Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 28-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden_Greywolf
Hi there, its been awhile since I've posted on this forum, but I find myself asking questions again that I'd like insight on. In this case, the problem of, from one perspective, pointless evil. (I ask here because its hard to find discussions on this matter that aren't always from the perspective of belief in a Christian God).

So, pointless evil. In my opinion this would classify as accidents or natural disasters.

How have you reconciled this problem in regards to your beliefs?

Hi Rayden-Greywolf and welcome back to the forum. If one is talking about accidents or natural disasters I don't put them in the same category as something evil done purposefully in order to harm others. I watch the news and am horrified at all the wildfires that are burning hundreds of thousands of acres. It makes me mad as heck and my heart aches for not only those people that live near forests, but the animal and plant life as well. Same with floods. It's just devastating what floods can do. When I look at these two types of events I don't seem them as pointless evil, but as reality of global climate change due to mankind's disregard for pollution that causes such.

Many forest fires are set by a lightening strike on a patch of dead or very dry trees. Floods too occur when a region can't handle the amount of rain fall. But when a forest fire is intentionally set by an arsonist - that's what I consider pointless evil. It's intent is to destroy and it is not random or a part of nature.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:57 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Hmm, well true.

Out of curiosity, do you believe in an inherently benevolent universe/god/spirit?

There is no such thing as a benevolent universe/god/spirit. It's an oxymoron.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Pathfinder

Good and evil, benevolence and malevolence are a standard which humans use to determine whether they want to include or exclude you in their communes. At best they can be used to maintain order and keep the harmful individuals away, but at worst they're very narrow standards imposed us and used to harm vulnerable individuals whether they actually were "good" or "evil". Yet it's okay to have some basic understanding what people mean with good and evil because having common language allows clear communication obviously.

Other animals aside from humans haven't been proven to have concept of good and evil (correct me if I'm wrong!), but they do have hierarchies and roles in their packs that are defined by something. They may also exclude and include individuals in their packs. Yet things such as natural disasters also affect animals regardless of whether pack animals or not, tamed or wild! Nature is no good nor evil, it's the environment we live in. Those things we perceive as good from nature are indeed blessings according to our own definitions and it's okay to feel that way, just as much as it's okay to feel angry when natural disasters take away something/someone dear to us. It's natural and okay to feel when something coming from our surroundings impacts us or anyone we care about but where we draw the line of healthy moderation is our own choice.
We can't control nature (although we may try), but we are still able to prevent some things from happening by taking precautions and understanding basics, we can still adapt to circumstances to survive. However if we'd once succeed in controlling nature, what do you think would happen to our ability to adapt? It's already weaker than for wildlife because we compensate it with our ability to build something bigger than the nests and territories which other animals do.

At least that's how I see it as non-religious person.

(yes, I say "other animals" because human species is still a mammal and an animal, no matter how religions like teaching us being holier than any other species. Setting oneself above another only works in domination and warfare, while humility works with understanding and acceptance)
Old 14-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublyVenomous
Setting oneself above another only works in domination and warfare, while humility works with understanding and acceptance)

Truth in this statement cannot be denied, DV. It's a strong statement that cuts right to the heart of so many problems there are in the world today.
Old 16-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
It would only be evil if there was a conscious mind behind it. But things like natural disasters and accidents are just random events without any meaning, though I see what you're refering to. I can write an entire book about how injust this world is where bad things seem to happen more often to good people rather than those who deserve them comming.

You can't say that about bad things happening to good people - because you don't know. Nor do you know who deserves what.

Whether there is really a law of 'what you sow you reap' is unknown. There are however those things that can be avoided and those things that can be caused. But 'good' or 'bad' cannot be defined. Everything has a second side.
Old 23-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Hi there, its been awhile since I've posted on this forum, but I find myself asking questions again that I'd like insight on. In this case, the problem of, from one perspective, pointless evil. (I ask here because its hard to find discussions on this matter that aren't always from the perspective of belief in a Christian God).

So, pointless evil. In my opinion this would classify as accidents or natural disasters.

How have you reconciled this problem in regards to your beliefs?

In the relative realm accidents and natural disasters come about as an evil for the personal entity who view things from the relative perspective of good and evil.

But impersonally speaking, these are just natural events that come and go.

Personalising it creates the issue.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 24-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Master
i no.............

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔