Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 10-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Pathfinder

Books for mysticisim

Does anyone have any good recommendations for mysticism ?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Master

That is a too vague request ...
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 14-11-2018, 01:18 AM
Master
Hello BlossomingSoul - I just received a notice about this book being publihsed in my email inbox - haven't read it and so can't recommend it - but the blurb about it sounded like the book might be quite pithy - I looked it up - here's a link to a page that has info (including a table of contents and the first few chapters) about it - thought you might find it interesting:

https://books.google.com/books/about...page&q&f=false
Old 14-11-2018, 02:55 AM
Ascender
Are you referring to the Kabala?
Old 14-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Master

Here's a mainly incomplete list of what mysticism could be.

Transcendance, the paranormal, spiritual experience (whatever that might be), religious experience (Wtmb), other-worldly, supernatural, occult, metaphysical, esoteric, arcane, and so on.

My Encarta World English Dictionary defines mysticism as: The belief that personal communication or union with the divine is achieved through intuition, faith, ecstasy or insight rather than through rational thought.

So where do you want to start?
Old 14-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Pathfinder

Hi guys, sorry i wasn’t specific with my question. Honestly, i know i am drawn to mysticism but i have no idea where to start. So any good books for a starting point will be great. Thanks.
Old 14-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Pathfinder

What is the difference between esoterism and occultism?
Old 14-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritualll
What is the difference between esoterism and occultism?

There is some overlap between esotericism and occultism. Perhaps we can say that esotericism concerns understanding the theory while occultism relates to applying the theory in practice. But the difference is not clear-cut.

Traditionally esotericism is inner knowledge, revealed to the select few. The opposite is exotericism, or outer knowledge, known to the general public.

This may apply to religious philosophies such as Buddhism. Exoteric Buddhism is that which is understood and practised by ordinary people. Esoteric Buddhism would refer to knowledge and practices revealed to those deemed ready for such knowledge.

Occultism refers to that which is hidden, such as learning to work with the hidden laws of nature to manipulate energies for particular purposes.

The occultist works on the mental plane, using concentration and visualisation to generate thought-forms. These thought-forms then manifest on the astral plane where they are imbued with the magnetic vitality of the emotions before manifesting on the etheric planes. If the preceding work has been done properly and the timing is right then the thought-forms of the occultist manifest in the physical world.

Mysticism traditionally concerns the path of seeking union with the Divine, whatever form that might take. The mystical approach is often based on emotional yearning which is a reflection of spiritual aspiration.

Which brings us back to blossomingsoull97's question about books on mysticism. Which aspects of mysticism are you drawn to? Western mysticism (which is often based on Christianity)? Eastern mysticism? You may want to look into the Sufis - "The Way of the Sufis" by Idries Shah is a good place to start.

Peace.
Old 15-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Ascender
What exactly is your goal? Learn about paranormal, ghosts, astrology, ESP, psychics, remote viewing? Which first please? We have little to direct you to go on.
Old 16-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun on Nov.13th
Hello BlossomingSoul - I just received a notice about this book being published in my email inbox - haven't read it and so can't recommend it - but the blurb about it sounded like the book might be quite pithy - I looked it up - here's a link to a page that has info (including a table of contents and the first few chapters) about it - thought you might find it interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingsoull97 on Nov. 14th
Hi guys, sorry i wasn’t specific with my question. Honestly, i know i am drawn to mysticism but i have no idea where to start. So any good books for a starting point will be great. Thanks.
Since you didn't respond specifically to my post, BlossomingSoull97, I thought there was a possibility you may have not been enticed enough to click on the link I provided because I hadn't specifically quoted the blurb about the book which was in the above-reference email come on.

Here's a copy/paste of the blurb:
What is a mystic? Bruce Epperly defines mystics as people who see holiness in everyday life. We can be mystics without leaving our families, disengaging from daily responsibilities, becoming a priest, or joining a monastic order. Epperly shows how we can experience the living God in the midst of daily life and never again take everyday events for granted.

Bruce Epperly introduces readers to 12 individuals or groups of mystics through the ages: St. Francis of Assisi, the desert mothers and fathers, Benedict of Nursia, the Celtic mystics, Hildegard of Bingen, Mechthild of Magdeburg, Brother Lawrence, the Baal Shem Tov, Howard Thurman, Etty Hillesum, Rumi, and Julian of Norwich.

Each chapter describes each mystic’s life, spiritual experiences, and worldview and provides spiritual exercises to help us experience the mystic firsthand. Through his conversational, down-to-earth approach, Epperly inspires us to realize that we can encounter God wherever we are, whatever we are doing.
And here's the link, again:

Enjoy ...