose a lot of self realization is based upon cognitive bias.

It is difficult in so far as who you think you to be may be in fact quiet different from who you actually are....
Old 26-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Gracey

Don't think we can be 100 percent certain.
Old 29-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey

Nor I , hence my question. It casts a bit of a pall over certainty regarding the self at any rate
Old 29-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker
That is to say, Once you have developed an understanding of you that sits well enough with you. You come across other perspectives of You from external sources. Quiet possibly differing views of how you consider yourself are made apparent from these outside looking in influences.

I believe this is one of many reasons why we meet certain people in our lives because they serve as catalysts to expose our deep seated internal "baggage" which in turn forces us to take a hard look at ourselves in order for us to face/resolve/clear these lower vibrational energies in order for us to realize our true nature ...It is one of various experiences of becoming spiritually awakened...

Of course this is coming from my perspective ;)

(Heehee...)
Old 29-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Master
Which one is self - the one who knows or the one known?
Old 30-03-2016, 01:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Which one is self - the one who knows or the one known?

Or the one not known yet?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 30-03-2016, 01:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker
Having an understanding of who you are is in some circles ( quiet a lot actually ) considered important. That said... Everything seems to be a matter a perspective .

So just how can you be 100% certain that you are who you consider yourself to be?

I suppose a lot of self realization is based upon cognitive bias.

It is difficult in so far as who you think you to be may be in fact quiet different from who you actually are....

That is why I reflect on the offerings of the external when activated to do so. I see myself as both the known and unknown of myself on a continued journey of knowing and not knowing. To only be what is happening right now in this moment, a temporary moment. So who I in this moment may not be the who am I tomorrow, because I am ever changing in this process of life itself. I see myself as a complex array of interconnectedness in this world and life, so how can I know myself unless I know all life in me as that, this then becomes what my life is and what I make it to be for me to know myself in this way. I can know myself in this moment, yet anyone/anything in this life, can upheave/change my knowing at any time, so who am I then? Do I learn to know how I am within the process of life itself ongoing and the I am no longer is what I am. And so the question becomes who am I now?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 30-03-2016, 03:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey

i feel quite the opposite.
i doubt that doubt can ever be 100% certain.
despite the fact that "total confusion" is a possibility,
i think that there is always some portion of (complete) knowingness
alive and well inside.

to be 100% certain of self, and then to evolve, does not negate that
prior state of mind -- it can be reacquired and incorporated into the
new improved version of self. rinse and repeat.

i advocate for Peace, and maintaining a belief system which requires
doubt to be a permanent feature seems incongruent to stability.

just my current, evolving perspective.
Old 30-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Gracey

Self actualization is enlightenment. I do think that all people are enlightened from the point of source. I do not think that people have this state in the flesh. To me, if one knows themselves, they also know and understand the universe for all is connected. Clarity is usually blinding while in the flesh. And in the realm of possibilities there could be some or one who has had or has enlightenment in the flesh and I tell ya what...if it was me, not one soul would know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
i feel quite the opposite.
i doubt that doubt can ever be 100% certain.
despite the fact that "total confusion" is a possibility,
i think that there is always some portion of (complete) knowingness
alive and well inside.

to be 100% certain of self, and then to evolve, does not negate that
prior state of mind -- it can be reacquired and incorporated into the
new improved version of self. rinse and repeat.

i advocate for Peace, and maintaining a belief system which requires
doubt to be a permanent feature seems incongruent to stability.

just my current, evolving perspective.
Old 30-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Pathfinder
To me, it means to step outside of yourself and look at everything that makes you, you.

You can be present in your thoughts, understand the how's and why's of each individual experienced concept. You can understand yourself biologically, neurologically, spiritually and subconsciously.. but it takes time and reflection.

Belief, sabotages knowing of the self and one must do away with that first. Also one should remember the self is fluid and you change, therefore it is an ongoing process.