Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 22-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Master
Be Strong and Healthy

There are only two things: what you eat and, what you do.

From that simple, true statement we deal with complex people who live within environmental conditions which arn't exactly conducive to optimal well-being.

As a result of living 'normally' in consumer society, we see trends of increasing rates of obesity and lower rates of fitness in younger and younger people over time, which has tragic effects on individual and social well-being.

The main issue is people are not taught about food and nutrition as part of their regular school education, nor are they taught about the physiology of physical movement, let alone how food interacts with physiology as the energy that supports the moving body. People are disempowered by this lack of critically important knowledge.

Our doctors are taught about the drugs that assist with ailments, but are not taught about nutrition and physiology in medical school. That is bizarre considering that they know that the majority of diseases they treat are diet/sedentary related.

Doctor will prescribe medicine if you are ill, which is good, but it doesn't make anyone healthy and strong. That depends of what you eat and what you do.

The foundational aspect of what you eat is calories. Calories is energy. What you eat determines how much energy goes in, and what you do determines how much energy goes out. On the foundation of 'calorie balance' a nutrition plan can be established.

I hope to discuss on this thread so that people will learn what they should have been taught in school, what doctors should have been taught in med school. People need to know because they will be empowered by it. This is very important, because in a society which has terribly adverse trends regarding obesity and fitness rates in younger and younger people, the scale of harm is unimaginable!
Old 23-11-2018, 01:39 AM
Master
I went online to find great information on making a nutrition plan, but the most common information is based on the assumption that people are ignorant. This is understandable, because people are ignorant having not been nutritionally educated in school.

The main issue is, the institutional organisations have to base their narrative on the government dietary guidelines - the 'food pyramid' - but because that pyramid is produced under the influence of powerful food industry lobby groups, it represents a conflict of interest in regards to health. Indeed, the food pyramid guidelines themselves are produced on the basis that the populace is nutritionally ignorant, and in the many years these guidelines have been promoted to the public, adverse outcomes in obesity and fitness rates have continued to escalate.

I looked through the popular information on you tube and health websites, which generally assume public ignorance, and are geared toward marketing and popuarity, and do not explain much. A lot of popular content is misleading because any one with reasonable presentation skillz can become a 'diet guru' on the internet.

None of this is working. Obesity and fitness rates are still becoming increasingly adverse, even though there is a 'food pyramid' and an overdose of 'information' (and I use that word very loosely) online.

If people know how to think through their nutrition, then they are no longer ignorant and at the mercy of industry interests and popularised hocum. If people know, they are empowered toward being stronger, healthier and happier.

Delusion is also an issue. I remember my nutritional 'information' was learned in spiritualism, and I was so sure I knew what I knew, but when I became an athlete and started learning about sports nutrition, I suddenly realised I was sooooo full of sh!t. When I started to eat a proper nutrient profile based on scientifically proven successful outcomes, I realised - this is how you do it! Once I knew how to do it, I ate proper nutrition and I worked the body and became strong and healthy. It works.
Old 23-11-2018, 04:20 AM
Master

All great points, and I fully subscribe to them.

What I'd like to add ...

There are also many health providers, and "scientists" that are incompetent. It is very difficult for a layman to sift the right from wrong health related information, as it is in any other domain.

To disseminate an useful message, one has to pick their battles.

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

This means that we could achieve 80% of our health goals by applying only 20% of the principles of healthy living.

There are many tweaks that can improve our health, but if we concentrated on the low hanging fruits we could achieve a dramatic turn for the better in the general population's health.

It is like the golden principle of weight loss: eat less calories! Whenever I write this, immediately I get comments that say, but you should it x because ... , you shouldn't eat y because ... , you should do that type of workout because ... , etc., etc., and the message is lost in the heap of information.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 24-11-2018, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan

What I'd like to add ...

There are also many health providers, and "scientists" that are incompetent. It is very difficult for a layman to sift the right from wrong health related information, as it is in any other domain.

Lay people cherry pick information that supports their preconceptions. This is often how 'diets' are marketed. Scientists read things differently because when a paper comes out, the findings are discussed. The methodological weaknesses are pointed out. It is compared with previous findings and questioned where things don't match. You see, science is a conversation rather than an answer, and when I started to eat a proper nutrition profile I was surprised that it closely matched what my grandma served up in a day. She was no scientist. She was an uneducated housewife. She could barely read at all, but she knew what was best for nutrition. That was before the 'obesity crisis' blew up. She lived to 87, and her husband (a railway labourer), to 91.

Quote:

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

This means that we could achieve 80% of our health goals by applying only 20% of the principles of healthy living.

That's true.

Quote:
There are many tweaks that can improve our health, but if we concentrated on the low hanging fruits we could achieve a dramatic turn for the better in the general population's health.

For sure.

Quote:
It is like the golden principle of weight loss: eat less calories!

Calories is the energy, and energy=mass, so the calorie balance (energy in vs. energy out) is the bottom line.

I googled 'The most important factor in weight (fat) loss'. The first article said it's sleep. The second said genes, metabolic rate, 'eating patterns', exercise. The third said social support, 'nutrition' and exercise. The fourth said NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), which only means non-exercise activity . The fifth said portion control.

None of them said 'calorie balance' and explained that means energy in vs. energy out, so an online lay reader will sleep better, get confused by the second one, do some exercise, get their mates to support them, take the stairs for NEAT, and eat smaller portions (but more often) - but still take more calories than they expend!

All of the articles' main points are valid (though the content was not), but none of these points are 'the most important factor! Not one said calorie balance is the critical factor.

In this way there is heaps 'information' (and I'm using that term in the loosest possible way) out there, and it's not 'wrong' in general, but it is what I'd call a misleading 'twisting of the truth'.

Quote:
Whenever I write this, immediately I get comments that say, but you should it x because ... , you shouldn't eat y because ... , you should do that type of workout because ... , etc., etc., and the message is lost in the heap of information.

Indeed - and the articles I exampled above also illustrate your point.
Old 24-11-2018, 01:08 AM
Master
Quote:

What I'd like to add ...

Lay people cherry pick information that supports their preconceptions. This is often how 'diets' are marketed. Scientists real things differently because when a paper comes out, the findings are discussed. The methodological weaknesses are pointed out. It is compared with previous findings and questioned where things don't match. You see, science is a conversation rather than an answer, and when I started to eat a proper nutrition profile I was surprised that it closely matched what my grandma served up in a day. She was uneducated housewife, could barely read, but she knew what was best for nutrition. That was before the 'obesity crisis' blew up. She lived to 87, and her husband (a railway labourer), to 91.

Quote:

That's true.

Quote:

For sure.

Quote:
It is like the golden principle of weight loss: eat less calories!

Calories is the energy, and energy=mass, so the calorie balance (energy in vs. energy out) is the bottom line.

I googled 'The most important factor in weight (fat) loss'. The first article said it's sleep. The second said genes, metabolic rate, 'eating patterns', exercise. The third said social support, 'nutrition' and exercise. The fourth said NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), which only means non-exercise activity . The fifth said portion control.

None of them said 'calorie balance' and explained that means energy in ve. energy out, so a lay reader will sleep better, get confused by the second one, do some exercise, get their mates to support them, take the stairs for NEAT, and eat smaller portions (but more often) - but still take more calories than they expend!

All of the articles' main points are valid (though the content was not) , but none of these points are 'the most important factor! Not one said calorie balance is the critical factor.

In this way there is heaps 'information' (and I'm using that term in the loosest possible way) out there, and it's not 'wrong' in general, but it's what I'd call a misleading 'twisting of the truth'.

Quote:
Whenever I write this, immediately I get comments that say, but you should it x because ... , you shouldn't eat y because ... , you should do that type of workout because ... , etc., etc., and the message is lost in the heap of information.

Indeed - and the articles I exampled above also illustrate your point.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Master
I just wanted to share the incredible journey of Jesse Shand, who's story is truly inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svuSIYQu74
Old 25-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I just wanted to share the incredible journey of Jesse Shand, who's story is truly inspirational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svuSIYQu74

15 years ago I dropped 135 lb over 12 months, from ~300 lb to ~165 lb, using only calorie restriction (~1,400 calories/day), exercising everyday (~30 min; warming up, Jorge Cruise's "8 Minutes in the Morning", stretches), brisk walking almost everyday (~25-30 min).

I am still 162 lb today.

No gimmicks. Anybody can do it.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Master
Quote:
15 years ago I dropped 135 lb over 12 months, from ~300 lb to ~165 lb, using only calorie restriction (~1,400 calories/day), exercising everyday (~30 min; warming up, Jorge Cruise's "8 Minutes in the Morning", stretches), brisk walking almost everyday (~25-30 min).

I am still 162 lb today.

No gimmicks. Anybody can do it.

Wow, and kudos to you!

I'd say 1400 cals represents a severe calorie deficit, and probably not ideal in terms of muscle mass retention, and it could present some metabolic issues as the body adapts to such a low energy intake, but it is certainly an effective, reasonably low risk way to shed a ton of fat relatively quickly while still getting the essential nutrients - where losing weight fast is the main or only goal - which is an appropriate goal for people weighing in excess of 300 lbs (~135 kg). And it worked, right?!!

When I became concerned about my unfit state not 3 years ago at age 49, I weighed about 200 lb (92 kg), at 193 cm tall (6'4"). I wasn't really overweight according to BMI, but actually I was overweight because I had very little muscle mass and a lot of fat, most of which had accumulated on my podgy little pot belly. I probably was about 30-40% fat even though I wasn't technically 'overweight'.

I lost weight very slowly because I only had a 300-500 cal/day deficit, eating around about 2300 cals. I reduced weight by about a kilo (4.5 lbs) per month. I was on high protein and also hitting the gym pretty hard, so I accumulated a small amount of muscle mass while shedding the excessive fat. I went down to 82 kilos (180lbs) in 10 months before I started eating to build muscle with a 250 cal/day surplus, and 2 years later I'm at 92 again, but with <20% fat, and strong AF.

Now that I have been really unfit and traveled to road to being healthy and strong, I want to help others along their way, in their own way, so I went back to school and received Personal Trainer qualifications.
Old 27-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Wow, and kudos to you!

I'd say 1400 cals represents a severe calorie deficit, and probably not ideal in terms of muscle mass retention, and it could present some metabolic issues as the body adapts to such a low energy intake, but it is certainly an effective, reasonably low risk way to shed a ton of fat relatively quickly while still getting the essential nutrients - where losing weight fast is the main or only goal - which is an appropriate goal for people weighing in excess of 300 lbs (~135 kg). And it worked, right?!!

When I became concerned about my unfit state not 3 years ago at age 49, I weighed about 200 lb (92 kg), at 193 cm tall (6'4"). I wasn't really overweight according to BMI, but actually I was overweight because I had very little muscle mass and a lot of fat, most of which had accumulated on my podgy little pot belly. I probably was about 30-40% fat even though I wasn't technically 'overweight'.

I lost weight very slowly because I only had a 300-500 cal/day deficit, eating around about 2300 cals. I reduced weight by about a kilo (4.5 lbs) per month. I was on high protein and also hitting the gym pretty hard, so I accumulated a small amount of muscle mass while shedding the excessive fat. I went down to 82 kilos (180lbs) in 10 months before I started eating to build muscle with a 250 cal/day surplus, and 2 years later I'm at 92 again, but with <20% fat, and strong AF.

Now that I have been really unfit and traveled to road to being healthy and strong, I want to help others along their way, in their own way, so I went back to school and received Personal Trainer qualifications.

Your quite tall.
You know when you get a feel on someone and you completely miss the mark with regards to little things, such as their height. I do that often, especially online. I wonder and I hope you don’t mind me asking. Is it more to do with not wanting to stand out? I’m not tall. About 5ft 4 1/2. At times I want to be taller, so being a female, I can add a little height with shoes, which is handy I must say..

Your an inspiration in so many ways of your life experience and the work you have done on yourself. I am sure your a good model just being yourself as you are.
Old 27-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
There are only two things: what you eat and, what you do.

From that simple, true statement we deal with complex people who live within environmental conditions which arn't exactly conducive to optimal well-being.

As a result of living 'normally' in consumer society, we see trends of increasing rates of obesity and lower rates of fitness in younger and younger people over time, which has tragic effects on individual and social well-being.

The main issue is people are not taught about food and nutrition as part of their regular school education, nor are they taught about the physiology of physical movement, let alone how food interacts with physiology as the energy that supports the moving body. People are disempowered by this lack of critically important knowledge.

Our doctors are taught about the drugs that assist with ailments, but are not taught about nutrition and physiology in medical school. That is bizarre considering that they know that the majority of diseases they treat are diet/sedentary related.

Doctor will prescribe medicine if you are ill, which is good, but it doesn't make anyone healthy and strong. That depends of what you eat and what you do.

The foundational aspect of what you eat is calories. Calories is energy. What you eat determines how much energy goes in, and what you do determines how much energy goes out. On the foundation of 'calorie balance' a nutrition plan can be established.

I hope to discuss on this thread so that people will learn what they should have been taught in school, what doctors should have been taught in med school. People need to know because they will be empowered by it. This is very important, because in a society which has terribly adverse trends regarding obesity and fitness rates in younger and younger people, the scale of harm is unimaginable!
We are definitely, what we eat and how we move. There is a guy online who runs a great program. It makes sense in me that you can incorporate a lifestyle of activity through every day living. He holds some interesting views (he eats everything)which tends to tie into why many of our older generation who physically worked hard and often ate everything, lived a more healthy active life. I’ll find the video and post it..