Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 29-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Suspended
Healing Sciatica

Just when I seemed to be getting better with the physio exerises, I wake up with a great pain, I could barely stand up three days ago. Standing though seemed to ease the pain over time. Today I felt the pain in my other leg so it seems to be getting more serious. I don't think the GP is back until next week, although I believe it will be slow progress.

Does anyone have experice treating this, massage for example or pilates, do such things help with this problem?
Old 29-12-2015, 01:28 AM
Master
I haven't read any of your other threads so I'm not familiar with all your medical issues. I'm currently being treated for sciatica by a chiropractor. My ex had it and I sent him to my chiro and fixed him up. The regular doctors gave him shots for pain and he still couldn't walk so chiropractics is the only way to go from our experiences. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Old 29-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Suspended
Thank you, I hope your healing goes well too & that things are not too painful. I think I'm going to be having time off sick with this now. My doctor has pointed out that there's an order to work through in treating sciatica so I'm looking for ways to ease the pain.
Old 29-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Master
A good Chiropractor and I recommend you to ask for electronic muscle stimulator, plus some good medication. With the electronic muscle stimulator treatment you will get relief right away. That did miracle for someone that I know. Two appointments and the pain stop completely and that person is not currently taking pain meds anymore, it was only temporally to ease the pain. I don't have much experience but Pilates might just make it much worse, I wouldn't even try that unless the doctor tells you so.
Old 30-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Suspended
Thank you, yes a Chiropractor might be the answer long term, I have to wait another week to see my doctor though. I've been to the library a brought back some books that might help. One of them looks at coping with pain using natural methods, it's quite spiritual in that sense, so I'm looking forward getting through it.
Old 30-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
I also get sciatica. Most times it is a 'liveable-with' level. Though I feel it every single day. There are times when it flares up very badly, and I remember a time when I could hardly walk at all. I had to stay on the floor, and crawl on all fours like a dog. That was the only way it was bearable.

It is definitely from an area on my lower back just near the sacro-iliac joint. The doctors have all reassured me it is NOT a herniated disk. Then they prescribed Codeine which I refused to take. Anti-inflammatories worked for me though. So did rest.
The chiropractor also said it was not joint damage, but ligament displacement and a general displacement of the pelvic area.
It could have originated from a car accident many years ago. But of course at the time I didn't know, so it wasn't made allowances for on the insurance claim (Compensation -as the accident was not my fault legally.) Pity really, as this has hurt me since 1997.
I find the advice here very useful. I will check out the "muscle simulator", and see if it is available in my country (UK)
Old 30-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Master

I found great relief from acupuncture. Then there are long term things to consider, not to sit crossed-legged, good posture, ensuring my pelvis is tilted up not down as much as possible (think Elvis, pelvic thrust!). Even watching telly, I try to sit carefully.

Bad times, a pillow under my knees in bed seems to help, it's awkward at first to sleep but I did get used to it. Alternatively, if on my side, the pillow goes inbetwen the knees to keep pelvis straight.

Anything to avoid pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 AM
Master
My husband is a massage therapist also studying acupuncture, he does the most amazing release technique on sciatica ,we are in Aus thought Astro ,there must be others that know it ,briefly you lie on your stomach bend up your knee, pressure is put on the area with thumb or elbow in buttock ,sciatic nerve and the leg from the knee downwards is gently, slowly moved from side to side so in and out , not more then half dozen times ,always works ,hope you are getting some relief Astro ,Ive always just lied on the floor and brought knees to chest one at a time and then both ,it is a good preventative measure....
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Suspended
Thanks for posting all, I like these suggestions.

I bought a new soft mattress & have taken to reading whilst lying on the bed, which is something that I haven't done for many years, and has proven effective at resting the troublesome area's. I'm also getting a better nights sleep, I wonder if that might be the cause; that I kept the old mattress for too long.

Actually the pain that caused me to write this post looks to be 'plantar fasciitis' which I had pointed out to my doctor once before, but the penny didn't seem to drop with her, that I had a separate issue, & so I never followed it through either.

I'm still working with my GP regarding the sciatica while I read up on dealing with this via more natural methods, so that gives me to contrasting angles to approach this from, & learn more about the treatments posted here & elsewhere.

It's interesting that everyone has something different to say.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsoul
My husband is a massage therapist also studying acupuncture, he does the most amazing release technique on sciatica ,we are in Aus thought Astro ,there must be others that know it ,briefly you lie on your stomach bend up your knee, pressure is put on the area with thumb or elbow in buttock ,sciatic nerve and the leg from the knee downwards is gently, slowly moved from side to side so in and out , not more then half dozen times ,always works ,hope you are getting some relief Astro ,Ive always just lied on the floor and brought knees to chest one at a time and then both ,it is a good preventative measure....

Thank you for this Deepsoul. I will try those moves.