Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
travelgirlfl

I found EMDR amazingly helpful!

In a hope to offer something helpful when I feel I ask for more input on this forum than useful input my knowledge and experience level on all things spiritual allow me to give, I wanted to offer this:

I've suffered from minor - major depression since my teens (I'm 40 now); there is a history of abuse & alcoholism/other addiction from both parents in my upbringing, and all the dysfunctional belief and learned behavior patterns that come with that. There's a distinct possibility I'm some level of bi-polar (though not the full-on BiPolar I that many know of when they think of this)...though my astrologer says the back & forth is just my chart (all air & water, lots of duality/Gemini , lol! :) )...anyway...

I've tried counseling many times (some help, but never enough...), aryuveda, acupuncture, herbs, yoga/breathing, etc. (never pharmaceuticals, though), and while they each offered something valuable, I still found myself with the same or similar struggles...

Then a few trusted professionals suggested EMDR. It stands for eye movement desensitization and reprocessing and was originally developed for treatment of veterans with PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder) I believe. I don't have links I highly recommend, any google search will give you the basics if you are curious for more exact info.

In sum, it works on the energetic patterns that lodge in us during stressful events, and helps (heal? reroute?) I'm not even sure exactly anymore what it does exactly, other than to say I noticed MUCH bigger changes in my mental and emotional states after several sessions.

I'm happy to offer what I can if anyone has questions; I'm no expert, but it worked great for me, and a good friend of mine (unbeknownst to both of us, the other tried & had success with EMDR).

Blessing on your healing journey....
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Aquarian

EMDR is a technique stolen from John Grinder, co-creator of NLP. It's a simple extrapolation from NLP's eye accessing cue model.

The premise is that our eye movements are deeply integrated into our neurology and forcing eye movements forces our neurology to adapt to problems.

As with most things in NLP, it's quite powerful compared to things like CBT although I'm not sure it's as effective as EFT.

There's a refined version called IEMT which I can highly recommend.

EMDR is proven successful with PTSD. In my testing, it works with any issue.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Experiencer
WOW! travelgirfl, when I read your post, I SWORE I was reading something I forgot posting! Same exact history, same exact experiences with same exact results. After years of trying everything, I was recommended EMDR a few years ago, along with CBT, and have finally gotten some relief from the negative self-talk and debilitating depression that has plagued me at times during my life.

Lately, I have been experiencing a bit of a rough patch again and am trying to get through it. But still - nothing like it used to be before EMDR. I too highly recommend it, especially for people who came from backgrounds/families like we did. Thanks for posting!

Many Blessings,

Qkev
Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Pinkroses

I have also had EMDR for anxiety/panic attacks with amazing results. I highly recommend it!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
travelgirlfl

Yay! I'm so glad others found EMDR as helpful as I did, thanks for your input thus far.

I've done some EFT, too, but the results were lack luster for me on big issues. I do find some tapping helps clear up stress energy in the moment some, like diminish it from say a 7 or 8 to 4 or 5 (shoulder tension, sometimes headaches, stomach quesiness that sort of thing).

I'm trying a Past Life Regression (tomorrow!) for some of the really stubborn issues (as recommended by 2 astrologers based on my chart...hmm....) I've been writing about (and will after the PLR experience) on that page, too ...there's some good feedback from others who have done PLR, too.

Namaste, everyone :)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Aquarian

It's part of the EFT protocol to get SUDS to zero and it won't work properly if you don't. Same with EMDR I presume.