Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The ontological structure is firstly to hear the dhamma teachings and assume there is something to them on the basis of them supposedly said by the enlightened one; secondly, to intellectually chech if they are consistent, logical, they add up or seem to make sense and; lastly, to investigate the 'mindful objects' (mind body thoughts sensations) to see for yourself if what was said is true.

Yes it's a good point. Firstly there is philosophical aspect in the sense it is true a sutta says this and that, and that's quite a complex or nuanced philosophy. Secondly there's a practice, which is where it seems to become a mish mash of contradictory undertakings. Hence people can say you are feelings in one sentence and say you can't be that in the next.

I think the basic point is overlooked, and that is, are you aware of 'this' as it actually is (in the way you experience it to be) right now? There is an underlying investigation which looks into the underlying nature of said actuality - impermanance, change, emptiness and what have you.

You believe:
1. that that person is enlightened
2. that you know what enlightened means
3. that the suttas aren't contestable
4. that what you experience is accurate, and not your own creation
5. that all those words you mentioned are meaningful
6. (and more)

All those beliefs distort your experiences. The first sign should worry everybody is when they believe they might know the truth.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yea you basically need to to do a whole bunch of meditation to get the gist of the philosophy...

Are you saying the holly writings are almost meaningless and we should follow blind faith?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 26-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yea you basically need to to do a whole bunch of meditation to get the gist of the philosophy...
You see, you believe that meditation is the only / best tool "to get the gist of the philosophy". That is a belief. I disagree with your statement, and I am as sure as you probably are, ... both about the tool and the philosophy. And it's okay, until somebody is dismissive to another's belief, which makes him / her ... amusing.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
The "practice" is based on Buddhist teachings and gurus, so it starts from beliefs that are, (guess what!) as expected, confirmed. Even more, the practice's goal is to confirm them.

My point was / is that your truth doesn't weigh more than anybody else's. At least on my scale ...

I respect everybody's right to their opinions (not their opinions), and I'm amused by those who believe they know the absolute truth, especially if they subscribe to others' truth.

The practice is actually based on Universal Truths....
Old 26-01-2020, 08:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Are you saying the holly writings are almost meaningless and we should follow blind faith?

What are ' Holly Writings ' ?
Old 26-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The practice is actually based on Universal Truths....
Give me one Universal Truth, and please explain me how do you know that.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Give me one Universal Truth, and please explain me how do you know that.

Attachment causes pain, I know through experience
Nothing lasts forever. Experience shows this.

One and one spare....
Old 26-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Master

Quote:

One and one spare....
Your experience, as everybody's, isn't a yardstick for the truth.

1. Not attachment, but ignorance causes pain.
2. Your inner-self lasts forever
3. I suspect you think of "forever" in terms of time ... which is instantaneous (not simultaneous)

Anyway, I got more into this ping-pong than I intended, and I'm sure this leads nowhere. I won't think back of the arguments I replied to, as those I replied to will dismiss my arguments. And that is okay.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:

One and one spare....

I think one can be attached to non-attachment.
The universe is 13.8 billion years old and still going...

But yea I think everything is supposed to be sucked into a black hole eventually, but then it just gets packed denser and denser until another big bang happens,...so all this stuff seems to last forever.

It's funny to think of the two possibilities.

Say everything ends someday......what is left then? What is nothing?
Infinity is a trip too.

Lets say space is infinite without end.... NO END~
You could get in a magical space ship that travels billions and billions of miles a second.... and you can't reach the end of space BECAUSE THERE IS NONE~

So then you think, ok that is bizarre... lets say there is an end.... the only other possibility....well that is just as mind boggling.....

what is on the other side where the end is? How can an end exist?
what is nothing?

Both possibilities are incomprehensible to a human being and one has to be true.
Old 26-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Deactivated Account

Along the same lines, many scientists are now convinced of intelligent design due to recent discoveries in molecular biology. The first thing many think of is, ok so some intelligence made all this, why are there mistakes? Species that died off, planets with no life, things like illness and sickness? The all powerful all knowing God concept goes bye bye. The creator(s) make mistakes and don't know everything. They are more like us than Gods.