Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 18-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Master
Mummification

A taxi driver from Torquay volunteered to be the first person in over 3000 years to be mummified on his death from cancer in January. It was carried out by a noted Professor of Pathology in Sheffield according to ancient Egyptian methods. A research programme.
Any thoughts on that ?
Old 18-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Master
I can't think of any special comments ~ that's interesting.

Why don't you sign yourself up for that gig, Norsie? For science~*

Old 18-10-2011, 09:59 AM
mattie

Research Objective?

What was the objective of the research?
Old 18-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I can't think of any special comments ~ that's interesting.

Why don't you sign yourself up for that gig, Norsie? For science~*

I did. Ten years ago
Old 18-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
What was the objective of the research?

As far as I can see, the research is into the process of mummification itself.
Old 18-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Each to their own, its not for me i dont see the point once your spirit goes home
its not going to come back,

Namaste
Old 18-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
A taxi driver from Torquay volunteered to be the first person in over 3000 years to be mummified on his death from cancer in January. It was carried out by a noted Professor of Pathology in Sheffield according to ancient Egyptian methods. A research programme.
Any thoughts on that ?

AWESOME!!!

can you post the article please?
Old 18-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Master
Quote:
I did. Ten years ago

O_o I wondered why the interest/thread? Yes, it would be cool to read what you have on that story.

Old 18-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Master
"I did. Ten years ago " Joke !

Full story
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/2011/10/18/mummifying-alan-taxi-driver-alan-billis-from-torquay

MEET Alan Billis who is the first person in over 3,000 years to be mummified like Tutankhamun.
Advertisement >>
http://trinitymirror.grapeshot.co.uk/national/redirect.cgi?target=http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/ad/mirror.5293/news_mputwo_centre_300x250;sz=300x250;pos=centre;s ect=weird-world;psect=news;zone=news;templ=page;gs_cat=GS_CH ANNELS;tile=8;ord=790625908?

The 61-year-old taxi driver volunteered his body to the bizarre experiment before his death in January from lung cancer.
His corpse was put through a variety of special techniques used by the ancient Egyptians to mummify pharaohs.
Now, thanks to Alan, scientists have finally worked out how kings dating back to before 1,000BC were preserved.
His decision had the full support of his family – but they admit to being a bit nervous when they first saw his remains.
Speaking about the experiment, wife Jan joked: “I’m the only woman in the country with a mummy for a husband.
MEET Alan Billis who is the first person in over 3,000 years to be mummified like Tutankhamun.
Advertisement >>
http://trinitymirror.grapeshot.co.uk/national/redirect.cgi?target=http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/ad/mirror.5293/news_mputwo_centre_300x250;sz=300x250;pos=centre;s ect=weird-world;psect=news;zone=news;templ=page;gs_cat=GS_CH ANNELS;tile=8;ord=790625908?

The 61-year-old taxi driver volunteered his body to the bizarre experiment before his death in January from lung cancer.
His corpse was put through a variety of special techniques used by the ancient Egyptians to mummify pharaohs.
Now, thanks to Alan, scientists have finally worked out how kings dating back to before 1,000BC were preserved.
His decision had the full support of his family – but they admit to being a bit nervous when they first saw his remains.
Speaking about the experiment, wife Jan joked: “I’m the only woman in the country with a mummy for a husband.
“I went to see him after he had been mummified, but I didn’t want them to unwrap the cloth and let me see his face in case I couldn’t cope with it.
“It was funny as I expected his body to be all stiff and hard but it was actually quite soft, and the skin sort of bounced back when you pressed it. He used to say, ‘I won’t be Tutankhamun, I’ll be Tutanalan... the grandkids will be able to tell their friends their grandad’s a mummy’.”
A team of experts including renowned forensic pathologist Professor Peter Vanezis mummified Alan’s body at Sheffield’s Medico Legal Centre.
They first took out his organs, sterilised his corpse and re-packed it with small bags of linen to restore its appearance.
The body’s water was then removed and the skin protected with oil and beeswax.
Alan was then left in a special salt bath for over a month before being dried out in a chamber to replicate the high temperature and low humidity of Egypt.
Finally he was wrapped with linen bandages – in the same way as the pharaohs – to allow drying to continue.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/2011/10/18/mummifying-alan-taxi-driver-alan-billis-from-torquay-made-into-a-mummy-like-tutankhamun-after-volunteering-his-body-115875-23496068/#ixzz1b9AZgH3K
Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

Jan was bewildered when Alan, of Torquay, Devon, first volunteered for the experiment, which will be shown in a TV documentary.
She told the Radio Times: “He said, ‘I’ve just phoned someone up about being mummified’. I said, you’ve what? ‘Yes, I’ve phoned up someone about being mummified’.
"And I thought here we go again. It’s just the sort of thing you’d expect him to do. He said, ‘When I’m dead, I’m dead, it doesn’t make any difference what they do to me. Besides, what they find out might do someone else some good’.
“He always enjoyed being the centre of attention, and the involvement in the TV programme took his mind off his illness.
“If he could come back now and see himself, he’d be in his glory. He always said if he ended up in a glass case in a museum, he wanted to be fitted with an electric arm so he could always wave at me.”
His body will stay at Medico Legal Centre where it will be studied.
* Mummifying Alan: Egypt’s Last Secret will be shown on Channel 4 on Monday at 9pm.

Old 18-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Master
Quote:
"I did. Ten years ago " Joke !

Full story
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-w...s-from-torquay

Awwww~here I thought you were an incredibly brave man (*shrug* still could be ~ but only if you give those woods spooks some monkeys blood ice cream and live to tell about it!)