Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 27-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Greg

Excercise for depression

Do you know what kind of exercises would be good when one is suffering heavily from depression? Before you ask I am getting medical treatment for it. When I'm really depressed and have zero energy I find it impossible to do running, or anything cardiovascular, I'll usually walk or maybe do some yoga stretches.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Master
Greg... I've found energy healing methods can often relieve depression quickly, and with consistent use may change the pattern entirely.

The one I recommend most often these days is The Healing Code, which can be learned best from the book by that name.

And here's a thread on the topic:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31115

Xan

Old 28-06-2012, 12:18 AM
MYFIGO

Actually weight lifting is a good one because you can start with lower reps and then do the suggested rest in between sets. It even worked with me as I have exercise induced asthma.

A short warm up is good with your stretches and/or yoga. Then I would suggest starting at 40% of what you think you can do. Once you can do the 40% level too easily, add a second set and increase the weight slightly. 10 sets of each exercise with a rest of 30 seconds before moving on to the next exercise is a good goal. When you increase the weight, you won't be able to do the full ten. There is no pressure to get to the next level. Let your body tell you when you are ready to move on. You will gain a lot of strength by doing each rep slowly and with correct form, including the release. A great workout plan is upper body three days a week with the lower body in between.

Any exercise that will "break a sweat" seems to have an impressive effect on depression and will even produce a pleasant feeling.

I know from experience. Good luck.
Old 28-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Master
Hi Greg. For indoor exercise, I dance, I have a mini-trampoline, and plan on starting lifting free weights. Outdoors, just walk, bike-riding, and I'd rollerblading - if they weren't mean to me.

Old 28-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Sybilline

Hi Greg, it's silly but crying works wonders for me. Once I have cleared my mind through that then I do stuff that makes me happy, sometimes I go out and just reconnect with nature.

If you have dogs they are absolutely perfect companions, I don't know if they know you're sad or not but the fact that they seem so unaffected and will just shower you with nothing but love ---- no advice, no pity, nothing ---- sometimes that's all I need.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Knower

I highly recommend working out first thing. I can trick myself into doing more when I'm not properly awake If I wait til later in the day I'll convince myself I can't do it for whatever reason.

Also, I have much more energy when I'm excercising regularly, the first few times really are the hardest, especially if you are running or lifting weights, you'll ache and not want to keep going, but lighter reps help with that! Honestly, breaks longer than a few days are bad for me, my energy drops and I start feeling depressed. Just make sure you are eating enough to compensate for the extra energy expended!

I hate cardio, I'm all for weight lifting. Heavy weights at lowish reps, easy!

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
http://stronglifts.com/

Pick something that allows you to set goals, it's a huge boost when you reach them. I just started with heavy (for me) weights, now even when I go up 5lbs I feel awesome.
Old 29-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Henri77

Yet there's a lot to be said for (fast) walking in nature & fresh air.
Especially combined with a healing meditation-intent.

When exercise itself doesn't seem feasable, suitable.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
sesheta

I think any kind of exercise helps - but the more it gets your heart pumping, etc the better - exercise releases endorphins - the "feel-good" chemical our body produces when we get a good work-out...
That being said...off I go to do a work out
Old 06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesheta
I think any kind of exercise helps - but the more it gets your heart pumping, etc the better - exercise releases endorphins - the "feel-good" chemical our body produces when we get a good work-out...
That being said...off I go to do a work out

My sentiments exactly.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Racer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Do you know what kind of exercises would be good when one is suffering heavily from depression? Before you ask I am getting medical treatment for it. When I'm really depressed and have zero energy I find it impossible to do running, or anything cardiovascular, I'll usually walk or maybe do some yoga stretches.

It would be wise to exer-cise the "thoughts" which are binding you to depression.

Spend the next year dedicated to a daily practice of that and just walk and reflect while practicing what is thought in "The Secret Of Letting Go by Guy Finley" and "The Mystic Path To Cosmic Power by Vernon Howard". If any really dark times hit ...... that is great! For in those times one can break THROUGH if the desire to heal is greater then the desire to remain in depression.

By the way..... I waked the walk and depression has not returned in 10 years. If I could beat that demon.... so can you.