Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 25-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
IMO, a method such as this, can do more harm than it can good. When a reader is just starting out, there is already plenty for them to contend with and worry about with their reading. For them to be purposely wrong, well, you can run the chance that you send them backwards in their growth.

For some, they may become frustrated with spirit in those shoes, and even quit instead of working to progress themselves.

Innerlight, you have just described emotional vulnerability. In this case, not quite emotional, but being willing to make mistakes is an expression of vulnerability.

I understand what you mean. Sometimes we need encouragement (emotional nourishment) to help us grow. But there are values in making mistakes. We learn more from our mistakes than from our correctness.

For my case, being right, especially from the start, or not having tasted enough failures, fuels my arrogance, which is an over-inflation of the ego. It is better to learn how to fall first, then learn how to crawl and walk. That way, the fruits of your success will be that much sweeter, and you would not look down on those who are not as good, because you have been there before.

If your road to success does not have enough obstacles, then if you hit an obstacle later in life, you may not have the strength to brace yourself, because you have not learned how to brace against adversities. In that case, your fall will be from top floor to bottom, and it would hurt much more, and it would be much more difficult to reclaim your confidence.

We gain more strength in the face of adversities, then in the face of smooth-sailing wind.
Old 18-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Deactivated Account
Are there any prerequisites to mediumship? Is it a, you have the gift or don't have the gift situation?

Last edited by Aaron Lowe : 18-09-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 18-09-2017, 03:01 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Lowe
Are there any prerequisites to mediumship? Is is a, you have the gift or don't have the gift situation?

From my experience so far, it seems to be an innate ability in all humans. Probably 95% of people however never take time to develop it, or steadfastly believe it's fake, or that they aren't gifted.

Of those who do realize they have the ability, some put in a lot of effort and practice and therefore get better at it, and some are content to only use it now and then.

On the prior question, that of making all the mistakes first or getting positive results to give one confidence...

For me I needed all the positive reinforcement and feedback I could get. I honestly did not know that I could be a medium, didn't know anything about clairvoyance or clairaudience. First time I actually pick up something the reader could take, I was like "your kidding, right?"

So it likely depends solely on the individual and what style helps them learn. If I had made a series of mistakes right off the bat, I'm pretty sure I would have given up entirely.
Old 18-09-2017, 03:25 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tiger
First time I actually pick up something the reader could take, I was like "your kidding, right?"
Does this mean you don't know the validity of what you're saying without a reader?

What if you just want to mediate by yourself?
Old 18-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Guide

Sorry, I should have said "Pick up something the SITTER could take." Sunday night and my brain is tired lol.

If I am reading for someone and the sitter isn't in the room (I often read via chat rooms and through message boards) I do not know the validity of what I get until the sitter gives me feedback.

As time has gone by and I've had more practice, there are times when I feel pretty confident in what I have seen/felt before I get feedback but I'm always just a bit "anxious" that this will be the time I totally miss lol.

So the very first time I was in a class and focused on someone and told them what I saw... and they said it was right... it was incredible and quite a shock!

I still sort of hold my breath until I get feedback. Probably a mediums/psychic's greatest obstacle is doubt.
Old 18-09-2017, 06:06 AM
Deactivated Account
So, you can't just mediate between yourself and a spirit?
Old 18-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Guide

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Some spirits come through very clearly, and it's almost like sitting down and chatting with someone.

Other times spirits aren't as clear, and I wonder if communicating with us is a skill they have to practice to master. Some spirits only give images or show memories, but don't actually just say "Hi, I'm Amy's Uncle George."

They may show images of Christmas gatherings, or a favorite pet, or an old pocket watch they always carried. It's up to a medium to pass along what the medium sees, hears, feels to the sitter without judging whether it makes sense.

I'm not sure why there is such a range of "quality" of the connection. From a full-on conversation, to a collection of images, to almost a game of charades. Maybe it depends on how long spirit has been gone.

With spirits I pick up for myself, it's most often a good solid link and an easy to understand conversation.
Old 19-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Are there any prerequisites to mediumship? Is it a, you have the gift or don't have the gift situation?

I think we all have the gift in varying degrees. It is an innate ability for sure, but some people have it more than others. I have a friend who is able to tell the degree to which someone is gifted (she calls it either "low grade" or "high grade").

What has happened to me is that almost all my life I had no idea I had a gift and it is only in the past 5 years that the gift has sharpened to an extent that I cannot ignore any longer. In my culture, someone with this gift is compelled to go through a training/initiation where they are taught to communicate with their spirit guides with the intention to help other people.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Deactivated Account
From the replies I've received they all involve other people. Looks like mediumship is not meant for self practice. That's a shame as otherwise I'd have given it a chance. If someone compelled me to communicate with another person, I wouldn't mind, but that is not my starting point.
Old 26-09-2017, 04:57 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
So, you can't just mediate between yourself and a spirit?

This would be called Telepathy. Yes, it is possible to do this. I would start out trying this method than doing the mediumship thing where you are passing information to someone else. Though it depends, in many cases doing something like intuitive writing, not sure the name, where spirit or your guides will talk through you on to the paper or typing into the word document is an easier first step. This way you get practice working with spirit and begin to feel their energy or know what it is like when they are there and when they are not communicating to you.

If you have had prior experiences with spirit it would help you but if not then you can use the intuitive writing method to begin your practice.