Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 26-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Kaiteekins

Book1 Tarot cards

I'm thinking about buying tarot cards, should I? I have had no experience with them but I'd like to learn about them so why not buy some c:
Old 26-12-2014, 10:28 AM
55Degrees

Go for it. Which deck are you planning on buying?

Personally I'd recommend the actual Rider Waite Smith deck or one of the clone decks (check here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards...te-clone.shtml) only because this is the deck that has infinite amounts of online information and the largest selection of books to get you started.

it is a wonderful tool for self discovery and once you have a grasp of the cards then the world of tarot opens up a lifetime of study (if that is the way you want to go). Tarot is like a learning a different language, it takes time to learn. Ask questions, find out other readers opinions on what they see in the cards, how they string their cards together, practice, practice, practice on as many people as you can even if its your pet dog or cat.

I found this lady https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO3...IdMdR9RljTIzaQ a total inspiration. She has a 10 part series for learning tarot on her playlists and is very informative.

One word of warning though, once you get hooked, you will probably want to expand your deck collection, You need very good will power to resist all the fabulous decks out there, or like me a large book case to accommodate the ever growing deck and book selection.

Good luck.
Old 26-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Knower
I think the doreen virtue tarot packs are excellent for a beginner or more experienced reader
Old 26-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Kaiteekins

Thankyou guys! I'll look into those deck of cards you've suggested 😋
Old 26-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Everly

Although some love it, I am not fond of any version of the Rider Waite deck. (It's very negative and I don't like the negative religious overtones, either.) I'm also not fond of using someone else's meanings for the cards. Even with Rider Waite, there are many variations on meanings, depending on the author. The thing is, they're all correct. They're all correct for the person who wrote them!

I've been teaching intuitive tarot for many years (novice and master) and while I believe the cards never lie, the problems lie in our own perceptions of those cards.

Look around, see what deck(s) appeal to you visually or instinctively. Get one. Look at them, sit with them. And as you spend time with each card, you'll know what that card means to you. You're the reader, not John or Mary Doe who wrote some rules down.

Example: Cups is traditionally associated with relationships, emotions, love, etc. But for one of my students, Cups always represents material things, particularly money. She's not wrong. She is the reader, and she must use the cards in a way that has meaning and makes sense to her. Her readings, btw, are spot on.

Tarot, at its best, should be used to trigger your own intuition, your own inner and higher knowledge and senses. Let go of someone else's meanings and let your own shine through.

I use Gilded Tarot to teach with (the black box only, not the orange). I've used it for years for teaching. I chose it because it has so much other symbolism in it, particularly astrological symbolism. All the symbolism helps trigger thoughts, ideas, emotions...and intuition. My students can choose their own deck(s) later, but for the classes, it's better that everyone is on the same page with the same deck. I also ask that they don't read the book that comes with it, until after the classes are over. They probably do, but they do stay focused on the process of psychic development with tarot.

If you really want to learn someone else's meanings, look for a deck with the instruction book written by Barbara Moore. She's good. That's why so many tarot creators turn to her to write the book for their cards. She's able to perceive the nuances and differences in each card, each deck, etc.

Lastly, try to discern the difference between tarot and oracle decks. There is some overlap and it can be hard, but try to stick with tarot. Oracle cards can be wonderful, but they'll teach you nothing about tarot.
Old 26-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Kaiteekins

Thankyou so much!
Old 26-12-2014, 11:40 PM
55Degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly
Although some love it, I am not fond of any version of the Rider Waite deck. (It's very negative and I don't like the negative religious overtones, either.) I'm also not fond of using someone else's meanings for the cards. Even with Rider Waite, there are many variations on meanings, depending on the author. The thing is, they're all correct. They're all correct for the person who wrote them!

I've been teaching intuitive tarot for many years (novice and master) and while I believe the cards never lie, the problems lie in our own perceptions of those cards.

Look around, see what deck(s) appeal to you visually or instinctively. Get one. Look at them, sit with them. And as you spend time with each card, you'll know what that card means to you. You're the reader, not John or Mary Doe who wrote some rules down.

Example: Cups is traditionally associated with relationships, emotions, love, etc. But for one of my students, Cups always represents material things, particularly money. She's not wrong. She is the reader, and she must use the cards in a way that has meaning and makes sense to her. Her readings, btw, are spot on.

Tarot, at its best, should be used to trigger your own intuition, your own inner and higher knowledge and senses. Let go of someone else's meanings and let your own shine through.

I use Gilded Tarot to teach with (the black box only, not the orange). I've used it for years for teaching. I chose it because it has so much other symbolism in it, particularly astrological symbolism. All the symbolism helps trigger thoughts, ideas, emotions...and intuition. My students can choose their own deck(s) later, but for the classes, it's better that everyone is on the same page with the same deck. I also ask that they don't read the book that comes with it, until after the classes are over. They probably do, but they do stay focused on the process of psychic development with tarot.

If you really want to learn someone else's meanings, look for a deck with the instruction book written by Barbara Moore. She's good. That's why so many tarot creators turn to her to write the book for their cards. She's able to perceive the nuances and differences in each card, each deck, etc.

Lastly, try to discern the difference between tarot and oracle decks. There is some overlap and it can be hard, but try to stick with tarot. Oracle cards can be wonderful, but they'll teach you nothing about tarot.

Hi Everly
I agree with a lot of the points you make, however, for the majority of people wanting to learn tarot, me included, there are no P2P classes on tarot to attend, (you could always come and live near me tho as I'd love to have a real teacher lol) therefore relying on other resources (internet, books, youtube channels) is sometimes the only way to find any helpful information. I utilise all these resources, yet still read intuitively

I believe everybody eventually finds their own way with tarot. I started with RWS because the majority of the information available was based on this deck so its usually the go to deck for beginners (as your classes were based on Gilded Tarot this deck would be your students stepping stone/go to deck) but the RWS is not a deck I ever use now as I found it jarring to look at. Yet everywhere I looked for help regarding tarot based their information on that deck RWS was only the starting block to help me learn what tarot was about and found Legacy of the Divine (another beautiful deck by Ciro) to speak much more clearly.

As you say deck preference is very personal, you just need to look at my wish list, but like reading books, we all start with the Janet and John ones and build from there.

Just my 2 pennies worth, but seriously you need to move to my neck of the woods and set up some tarot classes
Old 27-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces_Moon
I agree with a lot of the points you make, however, for the majority of people wanting to learn tarot, me included, there are no P2P classes on tarot to attend, (you could always come and live near me tho as I'd love to have a real teacher lol) therefore relying on other resources (internet, books, youtube channels) is sometimes the only way to find any helpful information. I utilise all these resources, yet still read intuitively

Excellent point.

Quote:
but the RWS is not a deck I ever use now as I found it jarring to look at.

So true! I have never been able to appreciate it for the same reason. I find it...well, jarring.

Quote:
Just my 2 pennies worth, but seriously you need to move to my neck of the woods and set up some tarot classes

You made good points. I've been teaching so long that I forget what it's like to be a beginner. My students are usually beginners, but they have to do it my way. Thanks for your input; I think it's valuable.
Old 27-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Knower
I have a tarot course that is very good dm me if you would like a copy (anyone)
Old 27-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Master
If you feel like doing Tarot, go for it!
My advice: buy a deck that really appeals to you, otherwise you won't be able to connect to the cards.

It can indeed be handy to start with Rider Wait or something similar that appeals to you more, because most info on cards is based on this deck.
I got Robin Wood myself, because I also found the Rider Waite jarring to look at.
Robin Wood is an excellent beginners deck, and it can still be used by a more advanced reader. I don't think I'll ever get another Tarot deck (I'm a 'stick to 1 deck' girl when it comes to Tarot and Lenormand).