Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Soulmates & Twin Flames

Old 31-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Experiencer
Thoughts on this?

So last night I was listening to some of the teenage girls I teach talk about love and relationships and one was talking about the whole "I love you, but I'm not in love with you anymore." cop out and another said "Love is a choice not a feeling so that's not possible." (Which yes listening to that and typing it doesn't make sense!If it is just a choice, then you could just choose to not love someone! lol.) Another girl was saying " If you loved someone once, then you will always love them, no matter what. I think you can hide your heart and try not to love but the more you deny it, it will come back and bite you in the butt later!"

This all got me to thinking and wondering what you all here would say to these things/beliefs, especially with the whole factor of twin flame/soul connections added in. What are your thoughts on love? Choice or feeling or both? Do we or can we fall out of love?

And go! lol.
Old 31-10-2012, 01:39 PM
darkness

Choice and feeling. I can choose to forget that I love someone. I can choose to remember that I love someone, and get all those feelings back. That's just my opinion and experience though. Of course, sometimes it's not a choice and just a feeling, falling in love.
Old 31-10-2012, 01:41 PM
SerpentQueen

Love is not a choice, but the act of loving often is.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
I think when we were young, teenagers especially, we were often times fooled by what love really was. Sometimes we were simply lusting after someone without really even knowing them...and called it love. I think as we grow and mature, we understand better what love really is and are able to give and receive it the way we should. And I've also come to believe that the more we love ourselves the better equipped we are to love others. So it makes sense to me that as we grow into adulthood, and hopefully mature and learn through experiences, that we make better choices on who to give that love to.
I can understand how the students could apply those beliefs to their lives at that age and even to some of their own experiences, but I also believe that they would have very different answers if you asked them again in 15 years.
As it applies to people in general, I do believe that you can fall out of love. I don't necessarily think it's a choice to love someone. A choice is deciding what to wear in the morning, in my opinion. If the circumstances line up right, you end up loving someone and that's all there is to it.

Now, in regards to twins. It's nothing like that. That's more like multiple choice with all four possible answers only having the name of your twin.
A.)twin's name B)twin's name C)twin's name D)All of the above
Old 31-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Enlightener

If you think that the feeling of love for another human being is what love actually is...you're mistaken.

The common perception of love is to fall in love. You fall, and this is what you do, you fall back into the dream state that you can't get out of.

If you truly want to know love, go deep within. Then look at a flower.

You are Love.

If you truly know love, you rise in love. You rise to the moment, you start relating, rather than trying to form relationships, then you start living!

Love is freedom. Love is Truth. Love is Joy. How much love do you really know?
Old 31-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Sparkle13

Now, in regards to twins. It's nothing like that. That's more like multiple choice with all four possible answers only having the name of your twin.

Element - Love this! How true. A choice or a decision is not needed; love is automatically presented and within you all along :)
Old 31-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle13

Element - Love this! How true. A choice or a decision is not needed; love is automatically presented and within you all along :)

Yep, the way I look at it, if our twin is essentially part of us as many believe...one soul split between male/female energies...then we love them as we would love ourselves. I guess you could choose not to love yourself, but why would you want to do that?
Old 31-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
I like that enlightener.
Old 31-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Master
Interesting .. Well I can say that I have been in love a few times, each so different. The guy I was most in love with, I saw not too long ago, we had dinner and hung out.. I am not still in love with him. My needs and desires changed and he doesn't fit them anymore.

I loved my husband, but was never really "in Love" with him. I still love him dearly and want the very best for him, but he does not fill my needs either.

Maybe I am high maintanence?

Whats even worse is, I have recently met someone over the internet.. and we've been chatting everyday now for a while and I swear I could fall in love with him, but then when I see his picture.. I'm not so sure. DOESN'T THAT SOUND SO SHALLOW!!!?? I know right!!! But there has to be some kind of attraction there right? Ughhhh .. Love sucks

I dont have the answer. I just love er'body and let noone love me.

But no way I do NOT think love is a choice at all. I think sacrifice is a choice. Love is a feeling. Is pain a choice? Pain is something we feel.
Sometimes we fall in love with people that we do not choose to!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 AM
sesheta

To sunflwrdanzr

I'll respond to this in parts....

"I love you, but I'm not in love with you anymore." cop out and another said "Love is a choice not a feeling so that's not possible." (Which yes listening to that and typing it doesn't make sense!If it is just a choice, then you could just choose to not love someone! lol.) Another girl was saying " If you loved someone once, then you will always love them, no matter what. I think you can hide your heart and try not to love but the more you deny it, it will come back and bite you in the butt later!"

Firstly, though:

To Element 5
I think when we were young, teenagers especially, we were often times fooled by what love really was. Sometimes we were simply lusting after someone without really even knowing them...and called it love. I think as we grow and mature, we understand better what love really is and are able to give and receive it the way we should. And I've also come to believe that the more we love ourselves the better equipped we are to love others. So it makes sense to me that as we grow into adulthood, and hopefully mature and learn through experiences, that we make better choices on who to give that love to.
I can understand how the students could apply those beliefs to their lives at that age and even to some of their own experiences, but I also believe that they would have very different answers if you asked them again in 15 years.

****Totally agree with this - love it ******

"I love you, but I'm not in love with you anymore" - I think this is a very legitimate sentiment, regardless of age. You can love someone (as a friend, family member, etc.) but it does not mean you are "in love with them" (in a romantic relationship context). And sometimes what you think started as being "in love" with someone...you can later realize in hindsight that you truly just "loved them" as a person, but NOT in a romantic way, after all..

"Love is a choice not a feeling so that's not possible." - This one I have to disagree with! Love is most certainly a feeling....and yes, you can choose to ignore/disregard that feeling, if necessary...but it doesn't mean the feeling goes away. I have family members that I haven't seen or communicated with in years....but I still love them. But that love is tucked away inside my heart, because I have no way of sharing it with them anymore...but it's still there!

" If you loved someone once, then you will always love them, no matter what. I think you can hide your heart and try not to love but the more you deny it, it will come back and bite you in the butt later!" - I agree with the first part of this statement absolutely (the part I underlined). The second part.....not so sure....