Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Experiencer

what is enlightenment?

We've all heard of it.

Perhaps you think you've found it.

But what is it?

What's your opinion?
Old 20-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Ascender

Enlightenment is the ability to see things as they really are. Most people can do this to a certain extent but a buddha/Arahat can do this 100% even to the extent of being able to see metaphysical phenomena like past and future lives, understanding completely the working of karma and knowledge of other world systems like the heaven and hell realms, purelands etc.
Old 20-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Master
Enlightenment..... I believe we are already enlightened but the mind stops you realizing this. I would say it's peeling back the layers of illusion to reveal and awaken to what's been there all the time... true self....
Old 20-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Eelco

Ehm, Well I have a few idea's and the Buddha himself has said a few things about that in the sutta's.

The way I understand it. Enlightenment in the strickt tipitaka sense is where you realize that life has been lived to completion. That aware of whatever causes would give reason for another birth is no longer of interest to you. Renouncing those causes quenched the fires of craving and clinging. And so makes one an Arahant.

Some Arahant's through training in concentration have the powers Shaunc talks about, Many however do not.

WIth Love
Old 21-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Experiencer

Thanks for your responses!

Shaunc, that seems right on to me - to see things as they are. I recently had a revelation concerning that. I realized that I DON'T see things exactly as they are. It may be that we must first deeply realize that we don't see things as they are, in order to create the possibility of seeing what really is there. If believe we already see what's there, we won't be open to the healing and correction of our views and perceptions.

Sky, I agree. We must let go of illusions so as to allow truth to reveal itself, as you said, our true self. I think the idea of 'polishing the mirror' through meditation is about releasing illusions.

Catsquotl, I think we do need to complete the journey as you said, to arrive at the goal. For me, as for nearly everyone, completing the stage I'm currently on, and therefore making it to the 'next level', has been my goal. It seems there are many stages or levels on the path. And eventually, the entire path will be completed upon completion of the final stage.

Thanks again for your feedback everyone.
Old 21-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Experiencer

double post sorry
Old 21-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Deactivated Account
Enlightenment has nothing to do with any love and light fiddle-faddle but rather your behavior to other people, it's that simple. The most purest form of enlightenment is to give everyone a chance and treat other people the same way you wish to be treated yourself.
Old 21-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Badcopyinc

Finding out who you are is enlightenment.

Finding out who the "I" is.. When this is done you will be enlightened or as stated above come to know that you have always been enlightened.

Didn't Buddha describe enlightenment as the end of suffering?
Old 21-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopyinc
Finding out who you are is enlightenment.

Finding out who the "I" is.. When this is done you will be enlightened or as stated above come to know that you have always been enlightened.

Yes he did, you will find this teaching in the Sutta below...

' Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta:'
Old 21-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopyinc

Not necessarily.
If I understand correctly he said that what he taught was the end of suffering.
I.E
The 4 Noble truths.
suffering, it's cause, its cessation, the path to it's cessation is what the Buddha taught.

Not what it was to be enlightened.

WIth Love
Eelco