Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 28-07-2011, 09:05 PM
chakragal

ISKCON differences

Moving along on my spiritual path which is focusing on Hinduism, I know that there are sects within it, and from what I understand "four main ones". Naturally though ISKCON enters the path too. I have looked at a little bit about it, and am wondering if people consider it its own sect within Hinduism. I am also wondering-obviously Krishna would be the main deity. Do ISKCON adherents recognize any other deity and any of the demigods?
While I have hardly completed a full review of their beliefs, from what I have read, they seem pretty firm in certain aspects-while I am a vegetarian, I almost get the sense they are more along the lines of vegan. In wikipedia (again, the internet is not the end all be all of information being reliable), it outlines a few things, and the "monotheism" which leads me to think demigods needs not be bothered with. But some other kind of quite firm beliefs listed in Wikipedia seem as if it is not optional, whereas for example, I don't think all persons identifying themselves as "Hindu" necessarily practice vegetarianism. (the Indian restaraunts I go to certainly offer meat dishes for example). But ISKCON does certainly seem to not insist on one having to be "born" a Hindu etc, and I get the sense that this also does not go along with Hinduism itself, although I have read dissenting opinion on that from born Hindus. But I can confidently say that I do not believe ISKCON would be something that aligns up all the way for me, though I do find myself drawn to Krishna.

And please remember-while I ask, I am quite new to this, coming from a blatantly Western background.
At some point it will be worth my while to attend a Hindu temple. (there are two within 1/2 hour drive from me. There is also an ISKCON temple 20 minutes from my home too)

Discussion/feedback please. Thanks!
Old 28-07-2011, 11:37 PM
numerouno

Lord Krishna is the prime deity of iskcon, as He is the supremem person. Lord Vishnu is krishna, called plenary expansion in his four armed form. The avatars like Lord Rama, Lord Buddha etc are direct expansions of Lord Vishnu. These forms of Krishna, Vishnu, Rama are God. The ten avatars of Vishnu are god, while personalities like, Brahma, Indra, Vayu, Suraya etc are demigods and devotees of Vishnu.

Lord Krishna is sometimes understood to be the 8th incarnation of Lord Vishnu, in truth amongst the 10 incarnations, 9 are Vishnu while Krishna who is the source of Vishnu, it is said Krishna is only incarnation will all 16 rays of the godhead. These complicated and confusing facts are in the vedas and accepted truth reveals that the orginal form of God is the Krishna form. In his four armed form he is Vishnu.

First there was Krishna, then expanded himself in his form as the maintainer called vishnu. When religion is not practiced and irreligion increases Vishnu then incarnates eg. Lord Rama. Sometimes the Original form appears.
Old 29-07-2011, 03:50 AM
chakragal

Thank you numerouno, Do ISKCON followers ever pray to/worship the demigods?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM
numerouno

Krishna said surrender unto me and I will relieve form karma. While this is not an exact quote from the gita. You will find that they followed this principle of surrender, and abstaining for meat and eggs, illicit sex and 16 rounds of chanting. These devotees don't worship the demigods however at special times they give worship to shiva who is krishna's greatest devotee.

In saying that you must remember that worshipping demigods is not wrong also and one does not incur sin. Lord ganesha is , shiva's son , who i said is krishna greatest devotee. While worshiping lord ganesha remember is the servant of god (krishna) and the remover of obstacles this mood of worship is correct.

This way your worship of ganesha is higher because you now possess confidential knowledge.

Forgive my late reply....peace.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
chakragal

No problem at all, numerouno-I had forgotten myself! And I agree-Lord Ganesha is Shiva's son. I do pray to Him as most do, to help remove obstacles. I guess ISKCON grew out of Hinduism, but I'm not sure in my own mind, I can rectify for myself considering it a form of Hinduism, or a sect. Here in the States a lot people used to view them almost as a cult. Maybe many still do. I don't, but I don't know that I consider them Hindu either, just that they worship one main avatar of Vishnu. I don't know though that I'm correct in not considering them Hindu.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Master

Hi chakragal, I am a Hindu. Krishna, Ganesha and many others are devas and devis. You can see many more on my website where I have explained these terms. I think it is best not to confuse ourselves by using English terms to denote them as with such usage, we unconsciously project on them ideas that may not accurately apply to them.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 AM
chakragal

Thanks kris. I concur-there is no exact way to translate or describe in English the words. When you have a born & bred western mind, HA! Hard to wrap my head around it, though there have been plenty westerners that eventually manage. Immersed around Christianity I may have been, but while less complexities and philosophies are there-I'm no great explainer of that either, so in some ways, I figure, heck, with the right seeking, I may get the spiritual growth I look for.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Master
I would go with your gut feeling Chakragal, you said you found yourself drawn to krishna. So go along to the Iskon temple and see if their interpretation `feels` right for you, they will make you feel welcome. If you dont feel comfortable then explore other options.
The truth is you do not need to be in a religion at all to indulge in a relationship with krishna. For most though the structure of practices within a religion or sect like saying mantra, regular praying and meditations are particulalrly beneficial, as is the camaraderie and help from more advanced practitioners.
In the first place just start chatting and praying to krishna in your mind, offer up the good and bad things in your life to him, in essence start a discourse with him and see how you feel.

Hope this helps

jai sri krishna
Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 PM
chakragal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
I would go with your gut feeling Chakragal, you said you found yourself drawn to krishna. So go along to the Iskon temple and see if their interpretation `feels` right for you, they will make you feel welcome. If you dont feel comfortable then explore other options.
The truth is you do not need to be in a religion at all to indulge in a relationship with krishna. For most though the structure of practices within a religion or sect like saying mantra, regular praying and meditations are particulalrly beneficial, as is the camaraderie and help from more advanced practitioners.
In the first place just start chatting and praying to krishna in your mind, offer up the good and bad things in your life to him, in essence start a discourse with him and see how you feel.

Hope this helps

jai sri krishna

That does help. Thanks. I do chant to the Maha mantra, but also say a chant to Ganesha. I also really like this one Sita Ram chant that I have-it's on a whole album of Kirtan. I am drawn to Krishna and Ganesh. And I agree-I don't ever have to be considered "Hindu" or a "Hare Krishna" to have a relationship with Krishna. Shiva is Ganesh's father, so I could see myself also drawn to him, and sometimes I say the Om Namah Shivaya chant too. But for me- I know better than to try to force something. If I force it, it doesn't work-that's why Christianity didn't work. I like more Jesus the man standing up to things in his time, and if he knew then, what people would do later in his "name", and still continue to-condemning people, looking down on people with contempt, he'd have been appalled.
Back on point-I'd go to the ISKCON temple if a friend went with me-just to experience it, but I know ISKCON is not for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Krishna-prem

Hi Chakragal,

I spent a few years with Iskcon before I left (on good terms). There are some things to consider when looking at them as a possible organization to link up with. First is the ways in which Hinduism is divided. Theologically it's divided into the 4 main groups- Vaishnav, Shaiva, Shakti, and Smarta. Philosophically however, it gets more complicated. There are 6 Darshana or philosophical views. The most predominant of these darshanas is Vedanta. Vedanta is divided into a lot of sub categories including Advaita, Vishishtadvaita, dvaitadvaita, dvaita, and acintya bedhabedha.

All of these views are quite different from each other in terms of view of self, God, and the world. You will have to carefully consider which philosophy you believe. Iskcon is a part of the Gaudiya Vaishnav sampradaya and holds the view of acintya bedhabedha world view. If you are drawn to Krishna then this is a good philosophical view but it's not the only one that recognizes or worships Krishna.

Iskcon is great organization especially if you're just starting out and would like to be around a good mix of westerners and Indians at the temple. You will get a good taste of strict brahmincal tradition. This means kind of like a crash course in Vedic culture, rituals, food, festivals, etc.

As for the food thing, Iskcon followers are strict vegetarians- no meat, fish, or eggs but dairy is allowed. Dairy is actually an important part of the diet. Also onions and garlic are not used in Iskcon cooking. Caffeine should also be avoided but I know plenty of Iskcon folks who wont drink a coke on temple grounds but will when they go out. The other big one though is no alcohol. It's not expected that everyone follow these strict dietary habits right away and it's known that some people don't follow them at all except when they are at the temple.

In terms of theology- the devas are seen as servants of Lord Krishna and they are not worshiped during aarti or on holidays. Only the expansions of Krishna and his incarnations are ritually worshiped.

Hope this helped. Go out to the temple on a Sunday for aarti and prasad and see if it's right for you. If it fits your sensibilities then wonderful. If it doesn't then there are many other paths available to you.

Aum Hari Aum!