Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Cult [kuhlt]

NOUN
a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
the object of such devotion.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

In light and view of these definitions, every religion and sacred tradition is a cult.

Well, 'cult' usually implies something insidious, typically a form of brainwashing, and I can only suggest don't follow anything. Everyone who follows is being mislead.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Well, 'cult' usually implies something insidious, typically a form of brainwashing, and I can only suggest don't follow anything. Everyone who follows is being mislead.
Yes Gem, but who is to be the judge of it? yourself? a few people? society at large?

Usually those who label something as a 'cult' have their own reasons and agendas for doing so, or it is simply viewed as being something outside the 'standardised norm'.

In regards, society at large is being 'brainwashed' by the media, business conglomerates and all with their vested interests in the name of capital gain, notoriety and social support, but many are happy being 'brainwashed' or else, they know no different due to their own cultural conditioning process.

It is also a very subjective issue. I follow the path of Hinduism, as you know...maybe I am being 'brainwashed' and 'mislead'...but that is Gem saying it, not Shivani saying it...and Gem may think Shivani is being 'brainwashed' and 'misled' and all Shivani can do is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNxeovdN5U
Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Yes Gem, but who is to be the judge of it? yourself? a few people? society at large?

Usually those who label something as a 'cult' have their own reasons and agendas for doing so, or it is simply viewed as being something outside the 'standardised norm'.

In regards, society at large is being 'brainwashed' by the media, business conglomerates and all with their vested interests in the name of capital gain, notoriety and social support, but many are happy being 'brainwashed' or else, they know no different due to their own cultural conditioning process.

It is also a very subjective issue. I follow the path of Hinduism, as you know...maybe I am being 'brainwashed' and 'mislead'...but that is Gem saying it, not Shivani saying it...and Gem may think Shivani is being 'brainwashed' and 'misled' and all Shivani can do is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNxeovdN5U

Well I merely suggest not following anything, and I don't advocate any religions, not even Buddhism, but at least in the school I know of, they tell us not to follow anything, not to believe anything, and only accept things according to our own insight.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Well I merely suggest not following anything, and I don't advocate any religions, not even Buddhism, but at least in the school I know of, they tell us not to follow anything, not to believe anything, and only accept things according to your our insight.
If you accept things according to your own insight, then you are following your insight, isn't it?

About Nyaya philosophy - not much to say about it. Wanted to launch into a whole treatise, but it's not worth it because it can be summarised in a few short sentences.

Nyaya means 'rule' or 'law' as there are 'right ways' of living which roughly corresponds to the Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism.

It is a very heavily Karmic-based philosophy, which basically says, as per Buddhism, you're either suffering or in Para Nirvana (Moksha) and then outlines ways to stop suffering so you can obtain Moksha.

I'll just be lazy and drop a Wikilink:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyaya

The only real difference between Nyaya and Buddhism is that while both are Atheistic traditions, Nyaya believes in a soul/atman whilst Buddhism believes in anatta or 'no soul' apart from that, they are basically identical in almost every way, shape and form.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
at least in the school I know of, they tell us not to follow anything, not to believe anything, and only accept things according to our own insight.
Philosoraptor just emerged from the cupboard.

If you belong to a school which tells you not to follow anything and so you don't follow anything, aren't you just following them by not following anything?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Philosoraptor just emerged from the cupboard.

If you belong to a school which tells you not to follow anything and so you don't follow anything, aren't you just following them by not following anything?

The school teaches that in an attempt to prevent any blind faith. Otherwise we'd become petty and obedient in following the rote of Dhamma discourses.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The school teaches that in an attempt to prevent any blind faith. Otherwise we'd become petty and obedient in following the rote of Dhamma discourses.
*chases philosoraptor around...tries to put him back in his box*

So, blind faith as opposed to sighted faith then?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Master
Quote:
*chases philosoraptor around...tries to put him back in his box*

So, blind faith as opposed to sighted faith then?

Different to insight.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Different to insight.
Just as belief is different to experience.

I agree though, I have no faith because it is not necessary. I have no belief because that too, is not necessary.

Seeing as how we are in the Advaita forum...it is only the mind and heart which identifies as a Hindu, for all intents and purposes of relative and mutual understanding of the concepts I present...and now, in true Shivani (which ain't me either) style:

मनोबुद्ध्यहङ्कार चित्तानि नाहं
न च श्रोत्रजिह्वे न च घ्राणनेत्रे ।
न च व्योम भूमिर्न तेजो न वायुः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥१॥

Mano-Buddhy-Ahangkaara Cittaani Naaham
Na Ca Shrotra-Jihve Na Ca Ghraanna-Netre |
Na Ca Vyoma Bhuumir-Na Tejo Na Vaayuh
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||1||

Meaning:
1.1: Neither am I the Mind, nor the Intelligence or Ego,
1.2: Neither am I the organs of Hearing (Ears), nor that of Tasting (Tongue), Smelling (Nose) or Seeing (Eyes),
1.3: Neither am I the Sky, nor the Earth, Neither the Fire nor the Air,
1.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,
The Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness.

न च प्राणसंज्ञो न वै पञ्चवायुः
न वा सप्तधातुः न वा पञ्चकोशः ।
न वाक्पाणिपादं न चोपस्थपायु
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥२॥

Na Ca Praanna-Samjnyo Na Vai Pan.ca-Vaayuh
Na Vaa Sapta-Dhaatuh Na Vaa Pan.ca-Koshah |
Na Vaak-Paanni-Paadam Na Copastha-Paayu
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||2||

Meaning:
2.1: Neither am I the Vital Breath, nor the Five Vital Airs,
2.2: Neither am I the Seven Ingredients (of the Body), nor the Five Sheaths (of the Body),
2.3: Neither am I the organ of Speech, nor the organs for Holding ( Hand ), Movement ( Feet ) or Excretion,
2.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,

न मे द्वेषरागौ न मे लोभमोहौ
मदो नैव मे नैव मात्सर्यभावः ।
न धर्मो न चार्थो न कामो न मोक्षः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥३॥

Na Me Dvessa-Raagau Na Me Lobha-Mohau
Mado Naiva Me Naiva Maatsarya-Bhaavah |
Na Dharmo Na Ca-Artho Na Kaamo Na Mokssah
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||3||

Meaning:
3.1: Neither do I have Hatred, nor Attachment, Neither Greed nor Infatuation,
3.2: Neither do I have Pride, nor Feelings of Envy and Jealousy,
3.3 I am Not within the bounds of Dharma (Righteousness), Artha (Wealth), Kama (Desire) and Moksha (Liberation) (the four Purusarthas of life),
3.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,

न पुण्यं न पापं न सौख्यं न दुःखं
न मन्त्रो न तीर्थं न वेदा न यज्ञाः ।
अहं भोजनं नैव भोज्यं न भोक्ता
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥४॥

Na Punnyam Na Paapam Na Saukhyam Na Duhkham
Na Mantro Na Tiirtham Na Vedaa Na Yajnyaah |
Aham Bhojanam Naiva Bhojyam Na Bhoktaa
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||4||

Meaning:
4.1: Neither am I bound by Merits nor Sins, neither by Worldly Joys nor by Sorrows,
4.2: Neither am I bound by Sacred Hymns nor by Sacred Places, neither by Sacred Scriptures nor by Sacrifies,
4.3: I am Neither Enjoyment (Experience), nor an object to be Enjoyed (Experienced), nor the Enjoyer (Experiencer),
4.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,

न मृत्युर्न शङ्का न मे जातिभेदः
पिता नैव मे नैव माता न जन्मः ।
न बन्धुर्न मित्रं गुरुर्नैव शिष्यं
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥५॥

Na Mrtyur-Na Shangkaa Na Me Jaati-Bhedah
Pitaa Naiva Me Naiva Maataa Na Janmah |
Na Bandhurna Mitram Gurur-Na-Iva Shissyam
Cid-Aananda-Ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||5||

Meaning:
5.1: Neither am I bound by Death and its Fear, nor by the rules of Caste and its Distinctions,
5.2: Neither do I have Father and Mother, nor do I have Birth,
5.3: Neither do I have Relations nor Friends, neither Spiritual Teacher nor Disciple,
5.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,

अहं निर्विकल्पो निराकाररूपो
विभुत्वाच्च सर्वत्र सर्वेन्द्रियाणाम् ।
न चासङ्गतं नैव मुक्तिर्न मेयः
चिदानन्दरूपः शिवोऽहम् शिवोऽहम् ॥६॥

Aham Nirvikalpo Niraakaara-Ruupo
Vibhu-Tvaacca Sarvatra Sarve[a-I]ndriyaannaam |
Na Caa-Sanggatam Naiva Muktirna Meyah
Cid-aananda-ruupah Shivo[a-A]ham Shivo[a-A]ham ||6||

Meaning:
6.1: I am Without any Variation, and Without any Form,
6.2: I am Present Everywhere as the underlying Substratum of everything, and behind all Sense Organs,
6.3: Neither do I get Attached to anything, nor get Freed from anything,
6.4: I am the Ever Pure Blissful Consciousness; I am Shiva, I am Shiva,

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात्पुर्णमुदच्यते
पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ॥
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om Puurnnam-Adah Puurnnam-Idam Puurnnaat-Purnnam-Udacyate
Puurnnasya Puurnnam-Aadaaya Puurnnam-Eva-Avashissyate ||
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Meaning:
1: Om, That (Outer World) is Purna (Full with Divine Consciousness); This (Inner World) is also Purna (Full with Divine Consciousness); From Purna comes Purna (From the Fullness of Divine Consciousness the World is manifested) ,
2: Taking Purna from Purna, Purna Indeed Remains (Because Divine Consciousness is Non-Dual and Infinite).
3: Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

That is the whole essence of Advaita Vedanta.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Master
Tantra Yoga and the Samkya Philosophy

Before we jump into the next school of orthodox Hinduism, Mimamsa we shall take a little side-step detour into a concept of Hindu esoterica (and because I'm being totally SELF indulgent now). lol

I mentioned before, how I follow the path of Bhakti Yoga, worshiping Lord Shiva in full-on Qualified Monistic expression...in both Saguna (Puranic) and Nirguna (Brahman/SadaShiva) manifestation.

I also mentioned previously about Prakriti (Shakti) and Purusha (Shiva) as being two aspects of the one Reality inclusive of the other (Ardhanarishwara) and yet existing separately on the material plane and also on the cognitive level of awareness.

This is how it is in the macrocosm...in the universal function of form and matter as our perception dictates that it becomes displayed to us until subjectively experienced.

When the whole concept is brought into the microcosm and internalised through pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses) and dhyana (meditation), Prakriti or Shakti being the will of Purusha/Shiva becomes manifest as a store of potential energy, located at the base of the spine. This has been given the term Kundalini - which you may or may not have heard of.

So, the Shakti/Prakriti is Kundalini, representing will or potential impetus and resides in the lowermost Chakra known as Muladhara, whilst in dual space/time and in diametric juxtaposition, Shiva/Purusha resides in the uppermost Chakra known as Sahasrara (thousand-petalled lotus).

Shiva is the 'vessel' for the kundalini...the 'Holy Grail' to be filled with the nectar of existence and when the cycle is complete, Shiva and Shakti merge, become one and duality is totally transcended back into pure non-duality through this merging.

As a result of different practices of Yoga, meditation, pranayama (breathing exercises) and over the course of years (lifetimes in some cases), the internal energy...the kundalini, which is the will of Shiva awakens and begins the ascent upwards, through all the chakras, to unite with Shiva at the crown in an act of cosmic love-making explosion which brings about a state called Samadhi, a total absorption within Brahman or Non-Duality itself, creating endless bliss, joy, love...and then there's no differentiation...no subject/object...no experience or experiencer and all the words of Adi Shankaracharya start personally ringing true.

This is my own path.