Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 14-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Master

What Is Your Greatest Distraction? What Helps You The Most?

I left it at that without giving it a subject matter.

We all have distractions in life. Distractions that keep us from doing what we need to be doing. Distractions that keep us from reaching goals.

For me, my greatest distractions are

1. Not enough hours in the day.
2. Limited mobility
3. Gaming
4. Procrastination. Procrastination should be at the top of the list.

What helps me the most is making a to-do list. Said list isn't thrown away until everything is crossed off. Right now my list has all been crossed off except one thing. And I'm dragging my heels on that one.

Now as far as distractions on my spiritual growth, I just sigh. I've got stacks of books I want to read but, that's work! I leave them out all over the house to remind me what I need to be doing. Okay! I'm going to go and crack one of them right now and get started.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:26 AM
Guide
Im happy about my distractions. Society has been built for people to spend their days working and doing tasks. If you can distract yourself by having fun, i encourage it. I know you mean "what helps the most?" meaning eliminating distractions. But distractions are the best part of life: fun/games, that cute guy/girl, living vicariously through others because you might be unable to live that lifestyle. What helps me through life are great distractions to remind that this isnt just a life, but a fantasy world.
Old 15-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
4. Procrastination. Procrastination should be at the top of the list.
The greatest labour-saving device invented!

Quote:
What helps me the most is making a to-do list. Said list isn't thrown away until everything is crossed off. Right now my list has all been crossed off except one thing. And I'm dragging my heels on that one.
I also write to do lists although some things have been modularised. The waking-up module starts on actually getting out of bed (i.e. post notating any dream fragments, if I can be bothered) starting the coffee pot, washing/showering, trying to find clothes, breakfast, unlocking the door then trying to remember where I put the to-do list written last night. Ah...on the microwave as usual.

Perhaps the best distraction is popping in the café after a Zumba session with 'the girls' or visiting the esoteric shop for a general chat and make tea for them if they're too busy to chat; have a browse of any new titles turning up or artifacts that are going to cure my problems once and for all!
Old 15-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Master

Brucely, sounds like you are here to relax and enjoy life! I'm more of an on-target person. This is a working incarnation. Roll up the sleeves and learn what I need to learn so I can go home.

Lorelyen, I've found the best time to make my to-do list is the night before. If I do it the day of, I 'forget' half the things I need to do. Probably subconsciously on purpose.
Old 15-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Ascender

Conscious and structured thought distracts me from my Spirit.
Peace stillness and trance distracts me from my Human Personality.
Both states are important and "we" think "we" are trying to find the middle ground between spirit and personality/ego.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Roger Wilco

interesting this been thinking don't think there is anything I need be doing

and no spiritual growth ?? emerged in the energies that makes one grow

well they are around me , do not travel trough the web or are in books ????

I don't own any spiritual books ,,,

you make me feel like an out cast blown away on winds of not comprehending

but thats quite interesting :-) lol

edit

ah I just looked at in my library and must fessup

a spiritual book was there the Louise L. Hay list
I also have a few classics namely Plato but last looked in those when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth
I am not a complete moron ( I think ) i have over a 1000 books there on wide range of subjects
they are of more recent date , other wise the dinosaurs would have eaten them specialty the librararoraptosaures
has a an appetite that is more riveting than a regular Dan Brown type reader at speed

Last edited by Roger Wilco : 15-08-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 22-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Newbie ;)

Personally i find myself distracted most often by media. Games books TV etc. Kind of feel disappointed in myself when I let one of the above distract me too much. Then I remember that it's ok to let your mind wander for a time, let it relax and then get back on task.

Ironically though, my biggest help is another form of media. Music. The right music can invoke any emotional state I'm going for, it helps meditation, enhances thoughts and overall helps me come to focus on what I feel is important.

I have playlists for meditation, for inspiration, and for focus. I just figure out what I want, put in some earbuds and go for it.
Old 23-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Master
procrastination is definitely first on my list as well
not enough hours in the day
too much work to be done
very little down time

I only make to do lists for my work schedule. it does help a lot to keep me focused on work.

at home what really helps me get thru is if I have help from the hubs. if he makes more of an effort, it frees me up to get things done. I think it's more resentment than anything else because I feel like I shouldn't have to ask him to do stuff around the house, especially since he works out of the house and could actually take care of little things on his down time. but you can only do so much.

I also crave me time. I don't get much time for myself. On the weekends I take my mom out shopping for a few hours on most Saturdays - it's the only day she gets out at times - she's elderly and doesn't drive and my family doesn't help out all that much.

Sundays are sometime spent doing house work which I loathe... or laundry, or entertaining other people. I'd like to have a whole weekend to myself, but that is a rare luxury.

some day.
Old 23-08-2018, 09:37 PM
Master
Biggest distraction????...In two words???......."THE BEACH"!!!

I live on the shores of the Gulf Coast........in fact the beach is just a 10 minute drive down the freeway to my office.

I can't tell you how many afternoons I've gotten fed up with work.....grabbed a nice cup of coffee from my favorite coffee shop on the way and sat on the seawall watching the waves roll in for a bit before getting back to work.

This is going to sound redundant.....biggest help???.....The Beach!!!
Relaxing to the sound of the waves rolling in into the surf keeps me sane in a busy world.

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 24-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Master

Jojo I feel your frustration. I wish I could give you an hour each day (an extra hour) for just you.

I love the Gulf of Mexico Lucky. We would go the Galveston when we went to the beach or Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi was a bit further so it was usually Galveston. The beach is ingrained on your soul.