Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 14-07-2023, 06:00 PM
Master
Red face Do you practice pranayama?

I am trying to do more pranayama practice but would love to turn this from a chore into a delight and could use some support. Assuming you are doing pranayama, what is your favourite practice and what do you get out of it?
Old 15-07-2023, 08:38 AM
Master
Different 'practices', no idea about the ''names''. What I enjoy doing is, during a yoga practice, to breathe in for xx seconds, hold for xx seconds, breathe out for xx seconds, and hold for xx seconds. For example, 7/7/7/7. After a while, in combination with asana's, it makes breathing so wonderful, almost 'addictive' (?)..
Old 15-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Calming technique

I don't get nervous very often, ha....so it was 35 yrs ago that I last did a
yogic breathing technique!
Driving to get a painful wisdom tooth out...I was VERY nervous...before that I had never had Novacaine even!

So at a traffic light I did a technique I learned.
2 first fingers resting in between the eyebrows, thumb at one nostril,
bent 3rd finger at the other nostril.
Close a nostril Breathe in to a count of 8, hold to a count of 8, close that nostril, now breathe out the opposite nostril to 8.
In that nostril breathe in 8, hold to 8, breathe out the other nostril counting to 8.
Repeat as much as you want. (How long is a Red Light?)

Needless to say I was totally calm walking into the office and walking out.
:)
It is quite a calming technique...I would imagine it would be great going into a job interview or before going in front of an audience

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 15-07-2023, 07:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Different 'practices', no idea about the ''names''. What I enjoy doing is, during a yoga practice, to breathe in for xx seconds, hold for xx seconds, breathe out for xx seconds, and hold for xx seconds. For example, 7/7/7/7. After a while, in combination with asana's, it makes breathing so wonderful, almost 'addictive' (?)..

Interesting you say it's addictive, Altair. This is definitely breath control, which is what pranayama basically means. Prana means breath as life force energy (prana/chi/qi) and yama is the control. Does it make you light headed or do you get energised from it?
Old 15-07-2023, 07:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I don't get nervous very often, ha....so it was 35 yrs ago that I last did a
yogic breathing technique!
Driving to get a painful wisdom tooth out...I was VERY nervous...before that I had never had Novacaine even!
Needless to say I was totally calm walking into the office and walking out.
Miss Hepburn, that was quick thinking to do that before your dentist visit! That one is called anuloma viloma "alternate nostril breathing". I was taught to use that one to balance the heating and cooling energy channels (nadis). I think during her last election campaign Hillary Clinton said she used it to calm her nerves too. I should do it more often. Thank you.
Old 15-07-2023, 08:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Interesting you say it's addictive, Altair. This is definitely breath control, which is what pranayama basically means. Prana means breath as life force energy (prana/chi/qi) and yama is the control. Does it make you light headed or do you get energised from it?

It gives energy but not like I want to run or something. It makes me very calm, so it works just before sleeping also.
Old 16-07-2023, 12:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It gives energy but not like I want to run or something. It makes me very calm, so it works just before sleeping also.
Thanks! Will give that a try tonight.
Old 16-07-2023, 07:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Thanks! Will give that a try tonight.
Great!

After a while you can notice the differences, maybe you like holding breath more (1st part) than not having it (4th part), or maybe the other way around.
Old 14-11-2023, 02:45 PM
Ascender
I do love some particular pranayams. Having purity is great to be able to imbibe the energy they release. From a sequence of pranayams as taught by a popular guru of pranayam here in India:
1) Bhastrika
2) Kapalbhati
3) Bahya -> Mahabandha
4) Anulom-vilom
If you like you can experiment to see what resonates with you.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:00 PM
Newbie ;)

I am only now learning . I started with Paul Bragg’s book “Super Powered Breathing” where there was mention of pranayama and I explored further . Pranayama has now become something of an obsession with me and why that is is because I discovered how much better and focused I am by doing this . It is hard to break old habits but I am determined . My question is - “ Why isn’t this talked about in the mainstream?”