Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM
zeke zenna & mook

Talking Does it have to be complicated?

I'm interested in Buddhism, i have read lots on line i have bought books, i have my fair trade buddha statue to pray to, my fair trade mala beads are on the way, i like the buddhist philosophy as it seems a 'peaceful' way of life compared to going to church where you are preached at and told what/how to think.

However i have noticed there are many different forms of Buddhism i don't know which appeals. I have read many posts on here but to be honest i find them totally confusing and difficult to understand, almost riddle like.

I thought i may just find a prayer i like to pray infront of my statue and find a mantra for use with my mala beads and to live my life peacfully and respect everyone and everything.

so do you need to follow a specific type of buddhism or can you go it alone ?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Experiencer
It is best first of all to study the teachings of the Buddha - namely The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold path and then start finding ways of practising them.

You could try repeating some of these chants in English in front of your statue. There are some for different times of the day.

http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/docu..._Book_2006.pdf

Its best to find an offline Buddhist centre or meditation class if you can.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
zeke zenna & mook

Thanks, i have looked for classes but there are non near me
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Master
I like thich nhat hanh who is a buddhist monk from vietnam and he has written a very good poems and books.

There are many clips of him speaking on u-tube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8gEpW7DraI&feature=related
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
spirit72

I see no problem with you picking out things from you learning and then tailoring it to fit how you feel after all is it not how all religions have started at some point, and if it feels right to you, and your respectful of others opinions you will feel and find your way as you go along...
Old 17-04-2011, 07:46 PM
unus supra

The Dalai Lama has an audio book called the meaning of life, you might find it very useful, it gives some very insightful tid bits that may help you get your feet on solid ground if you wish to take a more singular approach to your practice.

take it easy

kavon
Old 18-04-2011, 01:41 AM
surrendertotheflow

Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke zenna & mook
Thanks, i have looked for classes but there are non near me

I feel your pain
Thich Nhat Han and Ram Dass showed me the light into Buddhism.
Ram Dass's "Be Here Now" and "Be Love Now" are wonderful books
Thich Nhat Han has many books, so far my favorites are "Peace is Every Step" and "Living Buddha, Living Christ"

My FAVORITE online website, however, is www.buddhanet.net
here, you can go to the ebooks link and download in pdf format any of the many ebooks they have. I learned a lot through this website.

hope this helps
Namaste
Old 18-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Master
I think that Buddhism is a wonderful way of life but just be careful of all the ritualistic jargon that has been added over time, I think that Gautama would be spinning in his grave today if he knew how it has all changed, just as Christianity with its dogma, we must also be careful of Buddhism also.
Old 18-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Experiencer
Hi ZZ &M,

Its essential to first find out the basics about what the Buddha actually taught.

I highly recommend you read this short explanation called "What is Buddhism" which also has an MP3 you can listen to as you read the transcript.

http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Tal...T-MAR03-TS.htm

There are also, as someone else mentioned, plenty of resources to read at the Buddhanet site:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/index.htm

with kind wishes,

Samana
Old 18-04-2011, 03:29 PM
HBuck72

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I think that Buddhism is a wonderful way of life but just be careful of all the ritualistic jargon that has been added over time, I think that Gautama would be spinning in his grave today if he knew how it has all changed, just as Christianity with its dogma, we must also be careful of Buddhism also.

Very well said.

The Buddha was primarily concerned with ending the suffering of all sentient beings. The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path form the crux of his teachigns. The dogma which has been built around his teachings, is what generally leads to confusion regarding the Buddhist path.

My advice would be to study the simple core teachigns, put them into practice, and only use what dogma you feel is helpful and absolutely necessary. Same thing goes for any religion.