Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemcsnarly
This made me think of something that happened to me a couple of months ago. I was laying on my back meditating before I went to sleep one evening. I don't think I was feeling all that great anyway, and I think I was being a little forceful with the meditation.

I started to drift off to sleep in a meditative state when I suddenly heard as loud as anything from within a baby crying. It was like I was a baby crying out from within myself as loud and real as anything, which woke me straight up. I don't know what it was, but it felt like my inner child, or inner self was in distress.

I usually don't do personal stuff on these threads, but under the circumstances I think a small disclosure would be OK.

I had a thing I used to do which I called conversations with myself (it was a toungue in cheek 'Conversations with God' joke really) but they were serious conversations.

Children would come and talk to me, and when I was a little child, my parents were in turmoil and I wanted to run away, but I was too small and the world was big and scary.

The Kid came and told me, so I took him and we ran away together... and he told me the stuff he liked and I had to make a place in my mind where he felt safe and could play... and it took time, but he came to trust me because he could be himself, he could hate his parents and eff the world, and I didn't care, I liked it.

So there ya go, that's my personal bit.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Charliemcsnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I usually don't do personal stuff on these threads, but under the circumstances I think a small disclosure would be OK.

I had a thing I used to do which I called conversations with myself (it was a toungue in cheek 'Conversations with God' joke really) but they were serious conversations.

Children would come and talk to me, and when I was a little child, my parents were in turmoil and I wanted to run away, but I was too small and the world was big and scary.

The Kid came and told me, so I took him and we ran away together... and he told me the stuff he liked and I had to make a place in my mind where he felt safe and could play... and it took time, but he came to trust me because he could be himself, he could hate his parents and eff the world, and I didn't care, I liked it.

So there ya go, that's my personal bit.

Thank you Gem! Do you think we all make a place in our mind for that child?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Master
Alone

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

Edgar Allan Poe
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Sybilline

I like Edgar Allan Poe's works... :)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemcsnarly
Thank you Gem! Do you think we all make a place in our mind for that child?

In a symbolic way... there is. I did have go to where he was to retrieve him... so he was already in a place in my mind... but lived as a fragment which was apart from me... but through the cultivation of a relationship of acceptance safety and trust we come together to be a more whole as a person.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Master
Along this line... a way I've worked with my inner child and with others is to develop a caring relationship with those parts of my mind at various ages... in the deeper mind's world of memory and feeling.

In other words, you can reach out to the 'you' that was 2 or 5 or 13 in your subconscious mind, and is still feeling neglected or wounded from things that happened then, and from people important in your early life.

Through images and sounds and feelings, you may listen to the story with acceptance and understanding. Once the story is told you might invite that hurt part of yourself into your deep heart, to live there forever. It may be immediately accepted or take a little time to come to this completion.

I always make sure there's no manipulation of the child part to do or be as I, the adult, thinks or wants... but to be a responsive kind friend to him or her.

A lot of healing and integration can come from connecting with the parts of you from the ages that are significant in one way or another.

You may also develop a friendly adult-child relationship with the parts of you that knew how to play, or need to learn it's okay now to have fun... by playing it out in a movie of the mind.

This works because the subconscious mind accepts as real whatever it experiences fully in pictures, sounds and feelings.

Xan

Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Master

I think it's weird that memories stored in our mind are alive. I still don't know what the inner child is, from what I can tell it's memory from when we were children that forms some kind of person in the mind. Since that person is first experiencing the memories and is new to them, he/she forms it's basic understanding of during those first years. Then when we get older we have to bury and hide it to survive in the world. It doesn't make much sense.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Neville

Possibly, trying to view things with the same sense of wonder that a child does. Truth is a real killer here. Matter of factness removes the almost fairy tale element of wonder. Something awe inspiring once a day... Could be as simple as the dawn Chorus that birds sing, A Sun rise,The Power and roar of a Tide Majesticly rolling in(I love the Ocean). A Thunderstorm, A great Oak, a delicate bloom, The sound of laughter. A Hug..... Theres so much around us that we become used to and after a while hardly notice it at all and yet if we took the time to see. We wold perhaps rekindle that sense of wonder we experienced in our first encounters with these things.... It's worth a try because I think their might be some refreshment in it
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Master
This is well said, Neville. However it's difficult, and impossible for some people, to see with that natural sense of wonder when there are unhealed wounds in the child of the subconscious mind. With healing and releasing one's childhood past, the mind and heart may open in surprising ways.

Xan

Last edited by Xan : 09-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Deactivated Account
Lovely thread. I find inner child work very painful to be honest although I have worked a lot on myself and the experiences I've had. For me, the feeling of loneliness is still incredibly raw, perhaps not surprising since I still feel a lot of it now. But the loneliness of a child is far, far worse. It doesn't take much to send me back into that place and feel the tears.