Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Signs & Synchronicities

Old 03-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Debunking confirmation bias

is there a way to prove synchronicity is more than just confirmation bias
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 AM
Master
What is confirming it anyway? That's how I look at things.

Even if it is confirmation bias, at least whatever it is gets confirmed by something either within or outside our own mindspace in a way it becomes manifested in the material universe and that's pretty cool nonetheless.

Confirmation bias can be debunked via way of subjective relativity.

For example, you may say 'oh, that's only confirmation bias' and I can say 'oh, that's only you saying that it is confirmation bias and what would you know about it?'

I mean no disrespect, I am only trying to put this logically.

This 'new age of entitlement' has taught me a lot, in that the beliefs of one person has absolutely no bearing or relevence to the beliefs of another person, even IF they believe in the same thing because it all boils down to personal experience which is totally irrelevant if anybody else believes it or not because it is their 'right' to believe it.

Very isolating, isn't it?
Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Master
Syncs are often so tailor made and personalized that I think it'd be hard to prove it to anyone else other than yourself b/c it's such an "out there" concept.

First, how would you define & establish the parameters of what constitutes a sync, as opposed to what is mere coincidence? Unless the sync was multi-tiered it would be hard to suss out the technical difference.

Second, the mere presence of a "skeptic" (dubunker) who may have a dim view of psychic type possibilities to the point that his or her energy will contribute to lessening the likelihood of them occurring. Conversely, confirmation bias in and of itself imo brings an energy to increase likelihood. In some drug testing of anti-depressants, the control group, placebo sugar pills had a greater positive measurable effect than the particular chemical concoction they were testing in hopes of eliciting said effect. Belief that a thing will help you... helps you.

Also syncs come in waves a lot of the time for me, it's hard to prove something to someone else if they are not open to the possibility, and even if they are it's best to rely on first hand experience of it rather than taking anyone's word on anything regardless of how much authority or expertise they may seem to have or exude.

Although I'd be open to scientific testing of synchronicity if ever a person could come up with a suitable set up to test it, would be interesting to see the results, have no idea how you'd go about it satisfactorily though, not to say it couldn't be done.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Deactivated Account
"The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire" by Deepak Chopra. In the first portion of the book he explains the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. You may find this helpful in answering your question. He uses physics to support synchrony.

Many Blessings
Old 26-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Are you sure there's no way to debunk confirmation bias
Old 28-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

i'm starting to think all my synchronicities were just confirmation bias, Please tell me if there is anything I can do to prove it's not
Old 28-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Master
It is whatever it is to you and if you think it is confirmation bias, then that's what it is. Just don't expect another to agree with you though because things may be totally different for them.

Synchronicities are whatever you make them out to be, from annoying coincidence, to deja-vu to angel messages. It depends where your vibration is at.
Old 28-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21771
i'm starting to think all my synchronicities were just confirmation bias, Please tell me if there is anything I can do to prove it's not

Sorry I'm not familiar with the term ' confirmation bias', what does it mean ?

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 28-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Master
Quote:
is there a way to prove synchronicity is more than just confirmation bias

Quote:
Are you sure there's no way to debunk confirmation bias

Quote:

If you want spoon fed answers about synchronicity then you might be better off believing the confirmation bias theory and forgetting about it altogether.

That or there's a book or hundreds out there who's author/s would be happy to take your money to tell you what to think, with plenty of believer or debunker writers to choose from.
Old 28-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Master
Forgive me if that sounds blunt or cynical, it's just you haven't engaged with any of the feedback provided here by anyone and come off to me sort of as lazily expecting answers to drop at your feet. Not how it works imo.

What are you asking, exactly? Why are you seemingly fixated on this particular question? What would satisfy you in terms of debunking? Would a science lab &/or experiment be involved? Would you rather they were due to confirmation bias, or something else?

This fr. National Geographic re: 911 & the random number generator may constitute a type of proof, though not absolute by any means, it's just 1 example off top of my head. This is contested of course, and rightly so, although if the integrity of the project & it's claims/data are accurate then to me that's something.

If you can reasonably & adequately explain ALL? your syncs away as conf. bias, then imo they are watered down to the point where their impact isn't such that it matters either way.

With the big ones, in my experience, they cannot be comfortably attributed to any mundane, 'just so happened' coincidence. To me there's no doubt it was something other. The only question is what it's all about, not whether or not it's real.

The example above is just 1 of many. Google is your friend. Some physicists have interesting things to say these days. Why wait for people to tell you? Do a little research of your own I would say. Big wide world of information available at your finger tips, just don't believe (or disbelieve) everything you read.