Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Reiki

Old 08-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Guide

Using Reiki symbols

Over the course of my 4 year journey I have completed reiki level 2. I see this as something that takes time to really adjust to and digest before moving on to Master/teacher level, so I'm in no rush. However I haven't stopped learning, studying or questioning about Reiki. I picked up a book about Reiki today that shares a modern perspective on this ancient practice and it got me thinking...

There really are many variations of the history of how reiki as a practice came to be, not to mention how it was brought to the Western world in a way that made it more acceptable. Anyway, what got my attention once again was the use and importance of symbols in Reiki. It has been said Dr. Usui did not even use symbols in his practice (as some say), also how reiki is an intelligent energy and knows where to go, also it stresses to practitioners to detach from the outcome of a session. With that being said, why do we use so many different symbols for different purposes? Isn't that using our intention (through the meaning of each symbol)? Do we have any business in placing our intention through a symbol at all when this energy is supposedly divinely guided?

I'm open to opinions on these topics, as I'm trying to learn and formulate what I feel to be true. It's not my intention at all to undermine the practice of Reiki or how any practitioners conduct a session, nor is it my intention to start a heated debate. Other than that, your thoughts on this?
Old 13-01-2019, 02:52 AM
Knower

So I've been a reiki master since 1994. About the time of the explosion of different schools of thought about it, and different techniques. What I can tell you from my experience is that the ritual can help the reiki providers' experience, and deepen the understanding and connection for the provider, but the experience that the person receiving is having has nothing to do with you.

In relation to using the symbols, no matter what version you have been taught - and there are many - they can help you align to a particular frequency very quickly. Aligning can create a space, can create an intention, but the person who benefits the most from the rituals associated with reiki is the person providing the reiki, for their movement and mastery of self. If the person receiving reiki is meant to get the healing, they will, and your only participation is being a flow that is more accessible to what they need.

So have great fun, it is amazing hanging out in the reiki energy, using the symbols, building the space. And thank them for your healing when you're done :-)
Old 15-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Guide

Empowers, I appreciate your feedback! As I continued to read this book it highlighted exactly what you mentioned about the different variations of reiki, as well as the "new" versions and symbols that are popping up in the hundreds...and being trademarked. Sure, there are many ways people practice their reiki and I can appreciate that, but the way I see it marketed and monetized in the US does not feel authentic to me in the least. This is not to say that I don't believe in reiki, I just don't agree with the way it has been marketed. For these reasons I am hesitant to label myself under the umbrella of reiki.

I feel like the new versions and symbols that are being trademarked, taught and sold to clients and practitioners alike has everyone chasing something more powerful that they don't yet recognize within themselves. We can question whether or not Usui used symbols at all, or if the symbols he received were personal to his use of them...just like the new symbols popping up may be personal to the people who have received them in their meditation or what have you. Receiving someone else's symbols in my aura, in my opinion, only makes me feel more powerful if I believe that they are more powerful or spiritually advanced than I am...hence constantly chasing something that is outside of us.

I am only about 4 years into this journey with reiki, so please understand the stories, history, methods and reiki masters out there teaching now may be quite different since you have learned in 1994. In my experience so far, I have not had a teacher (I've had two different teachers for each level) who has me convinced, nor properly guided me. I'm ok with that though as I continue to seek out what feels true to me.
Old 15-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Knower

I'm happy to hear that this is the way you are approaching it. I know and knew the way that the 'industry' was moving. I had reiki even before 1994, it was then that I was initiated as a master and started teaching. I stopped associating myself with the industry around 1999 (and it HAS become an industry) because of the influx of people with their "one true technique" and the copyright claims.

Since then, people are usually referred to me because they are being confused or scared (!) or disappointed with the techniques and rituals they have been taught and someone I've previously spoken to tells them about my philosophy and understanding of reiki and that simplicity resonates with them.

But I have heard SO many stories. It's pretty amazing.

But, like your journey, I just have faith that people will come to their own understandings in their own time. The rituals will fall away and people will be left with their relationship with themselves and the universe and personal growth will happen in exactly the way they need.

And I find it very acceptable to not call it reiki, as you say, to label yourself under that umbrella. It means universal life force or vital life force. I find that much more real and representative.

It is great hanging out in the energy so have fun finding your space in that relationship. Experience is always the best teacher :)
Old 16-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Guide

Thank you Empowers. I really enjoyed reading your replies. It means a lot to me :)
Old 17-01-2019, 03:17 AM
Knower

You are welcome, anytime :-)
Old 29-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Master
Im also a reiki practitioner. I use reiki energy to support others in there self healing process. I developed my own awareness of healing with reiki by trusting myself in how and what I do in the shared space. Recently I learnt pellowah healing which is an off the body, energy practice that supports the auric field. In developing my own technique within all these things, I realize I’ve been intuitively doing what comes to me most naturally, much of what many energy practices teach. I felt stifled by the pellowah in class, mostly because my intuition needed to use both reiki, pranic and pellowah on the volunteers. The rule said to stay off the body. I realised in doing the class that each energy practice opens you the practitioner to feel different energies, to listen and understand deeper what is seeking what with regards to the one receiving. Now I sometimes find I don’t need symbols and sometimes I do. I trust myself and my intuition and that’s important to the shared space. I think with any practice we need to stay in the field of energy only to gain and build awareness of self and others. The practice details support you in becoming what you can be as yourself in trust you have everything you need to support others. If I were to create a healing modality now like channelled ones do. It would be my whole life’s work thus far. It would be what I am as a unique being who has healed herself.
Old 29-01-2019, 04:02 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
...stay in the field of energy only to gain and build awareness of self and others. The practice details support you in becoming what you can be as yourself in trust you have everything you need to support others...

I really like how you said this :)
Old 31-01-2019, 08:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empowers
I really like how you said this :)

It seems it has touched a part of you that relates. That’s always a nice receiving place. :)
Old 31-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Guide

Wow, JustBe...very inspiring. In the beginning of my journey I thought it was odd that some healers had so many different modalities under their belt. I really questioned for a while, which is the "right" one, but I've come to see that there value in learning many of them. I'm sure these classes and courses all provide knowledge in different layers of healing for every layer of our being, and we can then create our own modality using a combination of techniques. I have had healing sessions from two different women who each used a combination of reiki, pranic healing and other things and it fascinated me...the only thing is I am a sponge for knowledge and I wished they would've talked me through the sessions instead of making it a peaceful experience.

I am ready to look beyond reiki.