Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 10-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Master

My Genes Made Me Do It!

At the place I had my genetic testing done, I have volunteered to help in research by answering a series of questions on occasion.

This last round had a few questions that, later, got me to thinking.

The questions were:

How easily do you lose your temper?

How impatient are you?

Our genes determine that? So I just did a cursory search online. Come to find out 20% of us have the (or is it an "a"?) alpha-2B adrenergic receptor that affects our sensitivity and emotions.

So yes, if I have this gene I can get mad quicker.

Of course environment, family background and life experiences also affect how we respond.

Lets say I grew up in a very calm, nurturing environment but I have this alpha-2B receptor. Then I would react to a stimulus way lower than a child with the same receptor who grew up in an abusive, lets say for example, alcoholic home.

So just how much can we blame on our genes?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:26 AM
Knower

Deb,
This is an issue that I've dwelled on for
a long time.

The same logic can apply to:

Astrology: how certain signs, planetary
positions, and aspects affect behavior.

Really, any factor, that we believe is
" beyond our control ".

As this has credence, with deep
awareness, any human being
ultimately has power over the
decisions they make in their life.

There are so many in this world that
have predispositions to everything:
mental illnesses, emotional instability,
cognitive deficits, addictions, dysfunction
& despair of all measures.

Yet, they seem to be some of the most
balanced, functional, and capable
human beings that grace the planet.

How is that? You can take two
individuals that have the exact same
genetic dispositions, natal charts,
environmental exposure, etc. & have
two completely different outcomes.

Ultimately, the human being can either
overcome or succumb to their conditions.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Badcopyinc

I would venture to say that I view genes as I do astorilogy.

It's kind of like driving around with a bunch of friends. Brain, planetary influence, family/friends influence, and genes. Almost all like back seat drivers. They want to drive but can only make a lot of suggestions. It's still up to you true self on which way you're steering the vehicle.

It's all up to the driver how the relationship is. Some people are always arguing almost as if there's too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Some are having a blast and efficiently co-piloting without much thought.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

I believe each of us is an immaterial soul that temporarily inhabits a material vehicle, the body with its genetic heritage. A less evolved soul has more difficulties in mastering its body.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color Chemistry > Beliefs > Chemistry > Looping Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
So just how much can we blame on our genes?

Genes{ codon chains ooo } that change{ chemistry } or react/respond to the environment{ feelings emotions ((())) } but also sugars, ionizing radiation, toxic chemicals etc ergo more and more complex set of chemistry scenarios, that, occur along with aging of the genes/codons.

So environment ((())) surrounds and acts upon genes/codons ooo.

I.e. (((ooo))).

But when more complex scenarios playout over time ex (o(o(o)o)o) the genes are affected and respond? Yes? No?

Bruce Liopton is one of the leaders of the Biology of Belief affecting our genes/codons.

Personally, I see beliefs stemming from genes/codon response to their environment being affected by EMRadiation charge and unobserved ultra-micro scales of gravity and dark energy.

It is all-- chemisty > beliefs > chemistry ---- cause and effect interrelationships.

Just as Earths chemistry is complex set of interrelationships, that, are affected by incoming extra-terristal impacts and the semi-vacumm of outer space.

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
I believe each of us is an immaterial soul that temporarily inhabits a material vehicle, the body with its genetic heritage. A less evolved soul has more difficulties in mastering its body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberatedlotus
Ultimately, the human being can either
overcome or succumb to their conditions.

I agree with the other posters. No one got to use this excuse in the past and nowadays it's being overused. We've all got struggles and it's what this human experience is all about. Some folks have immense burdens and it's very helpful for them and for us to understand their struggles more deeply. We could all stand to become much more aware of the weight of many of these burdens, and the assistance they may need day-to-day. Some of us may need additional aids or support that go beyond the physical and address the social and the individual aspects of our reality -- I'm thinking personality disorders, mental illnesses or challenges, and what I call the rampant spiritual and emotional illnesses and challenges of our day, which are bred and fed by a utilitarian, narcissitic mainstream culture.

But those who are challenged still need to strive to overcome their momentary urges and their violent or anti-social tendencies...to the best of their ability and in whatever ways they can do so. We all do. It's all down to choice...with the biggest choice involving our decision to commit to ourselves and to the struggle, versus taking the easy way out. It's the road less travelled by, versus taking the low road.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Master

Liberated and Badcopy, I do understand the astrology aspect. Gravitational pulls, timing of birth, and such. But in my opinion (speaking for myself) I don't think I can throw all the astrology and gene pool into the same boat though. It's a tad different when a planet or set of planets come into alignment. Quite another when your dad is beating you and your mother senseless every night after getting drunk (a made up scenario, not my upbringing) and actually having the genes to repeat what you were taught.

I just couldn't stand and judge another when I don't know anything other than what I see and hear. What was the chemistry that caused that person to do bad things?

baro-san, I agree. I think a less evolved soul must experience those dark times and has less self control because they have never gone there before. Older souls have unconscious memory of having done bad things and can instinctively use more self control so as not to repeat past behavior.

r6, I basically see your point. It all acts and reacts. I like that it can be seen as a complex set of interrelationships that affect us in ways way beyond our understanding. That makes sense.

The reason I started this thread is because, basically I grew up Christian which I ditched when I was in my early 30's. But I was left with all these rules. Which I broke on an almost daily basis. The guilt, the shame. I lived with it for years.

Till one day I threw it out the window and decided to do what I felt like doing. I have one rule. This is my rule not anyone elses.Do no harm to others. Other than that, I do and say pretty much whatever I feel like doing and saying. And I don't have that guilt or shame riding on my shoulders anymore.

And understanding that our genes, our actual chemical makeup plays a part only reinforces me to continue as I am doing.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
The reason I started this thread is because, basically I grew up Christian which I ditched when I was in my early 30's. But I was left with all these rules. Which I broke on an almost daily basis. The guilt, the shame. I lived with it for years.

Till one day I threw it out the window and decided to do what I felt like doing. I have one rule. This is my rule not anyone elses.Do no harm to others. Other than that, I do and say pretty much whatever I feel like doing and saying. And I don't have that guilt or shame riding on my shoulders anymore.

And understanding that our genes, our actual chemical makeup plays a part only reinforces me to continue as I am doing.
Some considerations:

Genetic baggage may be an explanation, but it isn't an excuse.

"Do no harm to others" isn't always possible. Take the case when you see somebody harming another. Not intervening means doing harm. To intervene you might have to do harm.

Karma traces are created by our thoughts, desires, and actions, both when "awake", and when "asleep". Meaning also that good intentions can still result in negative karmic traces.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 AM
Ascender
Quote:

So here's what our genes do. They are anchors that connect us to our physical experience.

Genes help to shape our bodily form, help to brace-us for, and react to, the problems that come with bacterial and bodily threats..

they provide for the propensities that are particular to our species (our use of language, our ability to move the way that we do.. and our sexual desire; in order to facilitate replication and to frankly have fun.. :)

Genes are specific "outlines", that are packaged for each individual species, in regards to their unique physical expression.

What makes us-humans so different is the size of our frontal lobe. We can "imagine" in such ways that we can easily be confused as to what's natural and whats been imaginably derived. For millions of years we humans were engaged as fairly small groups within a survival-based paradigm. There was very little difference between our experience and our surroundings. Anymore we're awash within imaginary-assertions. We are overriding our physical experience with our imaginary expectations.

We are animals who dream while we're awake. And thus we loose sight of our evolved human experience. We "think" that while "thinking" that we're accomplishing something special. That if we "create" a god, via language and imagery, then in response that version of god will exist. And that if we "create" a set of specific morals that we can then somehow delete our natural inclinations.

In comparison to nature, 'religions' and belief systems are inherently insane. They remove us from the complexity of what it is to be naturally present. They project belief structures that don't actually exist, and would have us devote our lives to this imaginably created menu.

Our frontal lobes are great for helping us to navigate our natural setting, but it truly stinks when it comes to doing much more.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Master

baro-san, I am here just doing, living, experiencing, surviving and learning. I was puzzled for a very long time just how karma worked. Now I don't give a hoot about karma. I put it in the same category as "sin". Because it keeps many from just experiencing the human aspect of why we are here.

organic, I don't take this lifetime seriously. It's just another "drop in the bucket" of my many incarnations.

I don't analyze and dissect every action I take. I understand the makeup of this planet. I understand why people do what they do. I understand why I do what I do. It grieves me to see people hurt, but I understand why they have to hurt.

I agree with so much of what you have said. We, as a global society have set up a fictitious set of boundaries that are keeping us from experiencing what we came here to learn.

On the other hand, there are those (young souls) who came here to live in that set of boundaries. Who are just here to enjoy or need living the human experience. They are the majority who populate this planet in the human body.

Thus we have souls from all walks of life, all ages (of the soul) together. So those of us who are a tad more advanced are frustrated with the illusion we are forced to live in.

Back to my subject, I think it is unhealthy, for me anyway, to judge another person based on the color of their skin, the neighborhood they grew up in and the parents who begat them, the deeds they did or the lifestyle they choose to live. I see the genetic makeup as a navigation instrument that helps them choose how they live and react to the life around them. And lets not forget, like attracts like. That plays into it as well. If one is of a lower vibration they attract the same to themselves. Think of a magnet to metal. It's a well oiled machine we live in.

I truly believe in previous incarnations I analyzed things to much. In this one I've learned or am experiencing living my life by my gut instincts.

Lol, bunch of random thoughts, sorry for the chaos, but it's hard for me to put down into words.