Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 18-03-2016, 02:14 AM
Master
Do you believe in a Hindu Self, Christian Soul or Buddhist no self?

Buddha must have been brought up with Hindu beliefs, but he turned Hindu wisdom on it's head and stated there was no self, only a false self. I Believe there is an Atman Self/Higher Self/Soul, and I've been thinking about this versus the Buddha's no self, and wondering how does a belief in a Higher Self or No self affect other people's approaches to spirituality. There must be quite a difference, considering the two beliefs are polar opposites, I'd love to hear how this particular aspect of belief has affected you.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Master
They are both polar opposites and both exsists I feel and compliment each other if you allow them to flow..
Old 19-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Buddha must have been brought up with Hindu beliefs, but he turned Hindu wisdom on it's head and stated there was no self, only a false self. I Believe there is an Atman Self/Higher Self/Soul, and I've been thinking about this versus the Buddha's no self, and wondering how does a belief in a Higher Self or No self affect other people's approaches to spirituality. There must be quite a difference, considering the two beliefs are polar opposites, I'd love to hear how this particular aspect of belief has affected you.

django the Buddhas teaching on ' anatta ' is ' not-self rather than ' no-self '.
Old 19-03-2016, 07:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
django the Buddhas teaching on ' anatta ' is ' not-self rather than ' no-self '.

Thanks Sky, I'm not really into Buddhism, what does not self mean? They don't believe in a higher self do they? Am I right in thinking that Buddhists believe ego is a false self? There are some things I do like about Buddhism, but I felt it clashed with my notion of having a higher self.
Old 19-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Master
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a.../notself2.html

See if this link helps you
Yes ego is a false self, I think it's similar to the clouds obscuring the sun. Buddhist do not believe in a higher self..

QUOTE=django]Thanks Sky, I'm not really into Buddhism, what does not self mean? They don't believe in a higher self do they? Am I right in thinking that Buddhists believe ego is a false self? There are some things I do like about Buddhism, but I felt it clashed with my notion of having a higher self.[/quote]
Old 19-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Master
Quote:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a.../notself2.html

See if this link helps you
Yes ego is a false self, I think it's similar to the clouds obscuring the sun. Buddhist do not believe in a higher self..

Yes the link did help thanks sky I'm happy to think of it as not-self, and within Buddhist terms as not a question worth asking.

I am starting to see Buddha as a psychologist ahead of his time with a solution to a perceived problem, and to quite an extent I agree with his stated problem, but I don't agree with his solution, this is why I see this issue of Higher Self vs Not self as utterly important in terms of the solution, I feel it makes such a big difference.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Yes the link did help thanks sky I'm happy to think of it as not-self, and within Buddhist terms as not a question worth asking.

I am starting to see Buddha as a psychologist ahead of his time with a solution to a perceived problem, and to quite an extent I agree with his stated problem, but I don't agree with his solution, this is why I see this issue of Higher Self vs Not self as utterly important in terms of the solution, I feel it makes such a big difference.

In Buddhism you are encouraged to find your own path, Buddha himself said to use his teaching as a raft ( Raft Parable ). If you believe in a higher self then thats ok because that is your path

When you start studying the Buddhas teachings you do start to see him as a Psychologist.

If you are interested, Google ' Dalai Lama Mind and Life Institution' there are lots of Video discussions between Buddhist's/Dalai Lama and Scientist, very interesting.
Old 19-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Deactivated Account
The Hindu concept of the relationship between Atman & Brahman speaks to me and what I have discovered in my own life journey...
Old 20-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze
The Hindu concept of the relationship between Atman & Brahman speaks to me and what I have discovered in my own life journey...

The closest for me is Visistadvaita (or "qualified non-dualistic") Vedanta which claims that individual atmans are distinct from Brahman but utterly dependent on Brahman as their inner-controller. According to this school, Brahman is both "non-dual" and "qualified" by souls and matter. Yet, while the atman maintains its own will, it is ultimately dependent upon Brahman for its creation and preservation.
Old 20-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Master
Quote:
In Buddhism you are encouraged to find your own path, Buddha himself said to use his teaching as a raft ( Raft Parable ). If you believe in a higher self then thats ok because that is your path

When you start studying the Buddhas teachings you do start to see him as a Psychologist.

If you are interested, Google ' Dalai Lama Mind and Life Institution' there are lots of Video discussions between Buddhist's/Dalai Lama and Scientist, very interesting.

Sky, do you agree with this from http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Atman

"Unlike Hindus, Buddhists do not believe that within human beings and other life forms there is a permanent, indestructible and absolute entity called a soul or atman. Therefore, Buddhists reject the Hindu doctrine of atman, claiming that such ideas are fabricated by humans in order to deny their impermanence. Buddha taught that the idea of an eternal self is a misleading belief that is ultimately harmful, producing negative notions of "me" and "mine" and thereby providing the psychological basis for desire, attachment, and hatred. In short, Buddha described the self as the root of all evil, and characterized the attachments it creates as detractors from one's attainment of nirvana. This denial of the self at so thorough a philosophical and ontological extent marks Buddhism as unique among the other world religions."