Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 23-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Tobi Tobi is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,021
  Tobi's Avatar
You can incorporate a love of Jesus Christ into whatever spiritual path you wish to take.
When Christianity came to Britain, the priests incorporated the native traditions which had been intrinsic for thousands of years, into the 'new religion'. Otherwise it would have been totally rejected.
Thus we have the apparently conflicting symbols of "Christmas" and "Easter", all in a mish-mash together. For example, the holly, the ivy, the pine tree, the Yule log, the birth of the God from out of the darkest time of year....etc.
These two apparently conflicting things were happily jiggled about so they co-incided more or less with the Winter Solstice. And that's when the birth of Jesus is celebrated!
The Son becomes the Sun, and vice-versa. The Life-bringer.

That is all about "religion". What you feel in your Heart doesn't have to be boxed-in. You can love Jesus too, beyond "religion" of any kind. Who is to tell you what you must or must not do in your Heart?
He is quite capable of also knowing you, and what is in your Heart.

What you are called to explore or experience, or give, with truth and love and respect, cannot go against Him. (Although you are bound to gain disapproval on both sides from those who are religion-bound.)
__________________
A Dog's Life After Death
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 23-09-2016, 08:15 AM
norseman norseman is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Striding the hedge
Posts: 4,558
  norseman's Avatar
Sorry Tobi, but Christ is a fictional character, a series of myths originating possibly with the Essene sect. I reiterate, the Roman were obsessive in civic record keeping - there is no record of birth, trial, or crucifixion of Christ. QED.
__________________
Remembrance is a form of meeting.[Gibran]
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 23-09-2016, 10:01 AM
knightofalbion knightofalbion is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,232
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Sorry Tobi, but Christ is a fictional character, a series of myths originating possibly with the Essene sect. I reiterate, the Roman were obsessive in civic record keeping - there is no record of birth, trial, or crucifixion of Christ. QED.

No-one disputes the existence of James, the brother of Jesus. And he (Jesus) certainly isn't a fictional character in the Essene gospels and other writings of the first century. Plus if you know Christianity's biggest secret, not spiritually relevant, there is your proof.
__________________
All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 24-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Lepus Lepus is offline
Guide
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 620
  Lepus's Avatar
Hello Tobi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
You can incorporate a love of Jesus Christ into whatever spiritual path you wish to take.
When Christianity came to Britain, the priests incorporated the native traditions which had been intrinsic for thousands of years, into the 'new religion'. Otherwise it would have been totally rejected.
Thus we have the apparently conflicting symbols of "Christmas" and "Easter", all in a mish-mash together. For example, the holly, the ivy, the pine tree, the Yule log, the birth of the God from out of the darkest time of year....etc.
These two apparently conflicting things were happily jiggled about so they co-incided more or less with the Winter Solstice. And that's when the birth of Jesus is celebrated!
The Son becomes the Sun, and vice-versa. The Life-bringer.

That is all about "religion". What you feel in your Heart doesn't have to be boxed-in. You can love Jesus too, beyond "religion" of any kind. Who is to tell you what you must or must not do in your Heart?
He is quite capable of also knowing you, and what is in your Heart.

What you are called to explore or experience, or give, with truth and love and respect, cannot go against Him. (Although you are bound to gain disapproval on both sides from those who are religion-bound.)

I'm sure the only reason why Christians "borrowed" several Pagan holidays was to convert the Pagans to Christianity; as well, they were jealous of the Pagans for having traditional festivals. Christianity stole most of their traditions and incorporated them into their holidays. These same traditions are now commercialized for financial gain, it seems.

Blessed be,
Lepus
__________________
“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.”
― Walter C. Langer
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 25-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Tobi Tobi is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,021
  Tobi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello Tobi,



I'm sure the only reason why Christians "borrowed" several Pagan holidays was to convert the Pagans to Christianity; as well, they were jealous of the Pagans for having traditional festivals. Christianity stole most of their traditions and incorporated them into their holidays. These same traditions are now commercialized for financial gain, it seems.

Blessed be,
Lepus
Yes Lepus, it was. (And yes it is commercialised now....unfortunately!)

But if we look deeply we will find these ideas are all related. They are not so separate! "Religion" has made them so with its confines. There is a meeting-ground for all these concepts which are speaking of the same thing in different 'languages'.
Well...that's what I see anyway, but don't mean to force my vision on others who may see differently.
__________________
A Dog's Life After Death
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26-09-2016, 05:33 AM
icebluefaerie icebluefaerie is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 73
  icebluefaerie's Avatar
My response to the original question:

Yes you can. Or rather, you can identify with Christianity, but also identify with Wicca beliefs as well. Personally, I find it very difficult to just choose a religion, and to somehow agree with -every- single one of the beliefs that people say surrounding it in order to be considered a true follower of that particular religion or denomination. How can anyone just take a "box" and accept everything that is in it as the entire truth without even questioning the individual contents that are inside of it?

This may be a silly example but I feel it works: If you were a fan of jelly beans, but didn't happen to like the green or pink flavored ones, would that make you any less of a jelly bean lover? I feel this example happens to work with spirituality and beliefs. If there are specific beliefs that do not resonate with you and just feel wrong, let them go. That doesn't mean you can only be one or the other.

I am a Christian, in the fact I follow the bible, believe in Jesus Christ, am born again, and I strongly believe in the power of prayer. However, I also happen to believe in the healing power of crystals, animal totems, holistic medicine, and that there are spiritual guides and helpers all around us, such as the gods/goddesses/or ascended masters.

Some people might say I can't have it both ways, but really, you can. Or that I'm not a true "christian" because I have a mystical side. I say: Its my choice, my decision, and I find it silly to take any set of beliefs and to dismiss them as completely "bad" or "wrong." Its up to you ultimately to choose what feels right to you in your own heart and spirit.

Check out the book "The Path of a Christian Witch" by Adelina St. Clair. This is a good example of someone who identified with two completely different belief systems, but for her, it works. I believe if you can identify with different things, it shows that you are a open minded person.
__________________
~By choosing to be our most authentic and loving self, we leave a trail of magic everywhere we go.~
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26-09-2016, 09:16 AM
norseman norseman is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Striding the hedge
Posts: 4,558
  norseman's Avatar
You all can chop logic as much as you like BUT Wicca has a core of Traditional British Witchcraft - remember, the faith persecuted for centuries by "christians" and still persecuted in the American Bible belt. Obviously, I don't accept the bible except as a work of fiction and I don't accept the existence of Christ as more than a mythical figure.
Anyone who proclaims to be a christian witch is neither christian or a witch - a continuation of the pik-n-mix mentality of wicca itself. I began my journey in Wicca but soon realised that it is mostly show and little substance in practice which is not what Gerald Gardner envisaged. I soon departed for the "deeper" levels of the Cunning Folk.
__________________
Remembrance is a form of meeting.[Gibran]
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 26-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Lepus Lepus is offline
Guide
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 620
  Lepus's Avatar
Hello,

Sorry, but "Christian Wicca" is an oxymoron. Lets not forget how Witches were persecuted for practicing Traditional Witchcraft by Christians, the same Traditional Witchcraft Wiccans practice today.

Blessed be,
Lepus
__________________
“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.”
― Walter C. Langer
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 27-09-2016, 08:12 AM
norseman norseman is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Striding the hedge
Posts: 4,558
  norseman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello,

Sorry, but "Christian Wicca" is an oxymoron. Lets not forget how Witches were persecuted for practicing Traditional Witchcraft by Christians, the same Traditional Witchcraft Wiccans practice today.

Blessed be,
Lepus

Sadly, Lepus, many wiccans tend to ignore the "craft of the witch" element as it involves dedication and hard work, preferring the "smokes and mirrors elements" instead. The epithet of "fluffy bunnies" is oft applied to Wiccans with justification.
__________________
Remembrance is a form of meeting.[Gibran]
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 29-09-2016, 02:35 AM
secretscribe secretscribe is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 71
  secretscribe's Avatar
Re: the original question

Well, when I was a Wiccan, my main religious activity was consulting the tarot; candles and magic never stuck to me. When I became a Christian I never stopped using it, as Christians can use it, including the people who invented the blessed thing.... I changed slightly in that I decreased a lot how much I use the Goddess oracle and instead kinda mainstreamed into using a Rider-Waite derivative (a cartoon version called the Ator Tarot).

.... I mean, when I was a pagan, I wanted everything to be pagan; every day had to be May Day. That was my choice, of course. Now I can choose to be influenced by the Tao Te Ching, JS Bach, the gospel. But what is more "pagan"-y, that works, well, you judge it by its fruit, right. But even when I was a Wiccan, I never really wanted to do lots of ritual just to be 'more' pagan.

So there's a lot more to something than the label, is it Pagan or Christian, as though you could reduce everything to that.
__________________
"In my world, nothing ever goes wrong."
Nisargadatta Maharaj

"There is no such thing as ruining your life."
Sophie Kinsella
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums