Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Suspended

When Thoughts are not Your Own

Modern Science has discovered thoughts appear in the brain before we are conscious of them. In other words, "we" are not the creators of our thoughts, our brains are. But then conscious awareness, awake in the immediate now, which is what we are, influences not only the reality and affect our thoughts have on our perception and experience, it also determines how much our thoughts become "us" by way of association and identification.

So then the Path, described by Buddha and others, is to be pathless, only awake and aware now so that thoughts, which are not of us, or from us, do not influence what we experience, perceive, or project.
Old 17-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
Modern Science has discovered thoughts appear in the brain before we are conscious of them. In other words, "we" are not the creators of our thoughts, our brains are. But then conscious awareness, awake in the immediate now, which is what we are, influences not only the reality and affect our thoughts have on our perception and experience, it also determines how much our thoughts become "us" by way of association and identification.

So then the Path, described by Buddha and others, is to be pathless, only awake and aware now so that thoughts, which are not of us, or from us, do not influence what we experience, perceive, or project.

' Modern Science has discovered thoughts appear in the brain before we are conscious of them '

Took them a long time to catch up with Buddha's insights
Old 17-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Master
Quote:

Perhaps what we are can subconsciously create a thought without consciously knowing.

It's like sending an email to oneself and not knowing one has..

Some might say that our intuitive thoughts at times are other aspects of the same self sending messages.

Perhaps the scientists don't really know enough about self.

x daz x
Old 17-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
Perhaps what we are can subconsciously create a thought without consciously knowing.

It's like sending an email to oneself and not knowing one has..

Some might say that our intuitive thoughts at times are other aspects of the same self sending messages.

Perhaps the scientists don't really know enough about self.

x daz x

Now when you say "we send subconsciously" that implies we have a part of ourselves we are not conscious of, or aware of, but it is creating content for us, in this case, thoughts. So something we have no awareness of, or control over, is providing content which we then let affect our perception and experience of now. So what control do we consciously have over ourselves if this is the case? Seems to me the only control we would have is to determine what relationship we have with this content that is being provided to us without our conscious input or control.

And I think this is what Buddha alluded to. To live in this moment, unaffected or influenced by thought or thoughts interpretation or judgment of now.

That is the path, to be here now, be present now without interpretation or expectation or judgment, as all these things are products of thought or the subconscious. One could go further, as Buddha did, and get into the idea of no self.

If I am free of all of my content, then what am I? Is there a self? I exist yes, I am conscious and aware. In this moment, all is vivid, new, but there is no "self" here as "self" is a product of thought and thinking. I exist fully as me, but me is always brand new and clear and unconditioned...if I am free of the accumulated content of the brain which is relayed to me via thought.
Old 17-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Now when you say "we send subconsciously" that implies we have a part of ourselves we are not conscious of, or aware of, but it is creating content for us, in this case, thoughts. So something we have no awareness of, or control over, is providing content which we then let affect our perception and experience of now. So what control do we consciously have over ourselves if this is the case? Seems to me the only control we would have is to determine what relationship we have with this content that is being provided to us without our conscious input or control.

And I think this is what Buddha alluded to. To live in this moment, unaffected or influenced by thought or thoughts interpretation or judgment of now.

That is the path, to be here now, be present now without interpretation or expectation or judgment, as all these things are products of thought or the subconscious. One could go further, as Buddha did, and get into the idea of no self.

If I am free of all of my content, then what am I? Is there a self? I exist yes, I am conscious and aware. In this moment, all is vivid, new, but there is no "self" here as "self" is a product of thought and thinking. I exist fully as me, but me is always brand new and clear and unconditioned...if I am free of the accumulated content of the brain which is relayed to me via thought.

' that implies we have a part of ourselves we are not conscious of, or aware of, '

Yes, it's called the Alaya-vijnana, it is similar to what we call the subconscious.

Alaya-vijnana is a part of our mind that stores things outside of our conscious awareness.
Old 18-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Master
Quote:

The only thing I can suggest is to know self. If we know self then one can understand it's not about which aspect is controlling this and what conscious self aspect isn't controlling that.

This is why I said that the scientists perhaps need to understand the self rather that figuring out if the brain receives a signal prior to the mind-body responding.

It could be seen as a waste of time from this perspective if the scientists believe that the self is not conjuring the thoughts in some shape or form.

I think buddha has a point regarding thoughts but equally so there is something to being aware of one's thoughts and feelings on a deeper level. There is no point distancing them from self if it is a form of self communication / guidance.

I think 'thought' at times gets a bad rap and they can be seen as a hindrance or the state of mind that entertains thoughts is a lower plane of existence and one should always try and transcend them to a state beyond thought ..

That's all well and good when your sitting cross legged but not very practical while your at work earning a living.

x daz x
Old 20-12-2018, 05:15 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like

That's all well and good when your sitting cross legged but not very practical while your at work earning a living.

x daz x

Good afternoon Daz

Me thinks, it's best to tuck it away and have a bit of fun along the way
Old 25-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Seems like the body and the self it creates has no problem doing what it does routinely and habitually, going to work, driving a car, or whatever. In fact, it seems these things are done with a lighter feeling, without conflict. The difference is the heaviness that can accompany such things is absent. The judging and controlling mental self is not identified with much so one has a certain feeling of freedom and peace that is not the norm.

One feels lighter, happier, like one has dropped a burden. There is no sense of needing to become or do something. One just is and in that is a expanding feeling and one of infinite potential. One becomes aware of a self, the self, that is free of the self it formally identified with as self.

One may turn inward and ask questions about what one has observed about ones own behaviors. What compelled me to do this or that? If the cause and resulting effect is of the body and it's mind, the subconscious over which I have no control, then who or what is in charge and how does this effect how I choose to spend my time?
Old 27-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Master
Quote:

What one entertains in oneself around thoughts, is often determined by our relationship to the thought as you mentioned. How much of our being is invested in it. In some ways Buddha’s pathless path represents a more consciously aware path that can nip things, (where self is reacting) in the bud more quickly. It also represents a more conscious listening towards others as they are and present themselves in their thoughts. My pathless path is aware all paths lead to where we all heading, wherever that place/no place resides..
Old 28-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Suspended

All paths lead to clarity in the present moment.