Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 21-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro
I was looking forward to this because the trailers give it that 'classic trilogy feel' but the criticisms of it seem to be steering me away. Some of the reviews on IMDB point to it being like the Star Trek films by the same director, or that like the prequels it's made for the benefit of the toy franchise, which I can believe. Having read this thread I'm even more convinced that I should give it a miss.
To give the most accurate info. I can give, with out spoiling the ending, this movie is more like the last three movies of the 90.s. It is nothing like the 1st. three movies of the 70s. Although they do insert sound bites form the original movies to support a sagging story line and script. You will see some the normal droids and creatures from the original series. The movies is more like a video game, where they give you a "theme" and you do the rest by playing the game. I think this movie is the biggest marketing scam in modern marketing history.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Master
With due respect to those who didn't like it, I've spoken to several people online who thought it was great. Plus lots of movie critics liked it too. Movie critics are not easy to please.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 22-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
To give the most accurate info. I can give, with out spoiling the ending, this movie is more like the last three movies of the 90.s. It is nothing like the 1st. three movies of the 70s. Although they do insert sound bites form the original movies to support a sagging story line and script. You will see some the normal droids and creatures from the original series. The movies is more like a video game, where they give you a "theme" and you do the rest by playing the game. I think this movie is the biggest marketing scam in modern marketing history.

Thanks! I remember seeing Episode 1 & feeling the hype surrounding it, only to see it again later for the disappointing film that it was. It seems that the higher scoring reviews are by those that are feeling the hype (or they're written by, I forget the term for these types of reviews, but by people who are employed to rate a product highly after it's launch in order to generate sales) & those that are giving a more balanced view are giving it lower scores.
Old 22-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
I think this movie is the biggest marketing scam in modern marketing history.

I'd have to agree with that too. The original sequel trilogy was the 'Thrawn Trilogy,' novels which were written in the 80's or 90's. All the canon was wipe away though (by Disney I think).

I'd have loved to have seen Grand Admiral Thrawn on the big screen, & the planet of aliens that were unwittingly enslaved by Darth Vader, Noghri I think they were called. It's been a long time since I've read it but the story was something like that.
Old 22-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Deactivated Account
We're going this afternoon! :)
Old 22-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
With due respect to those who didn't like it, I've spoken to several people online who thought it was great. Plus lots of movie critics liked it too. Movie critics are not easy to please.

When it comes to movies, I only care if I like the movie. I saw the preview for the movie on the big screen before it came out. I watched the CBS 60min interview with the director, and took the risk and saw the movie. Hoping it would be like the original, as the preview and interview hinted at. Boy, where they totally wrong!

Thus you saw my opinion of it. Have you seen this movie? If so, give your opinion of it here. Critics and hype only has a 10% influence on me.
Old 22-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Master
No, I was just saying that some people really do like this movie. I wasn't saying it should sway your opinion.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 25-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Deactivated Account

Any more reviews? I am contemplating.

Someone I was speaking to last night told me it was one of the most awesome movies of the year LOL. This is from a movie junkie.
Old 25-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Any more reviews? I am contemplating.

Someone I was speaking to last night told me it was one of the most awesome movies of the year LOL. This is from a movie junkie.

This new Star Wars is not like the original. It has way to many battle and chase scenes, at the expense of a good story line. Out of the 120min. of the movie, only about 20min. has any dialog or plot development. You see about 65 sec of acting, then 6min of chase and battle scenes. To the point they started to get boring.The rest is mostly Video Game like battle sequences. The special effects are good and I recommend seeing it in 3D. I think most of the audience were disapointed, when leaving the theater.
Old 25-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Master

Just saw it yesterday afternoon. Big thumbs up except for a few plot items I strongly disagreed with. To mention them would be to reveal spoilers so I will not, except for one which was already revealed in the thread thus far. I would have liked to have seen a new different type of threat instead of rehashing the death star on steroids.

Yes it is dark but not overly so. It is supposed to be as it tells the story and sets the stage for the genesis of the new evil threatening the galaxy and introduces the new characters that will face it along with the old characters from the previous episodes.

I found it quite interesting how they developed a complexity and depth to the old cast that was missing from episodes 4-6. It is a nice and welcome contrast from episodes 4-6. I, for one, was hoping they would not emulate episodes 4 to 6 and happily they did not. Nothing wrong with those episodes mind you but I prefer a fresh new feel to a "stylistic carbon copy" of episodes 4-6 that others were hoping for and this movie succeeds in that regard. I am glad that they chose not to emulate episodes 4-6.

I did not find it at all similar to episodes 1-3 either. It is stylistically different from all previous episodes which is what I found refreshing.