Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 20-09-2019, 12:37 AM
Deactivated Account
Going silent

I've been feeling the need to go silent for some time.

Just in my day to day life for a few days.

I'm doing a group throat chakra meditation tonight and during the lead up to it I have felt the desire to stop speaking in the lead up to it.

I have a family though but I will be having a 'child free' break soon so that will be a good time to be silent as there will be limited requirements to be met by me.

Has anyone ever decided to do a silent retreat in normal, everyday life?

It seems like something I'd really need to plan and structure.

I enjoy writing but I'm unsure if writing would have a place during the silence or not?
Old 20-09-2019, 02:10 AM
Master

I have friends who have been to such vipassana retreats. The fact that they revisit would mean that they derive benefit from doing so.

Others found themselves getting restless!

Inner silence is our default orientation swathed in ineffable bliss.

Old 20-09-2019, 05:25 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

I have friends who have been to such vipassana retreats. The fact that they revisit would mean that they derive benefit from doing so.

Others found themselves getting restless!

Inner silence is our default orientation swathed in ineffable bliss.

Thank you Unseeking seeker
I also know some people who have done such retreats as well - with mixed reviews. Some people gained so much and others not so much.

I will not be doing a retreat as I do not have the resources and I don't think I'd do very well in that setting at this point in my life.

I am always very restless too haha - which is part of the reason I'd like to have a few silent days while still being in the world and society.

I think that I will set up a few days next week to be silent.
Old 20-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Master

Nothing to set up really ... the seeming noise or disturbance disappears if we keep flowing in the now continuum in a thought rested state of inner alignment

Old 20-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Nothing to set up really ... the seeming noise or disturbance disappears if we keep flowing in the now continuum in a thought rested state of inner alignment

Thank you.
Old 20-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Master
You can write from a place of silence, I frequently do that myself. Your writing, just like your doing other things
while silent, will come from silence and not from thoughts. In Sanskrit it is called "satsang" or speaking from a
quiet heart or center. I often meditate on silence while posting here on SF.

I used to have retreats of silence in my home on holidays. Like Thanksgiving, over the Christmas holiday, etc.,
going four or more days with inner silence. No T.V., turn off my cell phone, and only sparingly going online. Listening
to only inspirational music and reading spiritual material from a place of silence.

These days I go camping in my RV monthly for a week or two, and often plan a silent getaway from society. Being
out in nature is my church and when I am silent inside animals in the great outdoors respond to me in a gentle way,
and my perception of nature takes on a humble majestic perspective.

Practicing inner silence for long periods has many excellent benefits that can help you in the here and now,
as well as in the future.
Old 20-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
You can write from a place of silence, I frequently do that myself. Your writing, just like your doing other things
while silent, will come from silence and not from thoughts. In Sanskrit it is called "satsang" or speaking from a
quiet heart or center. I often meditate on silence while posting here on SF.

I used to have retreats of silence in my home on holidays. Like Thanksgiving, over the Christmas holiday, etc.,
going four or more days with inner silence. No T.V., turn off my cell phone, and only sparingly going online. Listening
to only inspirational music and reading spiritual material from a place of silence.

These days I go camping in my RV monthly for a week or two, and often plan a silent getaway from society. Being
out in nature is my church and when I am silent inside animals in the great outdoors respond to me in a gentle way,
and my perception of nature takes on a humble majestic perspective.

Practicing inner silence for long periods has many excellent benefits that can help you in the here and now,
as well as in the future.

Thank you for the helpful advice.
I'm feeling quite inspired after reading through it.

I have decided to practice one day of silence this weekend and a few days next week.

I am strangely looking forward to it.

I did the throat chakra meditation last night and it made me very aware of the great value of having space in my communication with others, listening and talking.

I'm looking forward to reflecting on this feeling of 'space' to just be, holding space for myself and others and how I might incorporate more of it in my connections with others going forward.