Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 15-10-2010, 07:57 PM
stormdancer

Doing Nothing

An important thing that people often forget to do is to "do nothing".

It is assumed that by "doing nothing" you are not doing anything. But you are......You are waiting.

"Nothing" is a crucial important part of our human experience, as represented by the wide array of ways that "nothing" is represented.

There's the Zero in mathematics for Nothing. There is NULL in logic, which is even "more nothing" than Zero. There's a variety of "pause" symbols in written music, a period and a semicolon and a dash in literature indicating different durations and meanings of "nothing".

In life, there is simply Waiting.

When there is no indication or reason as to which path to choose, it is perfectly reasonable to sit a while and wait until one appears. If you have nowhere you need to be, there is no reason to rush there. "Stop and smell the roses" is a common expression of the value of just stopping and enjoying a moment, an hour, a day, or longer if need be.

We still go about our mundane needs of work and sleep, but it is fine to do "Nothing" as an active experience of inaction.

I think that this is the most paradoxical thing I've ever written that both makes sense and has important meaning.

Peace and Love

Storm xxxxxx
Old 16-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Master
Hello Storm,

I agree with the basic concept that just "being" provides a blessed service. I am not so sure that this involved waiting for something in particular. I see it more as being ready to deal with whatever life presents to us by responding to it instead of reacting to it.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 17-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdancer
An important thing that people often forget to do is to "do nothing".

"Nothing" is a crucial important part of our human experience, as represented by the wide array of ways that "nothing" is represented.

In life, there is simply Waiting.

storm... I agree that coming to 'doing nothing' is an important step on anyone's path. But I don't see this as Waiting, as waiting implies anticipating something that is not yet here.

Instead, in doing nothing we are simply being Present... with whatever is here now. In fact, life is only happening Now and we are only Being.

As I see 'doing nothing' it is accepting that living and growing are actually effortless. Giving up all the ways I had been 'trying' and 'expecting' in my mind makes a big difference in my ability to be whole and fully present.

Xan

Last edited by Xan : 17-10-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 17-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Master
I love doing "nothing" after I've done my chores etc. I work part time so I do "nothing" a lot and during that "nothing" I just relax, read, and be spiritual.
Spiritlite
Old 20-10-2010, 09:52 PM
November Decay

It's impossible for anything to do nothing; something composing it is always doing something.
Old 20-10-2010, 10:10 PM
JohnL

It's unfortunate that for most people doing nothing is almost impossible. Our minds are constantly active and chattering in the background. Perhaps the best "nothing" we can do is silence the mind chattering.
Old 20-10-2010, 10:50 PM
JEN

Hi Storm and everyone.
I also believe in the power of "doing nothing".... but I tend to look at it as getting out of our own way.... to let something else develop.... without our conscious intent.

Your making reference to There's a variety of "pause" symbols in written music, a period and a semicolon and a dash in literature indicating different durations and meanings of "nothing".
made me think about silence. It is the pause/silence between sentences and music that give clearer meaning to the before and after bits..... a clearer definition or understanding. It is the pauses that give each word a separate meaning.

I used to be a bit of a workaholic, in the field of community development. Though I didnt think so at the time of it starting, I have been given the gift of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It was certainly a tough road for me in the beginning, to 'do nothing', but now I am grateful for the gifts of time for contemplation, the gifts that a more simple life provide, and the precious opportunity to commune with everything as I wish.

So, for me, the doing nothing, is really the opportunity for just being without conscious effort.. I hope that all made sense!!!

JEN
Old 22-10-2010, 02:39 AM
November Decay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
It's unfortunate that for most people doing nothing is almost impossible. Our minds are constantly active and chattering in the background. Perhaps the best "nothing" we can do is silence the mind chattering.

What I mean is that, even when we are consciously doing nothing, our cells and everything composing our body is constantly in motion.

But you're right as well; people just can't slow down or relax any more, and for that I blame society. Everyone these days wants everything faster, sooner, better. No one wants or thinks to take a step back and just chill. Unfortunately, we're burning ourselves out faster that way.
Old 22-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Master
The real challenge, of course, is to do nothing in your mind... resting in the quietness of being... even while your body does stuff.

Xan

Old 23-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Guide
Doing nothing.. Nothingness.
Nothingness is not empty. Nothingness, the state of not doing something/anything physically allows one to find themselves because it opens the portal of reflection, which brings perspective.
Nothingness is a state of focus aware only outside the physical realm.
Nothingness allows one infinite possibilities and view points.

- My thoughts, no pressure : )
Zack