Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Ascender

Today I learned a lesson about the degrees of suffering in this world. I was at work and after lunch was sent to work on the jet truck cleaning sewer pump stations, a regular Friday job that's preventative maintenance. Just before knock off we got called out to a blocked sewer. Because of parking issues, the manhole was near a high school and also because of a lot of trees near the manhole, we ended up working in a very close proximity to the manhole. Unfortunately the hose let go under enormous pressure and I ended up getting belted by the hose in the top lip and under the nose. After getting the blood cleaned up and some basic first aid of antiseptic and an ice pack I made my way home.
At the moment I've eaten and am still feeling a bit worse for wear but in a few days or so I would have recovered.
While all this is happening one of my workmates is going through a marriage breakup. I can't help but wonder how he'd love to trade places with me. Physical pain is a lot easier to deal with than emotional pain.
To minimize my own suffering I'm just trying not to dwell on how bashed up I feel and realize that maybe it's my karma, maybe it's bad luck but either way it's over and life goes on.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Experiencer

The cause of suffering may be that it's a choice we make as a way of avoiding truth and the basic emptiness of our being. It's an escape from what is. Pleasure also can be that escape. It's insane what people will do to avoid reality.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Today I learned a lesson about the degrees of suffering in this world. I was at work and after lunch was sent to work on the jet truck cleaning sewer pump stations, a regular Friday job that's preventative maintenance. Just before knock off we got called out to a blocked sewer. Because of parking issues, the manhole was near a high school and also because of a lot of trees near the manhole, we ended up working in a very close proximity to the manhole. Unfortunately the hose let go under enormous pressure and I ended up getting belted by the hose in the top lip and under the nose. After getting the blood cleaned up and some basic first aid of antiseptic and an ice pack I made my way home.
At the moment I've eaten and am still feeling a bit worse for wear but in a few days or so I would have recovered.
While all this is happening one of my workmates is going through a marriage breakup. I can't help but wonder how he'd love to trade places with me. Physical pain is a lot easier to deal with than emotional pain.
To minimize my own suffering I'm just trying not to dwell on how bashed up I feel and realize that maybe it's my karma, maybe it's bad luck but either way it's over and life goes on.

We are lucky to see the difference between pain and suffering shaunc, some can't.
Hope your pain subsides quickly, the suffering you have dealt with yourself
Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Who was it that wrote this post?
Whoever it was had the thoughts ideas desires to write it and then share it.

The way I understand my path is to be present with whatever is without bias that would come from the conditioned and conceptual mind. Right now is there a desire? If so let it go, if not desire does not exist for me now.

Like if I say desire is a problem, that may or may not be true. Is desire present in the current moment? I have to look at my actual state, not an imagined one where I tell myself desire is always a problem for me. But then maybe that's the actual state right, telling myself stuff about desire, being in my mind.

Then say I say everyone has desires and desires are good and all of that... here again where is my attention? It is on my thoughts. Desire is a word for something else, to name this something else something I have to focusing my attention on the mind and thought. The conceptual symbolic world not the actual one Buddha says we can also experience and live in.

The only thing that exists is what is present now. But then, yes, we humans can also live within the conceptual mental world where desire always lives and exists.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
The way I understand my path is to be present with whatever is without bias that would come from the conditioned and conceptual mind. Right now is there a desire? If so let it go, if not desire does not exist for me now.

Like if I say desire is a problem, that may or may not be true. Is desire present in the current moment? I have to look at my actual state,

Precisely.

Quote:
]not an imagined one where I tell myself desire is always a problem for me. But then maybe that's the actual state right, telling myself stuff about desire, being in my mind.

Yes.

Quote:
Then say I say everyone has desires and desires are good and all of that... here again where is my attention? It is on my thoughts. Desire is a word for something else, to name this something else something I have to focusing my attention on the mind and thought. The conceptual symbolic world not the actual one Buddha says we can also experience and live in.

I think the one Buddha describes is an imaginary one.

Quote:
The only thing that exists is what is present now. But then, yes, we humans can also live within the conceptual mental world where desire always lives and exists.

Zactamondo.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Master
Quote:

Like if I say desire is a problem, that may or may not be true. Is desire present in the current moment? I have to look at my actual state, not an imagined one where I tell myself desire is always a problem for me. But then maybe that's the actual state right, telling myself stuff about desire, being in my mind.

I am grateful I have desires as long as they don't turn sticky ( dö chag )
Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Suspended

My only desire is to have no desires! To be in the present moment without a "person," or thought based self telling me things need to be different than they are, telling me all is not how it should be as it is. So to be in that space, I drop all desires even the desire to be desire-less. Actually, there is no I to drop anything. It's all just a bunch of thought based mind games. Throw the whole thing out. Live without thinking and ideas. Be conflict free, within and without.

Last edited by Rain95 : 03-03-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:04 AM
Master
Quote:
My only desire is to have no desires! To be in the present moment without a "person," or thought based self telling me things need to be different than they are, telling me all is not how it should be as it is. So to be in that space, I drop all desires even the desire to be desire-less. Actually, there is no I to drop anything. It's all just a bunch of thought based mind games. Throw the whole thing out. Live without thinking and ideas. Be conflict free, within and without.

All things we think about, have a place within (our totality of being) where there is nothing to think about. So being aware of yourself thinking means all things can pass through nothing if we allow ourselves to go to that place in ourselves. I like my ideas that flow from an open clear mind all the same. I like thinking about things, only now I know my mind well enough to know where my thinking is coming from. That to me is more what I would liken to an empowered mindset. Or clear knowing, where you let the flow of yourself move deeper beyond just thoughts alone. You let all of yourself interact with yourself.

A young man I was talking to yesterday was firing one hundred questions at me. I sensed within his being he wondered if he could just be a normal guy, do what he loved and do normal things if he goes that deep into himself, he is moving beyond trauma and wanting to delve deeper into a more enlightened way of being. I also sensed (without him saying out loud) that he thought he might lose himself through the process and that was a little daunting. I reassured him being yourself is pretty cool, without all the baggage and old conditioned patterns in the way. You get to experience yourself more clear and more in truth of who you are moment to moment. I did mention even as we "pass through" so much of ourselves through process, let go of so much, you as the person you are and want to be more connected to, becomes more about being yourself more freely and with feelings of being more comfortable in your own skin. He began to understand and feel in himself the hope that he could welcome this next stage for himself.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 AM
Master
Quote:
No person, no ideas, no desires, no self caused suffering.

I think the answer to find the cause is me. I am the cause. So live without an I.

It's funny because if I read that statement I try to imagine how life would be without an I. Imagine it, think about it, have a concept of it... all of which keeps the I going...the I based on thoughts.

What is life like if we drop all thoughts? If you have any kind of answer, you have not dropped all thoughts.

What is it? It's what is has always been, before you came to be and exactly the same after you left. Nothing changes at all. Because the you was never you. You were just distracted by a shiny object which is thought..... if you look away it's like turning off the radio or the tv... inner and outer peace is born.

What do I think about desire? Is it good or bad? Really if I just am I have no idea what desire is. I am not experiencing it. I am listening to the silence around me, sensing the warmth of the room, the inner and outer contentment and peace. I don't know what desire is because it is not here, a part of my now. I just am as I exist before any thought is present. In this mystery, in wonder. In this peace compassion and love is born. I think it moves with acceptance, non-judgement, with passive surrender, without reaction, just a calm accepting of whatever is without any desires for it to be anything other than what it is. With no interest is a self that makes it into something.

I relate... Eventually all things we think about are thoughts activating us to notice something in ourselves for "just being ourselves" and living our life (being in action) Each thought becomes an activation to both end that thought and if needed an opportunity, to integrate something deeper that might be lingering deeper in our mind/body system "contained' or needing to understand deeper awareness of life or itself as life. So any kind of investigation or exploration serves us in some way to come back to the self just being itself, with less and more, for the ones own walk and life creation. The initial thought, in this view, could be likened to a seed of creation with potential to both let the thought go (and all of its containment) and consequently, build deeper awareness of yourself, for your own movements more aware ..( a more conscious creative process from that point).

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 AM
Master
I do dig very deep to get answers (for myself anyway).

I just watched a few lectures by Dr. Lissa Rankin - who I never heard about before today, as my guides took me on a 'web journey' of self-discovery.

Dr. Rankin wrote such books as 'The Fear Cure' and other things.

Basically, she says that the reason why people suffer is because we ignore signs from 'spirit' in that the ego takes over, believing we should do this/that and not because we need to do this/that - often leading to financial problems, disease and such.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1254...listening.html

After this, I found another...

"Do you resist communing with the Divine?" and I must admit, I do...but I don't know why:

http://lissarankin.com/do-you-resist...ith-the-divine

*the comments to this one are totally fascinating!

After this, I was lead to an article about those who have way too much cortisol.

http://lissarankin.com/10-signs-you-...-much-cortisol

Okay! Okay! enough God! I get it!

...and so, I have decided to give this doctor, some of my time.