Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Master

Deconstructing Ego

Mind understanding itself, its purpose and function, is invaluable in the spiritual search. If our whole character (Ego or what we believe ourselves to be like) is a mere facade constructed by mind for defense against conditioning (condemnation and punishment) then we deconstruct that ego at our peril for the dynamics of the conditioning may still be in place. Our asylums are full of people whose ego has collasped. Be wary of condemning all that mind does. We can leave it alone to do its invaluable work whilst at the same time seeking a resonance with solutions to end the spritual search. It is not an either/or situation.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
Mind understanding itself, its purpose and function, is invaluable in the spiritual search. If our whole character (Ego or what we believe ourselves to be like) is a mere facade constructed by mind for defense against conditioning (condemnation and punishment) then we deconstruct that ego at our peril for the dynamics of the conditioning may still be in place. Our asylums are full of people whose ego has collasped. Be wary of condemning all that mind does. We can leave it alone to do its invaluable work whilst at the same time seeking a resonance with solutions to end the spritual search. It is not an either/or situation.

Right, I think it's all about learning when to listen to ego, and when not to. For example, the ego keeps us socially acceptable. We need friends and family because they heal us, spiritually. If you completely ignore ego, you will start doing some very strange things that will push your friends away. You may become depressed because of this, and depression is a huge spiritual killer!

Balance is key. My personal goal is to learn how to shut down ego only during meditation.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit

Mind understanding itself is ego interpretation of more ego. At times, when we do this deep enough, some insight might come about, yet we continually miss the source we are resting upon which provided that transparent glimpse.

The net is much bigger than most can imagine.

Define mind.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Pathfinder
It is not about destroying or erasing the ego. It is about simply seeing the ego for what it is. Like a mirage...it is an appearance, but if you think it is what it appears to be instead of what it actually is...it causes us suffering.

Once you see through the ego (i.e. realize who/what you really are), then the ego continues on...but in a subservient role. The ego is no longer the boss and doesn't try to be. The ego has value in functioning in the world...for example, you need it to answer to your own name.

Also, the ego is largely conditioning and habit. See through the ego...and suffering pretty much ends, because the ego (fictitious "me") is the basis for most of our self created suffering - problems, anxiety, guilt, etc.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Master
E.G.O - Earth Guidance Only.

Everything has a place.
We can't think our way into awakening, nor can Spirit drive a car. Each to their own duties, while playing nicely in the sandbox as a team.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1wakesup
Mind understanding itself is ego interpretation of more ego. At times, when we do this deep enough, some insight might come about, yet we continually miss the source we are resting upon which provided that transparent glimpse.

The net is much bigger than most can imagine.

Define mind.

It is for the mind of each of us to reflect upon itself and ask what its function and purpose is, I have no idea what the answer to that question may be for somebody else. For me mind (about to describe itself) runs the whole show. Monitors body functioning and automatically receives distress calls from the organism and attempts to find and apply solutions to end that distress. The discomfort that flows from feeling disconnected from source is one particular distress that the mind attempts to address by conducting the spiritual search.

Do you feel that there is something else that does this for you?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSong
E.G.O - Earth Guidance Only.

Everything has a place.
We can't think our way into awakening, nor can Spirit drive a car. Each to their own duties, while playing nicely in the sandbox as a team.

Mind attempts to solve problems. It considers solutions that might end the spiritual search. If it finds one that it thinks might work for the particular character it serves, it resonates with it.

Whatever that resonance is, it feels very different to thinking. This is suggesting that mind not only has the capacity to think but also to resonate (vibrate) with possible solutions. We can be unaware that mind has this ability concerning the spiritual search yet accept it without question when it is finding our socks:)

Instead of realizing this we are told that mind is a problem to be overcome if the spiritual search is to be sucessful. Yet overcoming/disabling the mind would mean no solution to the spiritual search or anything else! Fortunately the mind is much too clever to be overcome by this conditioning. It fools the conditioning by appearing to be overcome, but to our eternal benefit, never is,

If it was disabled you would be insane or dead! Luckily for us it is very reluctant to resonate with a solution that would mean the end of itself! but will appear to do so if that is what the conditioning requires to provide a solution to the spiritual search. Thats how clever the mind can be in its devotion to helping you.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Master
Yesterday I was googling clear mind, and came across 'clear light mind'. Very briefly this is mind with no conditioning or disruptive emotions or karma left operating, it is what is left after all of this is stripped away.

I personally believe that mind has a large role to play in progressing along the spiritual path, while acknowledging that the mind I know now is not in the same state as the clear light mind that I work to extricate from ego and conditioning.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 AM
Suspended
Ascender

From the outset no ego can be found. Nothing to deconstruct. From the outset mind cannot be found either. Nothing to understand.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 AM
Master
Isn't mind responsible for our ability to walk talk read eat drive balance see hear and understand the world around us?

I perceive ego as the aspect of me that distorts reality because reality is too unbearable for me to acknowledge and accept as a child.