Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 06-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
This is good news r6, because I really really like beans!

They are also one of the best foods for long-term storage (in case you're a 'prepper' ) Dried beans vacuum-sealed in mylar bags in moderately cool conditions can last 10 years or more with good preservation of nutrients.

Certain beans can last longer than that!

My paternal great grandfathers brother was a settler in the 4 corners area (the place where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico come together on the map in the late 1800,s and early 1900's. and is credited as the man who discovered the till then unknown Anasazi bean.

The 4 corners is where the ancient and extinct Anasazi Indians lived till about 1200 AD

The Anasazi were a cliff dwelling people who cultivated a few crops around there pueblos...one of which was a particular type of bean known today as the Anasazi bean or sometimes called "cave beans".

The Anasazi bean was lost to mankind till the early 1900's when my ancestor discovered the beans growing wild around Anasazi ruins and he and other local settlers started growing them as a crop...but just for personal consumption they were not known commercially at that time.

Then in the 1950's a group of archaeologists excavating an Anasazi pueblo found a clay pot containing dried beans of an unknown sort ....radiocarbon dating showed the beans and pot to be almost 1500 years old!

Amazingly...when the scientists attempted to cultivate some of the beans in the lab......some of them sprouted!!!

Not long after that it was discovered that locals in the area knew about the beans and had bean growing them in family gardens from heirloom seeds for decades.

In the late 1970's a company called Adobe Milling bought the rights to produce and sell the Anasazi beans...after several years of planting and building up the crops from the few seeds available...the Anasazi bean went on the market in 1983....

Today...the Anasazi offers a huge amount of nutrition even compared to other beans.

While it is a cousin of the Pinto bean....it has only about 25% of the "gas producing" properties of most beans...has considerably less starch and a better and more complete amino acid profile. It is also a great source of various B vitamins and iron and of course lots of fiber.

My diet is paleo and I find these ancient beans a great fit even though some practitioners of paleo don't think beans are part of a paleo diet...I've researched use of legumes by ancient peoples a lot and very much disagree with that assessment!

Here in Texas, Anasazi beans are sold by all the grocery stores but if you can't find them you can order it from these people

https://www.anasazibeans.com/beans.html

Try them....I think you'll be impressed!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color Love the Whole Paleothic Age

My wife and I just came back from I 4th visit to the Colorado Plateau high desert. Most of our visits, except this last was to visit ancient and current indian sites, ex chaco canyon{ my favorite }, Mersa Verda, Canyon of the Ancients, Anzazi Musem of the Ancients, Canyon Dechelle, Aztec, Window Rock and musem of Navaho nation, etc.

Loved all of those so very much and all the studying of current and Paleolithic ages.

However, I never thought much about a Anaszi bean. They appear to be related or likened to a black bean?

One thing we did learn at the Ansazi Musem in Dolores CO, is that the indians think of the word Anasazia as a deorgatory term, and prefer the 'the old ones' or 'the ancient ones',as is stated on the bean site.

One thing I also learned is that the high corn diet was hard on indians teeth if not also mexicans. Apparrently corn is eats away at teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
My paternal great grandfathers brother was a settler in the 4 corners area (the place where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico come together on the map in the late 1800,s and early 1900's. and is credited as the man who discovered the till then unknown Anasazi bean.

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 06-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r

However, I never thought much about a Anaszi bean. They appear to be related or likened to a black bean?

One thing I also learned is that the high corn diet was hard on indians teeth if not also mexicans. Apparrently corn is eats away at teeth.

The Anasazi bean is actually a distant cousin to the pinto bean....and yeah....corn has no place in the human diet!! There is just nothing good about it!! It spikes blood sugar to diabetic levels....is hell on tooth enamel (as the Indians found out!) and is one of the worst food there is for digestive health...I wont touch the stuff!!!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!