Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 24-10-2017, 01:27 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

I've been off studying the Spanda Karikas by Jaidev Singh for the past week. Good stuff in there.

Glad you liked it Shivani Devi.

I find it very exciting...taking an online course by Sally Kempton (Durgananda). it's great to have such a wise and experienced guide to unpack these sutras, and with real contemplating exercises and meditations to supporting imbibing the material to some extent.

Took the first 6 weeks of the course last year. Now taking part II another 6 weeks.

Jay ! The Shakti is strong....
Old 24-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Master
Not a big fan of hers.

Quote:
The Dark Side

Each of these goddesses represents energies that are expressed in every arena of life— physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual. Yet traditionally, they are said to have two faces. When they aren’t understood or recognized as expressions of the divine, we can experience these energies in deluding, excessive, or even negative ways.

For example, Durga energy in its pure form is a transformative sword that cuts through obstacles and rights imbalances. That same energy can show up as aggression or harshness, as in the cutting voice of the boss from hell, or as a sword of judgment directed at others or ourselves. When Lakshmi’s abundance energy moves through the prism of ego, it can show up as greed or compulsive spending, as addictions to food or sex, as vanity or enslavement to pleasure. Saraswati’s power of divine speech becomes the endless flood of information that plays on all channels of the modern world, or the uncontrollable thoughts and fantasies that parade through the mind

She has some interesting views not wrong on some of this stuff just not sure I agree in the way it is being expressed.
Old 24-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Knower
Aha...surprising.

I have taken her course for years. She's definitively one of the best I ever met so far....

Much respected in the field...

One of the leading Buddhist teachers in the west often speaks well of her.

""Sally Kempton is well-equipped to guide us on how to love our way to the divine life and the joyous oneness it epitomizes. I often recommend Sally Kempton to my own students as a realized guide on the path of awakening. We are all blessed to have her and her genuine tantric lineage and teaching transmission in our lifetime." -Lama Surya Das Author of Natural Radiance
Old 24-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindu*
Aha...surprising.

I have taken her course for years. She's definitively one of the best I ever met so far....

Much respected in the field...

One of the leading Buddhist teachers in the west often speaks well of her.

""Sally Kempton is well-equipped to guide us on how to love our way to the divine life and the joyous oneness it epitomizes. I often recommend Sally Kempton to my own students as a realized guide on the path of awakening. We are all blessed to have her and her genuine tantric lineage and teaching transmission in our lifetime." -Lama Surya Das Author of Natural Radiance

Very nice but still her description of how divine energy is expressed is limited and I would say misleading.
Old 24-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Master
For example:

Quote:
[/For example, Durga energy in its pure form is a transformative sword that cuts through obstacles and rights imbalances.

The connection to the divine has two aspects. Clarity and energy. When connecting to the divine it is that energy that is flowing through us. The clarity/silence is what allows for that energy that is flowing through us, hitting the obstructions to be removed.

Quote:
That same energy can show up as aggression or harshness, as in the cutting voice of the boss from hell, or as a sword of judgment directed at others or ourselves. When Lakshmi’s abundance energy moves through the prism of ego, it can show up as greed or compulsive spending, as addictions to food or sex, as vanity or enslavement to pleasure.

It isn't the excess energy that comes through as ego. Think of it as more the energy is hitting the obstructions without the depth/clarity to let go of the issue. So the energy hitting upon our obstructions comes out as anger, insecurity, etc..

The energy from the divine is divine, it is not good and bad. It is our depth and clarity of mind that causes the issues that one may or may not get hit with.

That is why some traditions focus so heavily on clarity of mind before adding in energy practices in general. The energy can hit stuff and without the clarity one can very easily get caught up in stuff.
Old 25-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Knower
Ok thanks for your thoughts about it.

I regret somewhat that i brought this up here in a forum thread.

I sometimes make the mistake of sharing my spiritual practices due to feeling inspired. That is not so good. Like revealing your mantra is not supposed to be done.. It disturbs the sadhana.

She is not my Guru, but I have taken various courses of her online and read and heard of her for some 30 years. Loved and apprecieated for her wisdom and capacity for convey meditative energies to many students.
While steeped in the tantric tradition always updated on scientific issues and modern thought.

I have taken courses with Mark Dycscowski, christopher Wallis and others.
Sometimes the I haven't completed the material due to lack of felt inspiration. Although the knowledge of course were there in these good teachers.

But for me the Shakti hits right through with Sally Kempton's teachings.

Concepts have I read about become clear, and hit the core in me strongly, and the Shakti and bliss is there, in a palpable way in the teachings. This is shared by many others as well.

I will not go into discussion about details about some writings. But I think her writings are relevant and good, as written also by others.

* Just a note on an aspect of your post that may been misunderstood.

Quote:
Quote:
That same energy can show up as aggression or harshness, as in the cutting voice of the boss from hell, or as a sword of judgment directed at others or ourselves. When Lakshmi’s abundance energy moves through the prism of ego, it can show up as greed or compulsive spending, as addictions to food or sex, as vanity or enslavement to pleasure.

It isn't the excess energy that comes through as ego. Think of it as more the energy is hitting the obstructions without the depth/clarity to let go of the issue. So the energy hitting upon our obstructions comes out as anger, insecurity, etc..

Lakshmi's abundance energy written here is not about excess energy, but as an aspect of lakshmi's energy, which IS abundance, as she is a symbol of the abundance energy/shakti of the divine. Not abundance meant as excess....

Namaste
Old 25-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Knower
From the current Science and Nondual conference....

https://www.scienceandnonduality.com...sally-kempton/
Old 26-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindu*

* Just a note on an aspect of your post that may been misunderstood.

Lakshmi's abundance energy written here is not about excess energy, but as an aspect of lakshmi's energy, which IS abundance, as she is a symbol of the abundance energy/shakti of the divine. Not abundance meant as excess....

Namaste

Yes and I would completely disagree with that. It is placing the blame on our actions on the divine. It is because of her that we may get caught up in sex or violence. It is also saying that the Divine still have ego, still have these aspects as part of them.

They don't and why I disagree. Did Abhinavagupta talk about having ego aspects when One is like Siva?

Again I would have to disagree with what she is saying here. She is more trying to romanticize the feminine than anything else.

None of the people especially Abhinavagupta hid the fact that they worked with and promoted the divine feminine aka Shakti. Yet she is saying they all hid it.

Thank you for sharing your teachers and forgive me if you feel like I am attacking them.

In addition if you are interested in connecting with any of the Divine and would like a demonstration of what I am talking about please let me know. As a seeker all it would take is a few minutes of your time.

Thank you for the conversation.

Last edited by jonesboy : 26-10-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 26-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Master
' connecting with any of the Divine' ..... How many are divine and who are they ? Who gives the divine the title of divine ?
Old 26-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Knower
I have learned to see everything as the dance of the Divine. As manifestation of the Divine. Called Shakti, the (energy)of Consciousness.
It's all a play (Lila) of the Divine. Even the seemingly negative aspects.

http://americanvedantist.org/2014/ar...oblem-of-evil/
Quote:
There are different ways of viewing the divine play. Immersed in divine bliss, Ramakrishna experienced God as his blissful Mother and saw the universe as the overflowing expression of Kali’s blissful creativity. Vivekananda tended to emphasized the darker side of Kali’s play, as expressed through some of his poems:
For terror is thy name
And death is in thy breath,
And every shaking step destroys a world forever.

—from “Kali the Mother”