Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Newbie ;)

Meditation and dementia

Can meditation help people living with dementia? (Thinking that it could, I tried to interest the UK Alzheimer’s Society and Buddhist groups interested, with no success.) It occurred to me that since Buddhism teaches that we are not our minds (and doesn't complicate things with God), a short guided mindfulness session might help those clinging to the wreckage of their disintegrating minds to let go, follow their breath, and float for a while in the ocean of bliss, or thereabouts.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Master

An interesting idea in theory, but it is hard to imagine people with Alzheimer's being able to put it into practice.

Instead of attempting mindfulness meditation, perhaps meditation on music would be more effective. Music therapy has been tried with Alzheimer's patients and it does seem to help.

Peace.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM
JustASimpleGuy

My mom suffered from Alzheimer’s and it's doubtful she could have executed or maintained a formal practice, and especially as the disease progressed.

The music therapy sounds like a really good idea and there is mindfulness of sound. I wonder if that could be implemented in an informal way?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmeaning
Can meditation help people living with dementia? (Thinking that it could, I tried to interest the UK Alzheimer’s Society and Buddhist groups interested, with no success.) It occurred to me that since Buddhism teaches that we are not our minds (and doesn't complicate things with God), a short guided mindfulness session might help those clinging to the wreckage of their disintegrating minds to let go, follow their breath, and float for a while in the ocean of bliss, or thereabouts.

I worked for many years with People with Dementia and lost my Mum and recently my only Sibling to this horrible disease, they would never be able to meditate.

Music is the up-and-coming Therapy that is being introduced into their care and treatment. Dancing when able and soft exercise is also successful and showing very good results in enhancing the quality of life for a sufferer.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Newbie ;)

With constant guidance it should be possible, I'd have thought. Yes, music gets through, but it stimulates memory. Simple mindfulness could perhaps allow people living with dementia to let go of the struggle with mind and memory, for a short while at least.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Master
Quote:
With constant guidance it should be possible, I'd have thought. Yes, music gets through, but it stimulates memory. Simple mindfulness could perhaps allow people living with dementia to let go of the struggle with mind and memory, for a short while at least.

You cannot guide someone with Alzheimer's as it progresses, maybe in it's very early stages.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...s-and-dementia
Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Newbie ;)

They're already breathing...
Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
They're already breathing...

My mom couldn't even remember my name regardless how many times myself and others reminded her. I became 'The big guy'. I don't see how she could remember the basics of practice.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Newbie ;)

Memory wouldn't be involved - that's the point. Being constantly guided to follow your breath needs no memory.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Memory wouldn't be involved - that's the point. Being constantly guided to follow your breath needs no memory.

Besides, it takes a LOT of practice to get to the point where one experiences a deep meditative state for any length of time.

I'm sorry, but it's just not reality.