Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 27-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Master
This is the Sanctuary Knocker on the main door of Durham Cathedral. Fugitives could claim sanctuary by touching it. They were safe until the following dawn, they then had to reach the sea before sunset the following day [about 20 miles]. Hozzat for a gargoyle ? [ Been replaced several times in the last 900 years

Old 29-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Perceiver

Are there any physical distinctions between gargoyles and demons (fallen angels)? Both tend to be portrayed with bat-like or leathery wings, horns, and clawed-feet or hooves. So, far I only notice differences in their nature: Demons reside in hell and are tend to beportrayed as having a malicious nature while gargoyles being associated with stone carvings.
Old 30-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Ascender

I wonder, do people still follow that"law" that whoever is in a church claims sanctuary? In today's day and age I wouldn't be surprised if murders occured in a church.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Master
Lady, whenever I enter I touch the knocker as most people do. The cathedral is about 1000 years-old and was built over a pagan holy place, also a ley line. So, I feel quite happy being there in meditation and in tune with the ancestors.

View of the outside, castle and cathedral. My local as it were.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Master
I've always loved gargoyles. I thought they were protectors as well. Sometimes when I start to think badly of myself, I would say I have "gargoyle syndrome" simply because I felt ugly like some feel gargoyles are... I'd love to have the gargoyle figurines throughout my yard and gardens.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Raewynn

I love gargoyles. As a few people mentioned, they were originally added to churches, and they were made to look scary with the belief that it would drive away evil spirits. If you come across a gargoyle that strikes you as particularly menacing, maybe it is trying to protect something from you. Just a thought.

Also, I think gargoyles are perhaps more neutral than anything. I think they can be used to protect the good and the bad; it all depends on who's gargoyle it is. Perhaps if you come across a "diabolic" gargoyle, it isn't diabolic by nature but through external influences?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
I wonder, do people still follow that"law" that whoever is in a church claims sanctuary? In today's day and age I wouldn't be surprised if murders occured in a church.

Yes they do. It's not that they're allowed to commit crimes in a church but they can take sanctuary in them after. Not for things like murder but political and religious refugees do so in Canada more often than you'd think.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Pathfinder
I have a few on two of my bookshelves. I love them, they look perfect among my books, which are mostly urban fantasy. When I bought them, the girl at the register picked them up, looked them over in her hands and asked "why would anyone want these?" I said "why not?" It's like they are pets, and just because they look the way they do, doesn't make them evil. I'm sure as with everything there would be gargoyles of a light nature, and gargoyles of a darker nature, and maybe even those that fall somewhere in between.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Master
"Sanctuary" was generally for only a short fixed period [sunset to sunrise was common] with the proviso that the miscreant must flee the land during that time. Imagine trying to reach the sea, on foot, with the local Lord and his men-at-arms chasing on horseback. Chance of success ranging from slim to b... all
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM
unruhig

I love Gargoyles they have a lot of character at least in my opinion

And Norseman i love the Picture of the Cathedral near the water that you posted,

Peace, unruhig