Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 15-01-2020, 07:10 AM
janielee

Shivani Devi and sea dove,

Thank you so much for sharing substantive and real life experience. Appreciate that.

Shivani Devi, wishing you well, I have never fasted before.. I would be very interested in more details on this and your approach at some point, if you are interested to share or elaborate further.

Namaste, and thank you again -

Jl
Old 15-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dove
I dont find extreme fasting does bring on special experiences.
Hi Sea-dove,
Sounds that you did though...

Quote:
My experience was after the no food and water fasting at day 3 .. I had a hot bath and on getting out of the bath I got a massive head spin and collapsed onto the bathroom floor and could not stand back up. At that point a voice spoke to me as a command "stand child".. and I got actually picked up off the floor by a force and stood back on my feet (I didn't like get up at all, I was picked up by the force) and was strong then standing when that was done.

Quote:
I've had many big spiritual experiences when not fasting at all so I wont count that voice and being stood up (though I must admit that its the only time Ive had a force stand me up). You DO NOT need to fast for experiences.. just meditate or do spiritual and energy work and in my experience I'm less likely to have spiritual experiences when fasting then if I'm just meditating.
It seems that Jesus, Elijah, Moses and other men did need it in order to experience 'divine revelations'. It is not a necessity, agreed. However, in the case of a long fast, sleep deprivation, or poor diet/malnourishment it does give possibility to it being an hallucination. If there's a 'god' I somehow doubt it is a necessity to starve or be unhealthy in order to 'connect'.

Hope you're well and recovered.
Old 21-01-2020, 10:02 AM
Master
Interesting article:

Clinical, Psychological, and Personality Correlates of Asceticism in Anorexia Nervosa: From Saint Anorexia to Pathologic Perfectionism

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Perfectionism

Interesting book that deals with such topics as starvation, sleep deprivation, and self-injurious behaviour: The Mystic Mind
https://www.ipsepa.com/content/uploa...d-ascetics.pdf

Quote:
While most of the heroic ascetics did not engage in heavy manual labor or child-bearing which would increase their caloric and mineral requirements, their severe dietary restrictions, using the ordinary marginal medieval diet as a taking-off point, were such as to bring them into starvation conditions. For example, Guthlac (674–714), after he became a solitary hermit in the fens of what is now East Anglia, was said to observe the following dietary regimen:

So great indeed was the abstinence of his daily life that from the time when he began to inhabit the desert he ate no food of any kind except that after sunset he took a scrap of barley bread and a small cup of muddy water. For when the sun reached its western limits, then he thankfully tasted some little provision for the needs of this mortal life.

If we calculate Guthlac’s daily diet as one cup of barley bread, this would give him about 700 calories, 19 grams protein, no vitamin A or C, and insufficient B vitamins. It is possible that the cup of muddy water did contain some nutrients and minerals. The effects of such austere diets are additive, even allowing for the possibility of some degree of exaggeration in his asceticism. The text proceeds to describe how Guthlac was able to resist the temptation, hinted at in many saints’ lives, to extend the fast ever more severely. Two devils in human form appear to Guthlac, compliment him on the power of his faith, and offer to instruct him in the lives of the ancient hermits.

For Moses and Elijah and the Savior of the human race Himself first of all scaled the heights of fasting: moreover those famous monks who inhabited Egypt destroyed the vices of human weakness with the sword of abstinence. And therefore if you wish to wash away your sins committed in the past and to destroy those that threaten, afflict your flesh with the whips of abstinence and crush the arrogance of your mind with the rods of fasting. For in so far as you are broken down in this world, you shall be made whole and firm in eternity.