Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 10-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Knower

How can you tell genuine real authentic Carnelian crystals?

Just curious how can you tell if it's a real Carnelians and are not dyed or fake?

Because some sites says that -- Recently, natural carnelian has become extremely rare and in order to keep up with demand, many carnelian stones are actually agate stones that have been dyed and heated to obtain their carnelian colors.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Ipolani

Wow, that is really too bad. I don't like the fake stones either. What's worse is that some reputable crystal shops inadvertently sell the fake stuff, so we always have to be on the lookout!

I didn't know there was fake Carnelian. But I did hear that if you suspect a stone of being dyed, particularly agate, you can sit the stone in a bowl of water for a few hours and see if the water turns color. The dye can sometimes seep out.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:29 AM
Everly

Every stone is faked. As mentioned, even good stores get duped. The only way to tell sometimes is to consult with a GIA-certified gemologist, but many (if not most) of them have little or no experience with anything other than precious and semi-precious gems.

Remember that the color is as important as the stone's energy. Color is light and light has its own energy. Even fake ones can be useful if your intent remains.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:05 PM
wanderlusterer

I guess you could always try the scratch test... though i doubt the shops would let you. Perhaps bring a rough quartz pebble and pretend to be measuring sizes or something while discreetly rubbing them together or something

That aside... I think carnelian is still one of the more common crystals, so I wouldnt worry too much about it?
Old 12-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Experiencer
If you buy pocket sized tumbled stones then it might be a bit difficult to tell the difference, bigger pieces are more obvious. I don't know how to explain it though, I can just notice it when I see it in person. If you do get a dyed or heat treated Agate don't feel too bad since Agates and Carnelian are both Chalcedony. In short and simple terms; Agate is a banded chalcedony (different colors available) and Carnelian is an red-ish to orange Chalcedony with or without banding.

I am a bit skeptical on the harder to find claim since Carnelian is a common crystal, maybe high quality is a bit more difficult to find. Agates are a lot more common than the specific color of Carnelian which makes Agate a cheaper priced crystal than Carnelian so perhaps sellers rather buy the cheaper priced dyed/heat treated Agates.
Old 13-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Master
I'm with Selbor in the skeptical corner when it comes to Carnelian being rare.
I mostly buy from a good shop, they got very high quality crystals, they can both feel crystals and their energies as tell what's fake and what isn't. And they buy from good sources only, often directly from miners. I.e. they got access to the owner of the Mt Shasta opal mine. They buy directly of him (he only sells to some 20 distributors worldwide, very selective whom he sells to).

I've never seen fake carnelian, so not a clue whether or not I could tell the difference. I got the Madagascar ones, ones seen a crystal clear & very high quality orange one, not the Madagascar variety. Stunning piece! Regret not buying it.