Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 25-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Master
Another one bites the dust!!!

Another one bites the dust!!! .......AKA....The Fall Of the vegan YouTube Stars!!!!

Last Sunday a very popular and successful vegan YouTube star was brought down by....(GASP) The public exposure that she was consuming animal protein (fish).

Why??? Because she had developed serious health problems associated with being a vegan!

And I quote. "she had only been eating fish for two months, as a remedy to the health complications she developed after six years as a vegan."

Or how about former vegan YouTuber Bonnie Rebecca who posted long videos to her fans about why she had to start consuming animal proteins again because of digestive issues associated with a pure vegan diet???

So any thoughts on when people will finally give up on this silly, provably unhealthy and dangerous fad diet????

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vegan-...e-change-diets

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 25-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Master

How much should we believe of what we read and see on the internet? Not much.

Schools should teach common sense! But who's to teach that?
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Master
Yea I follow diet trends on you tube, vegans included, but I also come from a physical performance standpoint, and the highest performers eat based on the scientific literature. Some athletes adopt vegan eating for the typical ethical reasons. They remain high performers, but they track protein, fat and carbs as athletes tend to do, and depending on their sport, take the optimum ratios.

The u-tubers are in competition to the extremes, so all raw and fruit only (or mostly) often very low protein and fat (which is very high carbs), and then they have to eat a huge volume of food to get their daily calories, so of course they have digestive issues as the digestive tract works overtime to process the sheer quantity of it.

I'm convinced that people can have healthy vegan lives, but nutritional principles don't change. 1. you need enough calories 2. You need ample protein, you need fat, and carbs make up the caloric shortfall 3. You need vitamins and minerals (micronutrients). 4. Meal timimg distributes nutrients through out the day. 5. Vegans need B12 supplements and most people could use supplements to make up any shortfalls in the whole food diet.

If you are herbivous or omnivorous then you use different foods to make up your nutrients, but the body simply needs enough calories with a complete nutient profile according to your lifestyle. The rest is nonsense.

Last edited by Gem : 26-03-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 26-03-2019, 03:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm convinced that people can have healthy vegan lives, but nutritional principles don't change. 1. you need enough calories 2. You need ample protein, you need fat, and carbs make up the caloric shortfall 3. You need vitamins and minerals (micro-nutrients). 4. Meal timing distributes nutrients through out the day. 5. Vegans need B12 supplements and most people could use supplements to make up any shortfalls in the whole food diet.

I mostly agree with what is said here. In regards to B12 I like to point out my own views and experiences. And they are my own views in the same way that I would not tell anyone what to do or to eat.

I am past 71, play tennis comp, and walk. 2-3 times a week 10km, and I average around 7km/h, on my last walk I got to 7.3km/h.
I never worried about B12, still don't, but I became curious after a discussion on this forum a little wile ago, what my B12 level is. I asked my HS which is my guide at this point. It told me, my level is adequate. Which to me mean, it is not ideal but just enough. So I tried to find out how I can raise my B12 level without using supplements.

The only supplements I use is C60 and Turmeric.
Dry fungi somewhat

fresh mushrooms from the store almost nothing
fresh vegetable from my own garden little

dry yeast flake great source

Now I use more dry yeast flakes, and dry fungi I use all the time anyway. Great food source, at least for me. My digestive system loves them.
Over the time my B12 went from adequate to mid-level, according to my HS.
When I read articles on this subject, I get the feeling, everyone has to tow the official line, which says, vegans have to supplement, without risking professional execution.
Old 26-03-2019, 04:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah nam
I mostly agree with what is said here. In regards to B12 I like to point out my own views and experiences. And they are my own views in the same way that I would not tell anyone what to do or to eat.

I am past 71, play tennis comp, and walk. 2-3 times a week 10km, and I average around 7km/h, on my last walk I got to 7.3km/h.
I never worried about B12, still don't, but I became curious after a discussion on this forum a little wile ago, what my B12 level is. I asked my HS which is my guide at this point. It told me, my level is adequate. Which to me mean, it is not ideal but just enough. So I tried to find out how I can raise my B12 level without using supplements.

The only supplements I use is C60 and Turmeric.
Dry fungi somewhat

fresh mushrooms from the store almost nothing
fresh vegetable from my own garden little

dry yeast flake great source

Now I use more dry yeast flakes, and dry fungi I use all the time anyway. Great food source, at least for me. My digestive system loves them.
Over the time my B12 went from adequate to mid-level, according to my HS.
When I read articles on this subject, I get the feeling, everyone has to tow the official line, which says, vegans have to supplement, without risking professional execution.
I think you might be getting b12 from fortified foods, and I think nutritional yeast is usually fortified with b12. Possibly you get some from dirt if you play around in the garden a bit, and having an all round quota of vitimins and minerals is also necessary for its utilisation. Vegans often have above average micronutrition, so are well primed for B12 uptake. Many omnivores are deficient in b12 because their overall micro nutrition is poor.

B12 is an important and essential nutrient, so I could only suggest supplementation/fortified food when it comes to vegan diets.

I'm not anti-vegan by any means, and although some vegans run into serious nutrition problems because they are radicals who have little to no nutritional knowledge and impose too many restrictions on what they eat, have obsessions with 'cleanses' and 'detoxs' etc. and about 'toxins' and 'acidity'... and have other disfunctional relationships with food... many with a history of eating disorders... We also know many omnivorous eaters are unhealthy due to their diet, and become undernourished is similar ways.

In my field, muscle and strength fitness, there is a lot of disordered eating, physique obsession, hyper controlling relationships with food, and this in the core of the so called 'fitness' industry - let alone the bogus supplements, steroids, fatburners and all that nonsense. It's just that we don't focus in on any omnivore with nutritional deficiencies and make a fuss like 'omnivores are such and such' - Vegans are an easy target because they fall into an 'abnormal' social category. Still, there are many vegans performing at elite levels of athleticism, including strength sports and physique competitions. It's just that they eat 'scientifically' and get the nutrients they need to optimise their performance according to their respective sports. Venus Williams for one.

It's not like going Vegan made Venus a better athlete, it's just she gets the optimum nutrient profile from plant foods.
Old 26-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

I'm convinced that people can have healthy vegan lives, but nutritional principles don't change. 1. you need enough calories 2. You need ample protein, you need fat, and carbs make up the caloric shortfall 3. You need vitamins and minerals (micronutrients). 4. Meal timimg distributes nutrients through out the day. 5. Vegans need B12 supplements and most people could use supplements to make up any shortfalls in the whole food diet.

If you are herbivous or omnivorous then you use different foods to make up your nutrients, but the body simply needs enough calories with a complete nutient profile according to your lifestyle. The rest is nonsense.

I'd agree with all this......if you live in a modern country with access to everything you need food and or supplement wise....and you are lucky enough to have a metabolism that can handle it...most people don't.....a vegan diet can absolutely work.

In most places around the world though....you'd simply become slowly malnourished on a vegan diet and get sick.

I'm reminded of a something I saw published by Michael Houston PHD, Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Health Science center concerning veganism where he wrote "Perhaps 10 to 15 percent of the world wide human population have a metabolism that can be successful being completely free of animal products in there diet"

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 26-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Master
I am sure there are more people malnourished on "McDonald" diet then malnourished Vegans.
Looking around my Health Food Store, I would say, Vegans in general know more about the foods they eat, eat consciously rather then stuffing their face.

In regards to B12, no I don't eat fortified foods, and one could consider all Hemp products, Hemp oil, Hemp protein, Hemp seeds.
Old 27-03-2019, 03:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
I'd agree with all this......if you live in a modern country with access to everything you need food and or supplement wise....and you are lucky enough to have a metabolism that can handle it...most people don't.....a vegan diet can absolutely work.

In most places around the world though....you'd simply become slowly malnourished on a vegan diet and get sick.

That's true. Veganism is only possible in wealthy, developed societies, and not in impoverished or undeveloped societies. The Jains are perhaps the most ethical eaters on Earth, but rely on milk products for some of their essential nutrients. It brings into to question veganism as the 'natural diet', but actually there is no 'natural human diet'. Before there was global refrigerated transport systems and labs manufacturing supplements, humans survived by consumimg both plant and animal produce, which was the only practical way to get all the essential nutrients. Now we live in modernity and have dietary supplements, fortified foods etc, so veganism becomes an option.

Quote:
I'm reminded of a something I saw published by Michael Houston PHD, Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Health Science center concerning veganism where he wrote "Perhaps 10 to 15 percent of the world wide human population have a metabolism that can be successful being completely free of animal products in there diet"
Old 27-03-2019, 04:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah nam
I am sure there are more people malnourished on "McDonald" diet then malnourished Vegans.
Looking around my Health Food Store, I would say, Vegans in general know more about the foods they eat, eat consciously rather then stuffing their face.

In regards to B12, no I don't eat fortified foods, and one could consider all Hemp products, Hemp oil, Hemp protein, Hemp seeds.
Hemp products don't contain B12 (or maybe only trace amounts if that), but are often or at least sometimes fortified.

Yes, it's probably true that a higher percentage of omnivores are undernourished compared to vegans.

My experience with vegans, including myself when I believed vegan propaganda, is they think they think they know a lot about nutrition, but actually they don't. When I studied nutrition as part of my fitness industry qualifications, I realised what I thought I knew was a lot of hocum. Now I'm on the level by following the science, but that has nothing to do with specific diets. It only says you need so many calories from foods packed with nutrients. There are many ways of eating to get that, so I'm not here to say people should be herbivores or omnivores. I'm just saying eat appropriate calories and get them from a variety of nutrient dense food.
Old 27-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
So any thoughts on when people will finally give up on this silly, provably unhealthy and dangerous fad diet????

I don't see any purpose to this thread except that it gives you another reason to ridicule vegans. Coming to a Vegetarian & VEGAN forum to mention how it is a silly fad diet doesn't lead to a sensible discussion. Your title ''another one bites the dust!!!'' also indicates that this is all just amusing to you..

I don't know about this woman. Maybe she never really was a vegan but just enjoyed making and sharing vegan meals. Who cares..?
In any case.. N=2 is not much to go by if you're going to use a narrative of it being a ''provably (?) unhealthy fad diet''..

I am not a vegan, nor do I want to be, but I can tell you are reaching way too hard dude..