Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Master
Archive for Sanatan Dharma Books

Namaste.

I am very happy today. Whilst searching for Alain Danielou free PDFs, (which I downloaded a few), I went randomly surfing along the crest of a metawave and found this:

https://archive.org/details/sanatand...wnloads&page=4

I wooped with pure joy, because among the titles, I saw many, many books that I had read during the 1970s and 1980's... forgot that I did...and most of it would likely be out of print now... suffice to say, they don't make books like those anymore.

I must have come into Hinduism at the very end of an era, which spanned the years of about 1950 to 1990 and then sorta died with the introduction of the internets..but there is a lot there, in that link that's going to keep me busy for a while, taking a leisurely stroll down memory lane, while I refamiliarise myself with the whole tradition I was sorta inducted into...A tradition that does not change with the passage of time, despite everything and everyone around it changing (oftimes not for the better) - but I am just an old linguist, historian and Shaivite with way too much time on my hands.

I hope there is someone out there who got as much joy out of this as I did... rediscovering the old classics once again.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

I am very happy today. Whilst searching for Alain Danielou free PDFs, (which I downloaded a few), I went randomly surfing along the crest of a metawave and found this:

https://archive.org/details/sanatand...wnloads&page=4

I wooped with pure joy, because among the titles, I saw many, many books that I had read during the 1970s and 1980's... forgot that I did...and most of it would likely be out of print now... suffice to say, they don't make books like those anymore.

I must have come into Hinduism at the very end of an era, which spanned the years of about 1950 to 1990 and then sorta died with the introduction of the internets..but there is a lot there, in that link that's going to keep me busy for a while, taking a leisurely stroll down memory lane, while I refamiliarise myself with the whole tradition I was sorta inducted into...A tradition that does not change with the passage of time, despite everything and everyone around it changing (oftimes not for the better) - but I am just an old linguist, historian and Shaivite with way too much time on my hands.

I hope there is someone out there who got as much joy out of this as I did... rediscovering the old classics once again.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Lots of good resources about kundalini yoga.Bookmarked it.Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica
Lots of good resources about kundalini yoga.Bookmarked it.Thanks for sharing!
Thanks brother.

One could spend hours (and I did), just scrolling down that page to see what texts are on offer among the 50,700 + titles in that category.

What got me going, were the titles of sacred Tantric texts that I have been looking for online for years...like the Rudrayamala Tantra in the original Sanskrit.

There are also many resources on Laya Yoga (Kundalini Yoga) as you observed, and all of the fundamental texts are there... Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and everything written by BKS Iyengar, Osho, Harish Johari, and every publication from the Divine Life Society and the Bihar school of Yoga...All there.

There are also all of the Amar Chitra Katha comics...oh the collection of those I once had...and the absolute joy of reading them and letting my imagination run wild.

In addition, two publications roused my intellectual energies...The first, was a biography about Sir John Woodroffe (Arthur Avalon). The second were stories about the Aghori tradition.

https://archive.org/details/AghoraAt...201710/page/n1

Keep going my friend...down and down...and down some more... EVERYTHING is there! anything you could ever want to read about "everything Hindu" that has now been placed in the public domain.

It would keep anybody going for a few lifetimes.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Thanks brother.

One could spend hours (and I did), just scrolling down that page to see what texts are on offer among the 50,700 + titles in that category.

What got me going, were the titles of sacred Tantric texts that I have been looking for online for years...like the Rudrayamala Tantra in the original Sanskrit.

There are also many resources on Laya Yoga (Kundalini Yoga) as you observed, and all of the fundamental texts are there... Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and everything written by BKS Iyengar, Osho, Harish Johari, and every publication from the Divine Life Society and the Bihar school of Yoga...All there.

There are also all of the Amar Chitra Katha comics...oh the collection of those I once had...and the absolute joy of reading them and letting my imagination run wild.

In addition, two publications roused my intellectual energies...The first, was a biography about Sir John Woodroffe (Arthur Avalon). The second were stories about the Aghori tradition.

https://archive.org/details/AghoraAt...201710/page/n1

Keep going my friend...down and down...and down some more... EVERYTHING is there! anything you could ever want to read about "everything Hindu" that has now been placed in the public domain.

It would keep anybody going for a few lifetimes.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Yeah ,I will take some time and scroll to the bottom of it to see what more gems I could find.

I like the book about Aghoris. I love Aghoris and reading about them but don't want to become one Aghori myself because I think that path would be too tough for me
Old 08-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Master

Thanks for the interesting link, Shivani.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 08-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Knower
Wow ! Amazing load of books.

I have earmarked several titles already.
For example a commentary of the Bhagavadgita by the jnana yogi Swami Dyananda. Started reading it with joy.
Saved my day here....

I was also glad to see a tantric text by Utpaladeva. That i wanted to get my hand on..

Thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Master
Thanks for your feedback. I am happy others also found this very useful and when I came across it, I thought it would be a great thing to share in this forum.

I, too, have earmarked quite a few books (about a dozen) for my later perusal and I am still going... wondering if there could ever be such a thing as "too much knowledge"

Still, it is better than watching the "idiot box" I guess and there are so many rare titles on offer and by such great saints and yogis that it makes my head spin.

At the moment, I am re reading the Vigyan Bhairava Tantra and watching videos by Bruce Moen and Joe Espinosa and that's going to keep me busy for the next week or so, but after that, the sky's the limit!

So thank you once again for checking that out and hugs back at you.

Aum Namah Shivaya